PDA

View Full Version : I figured out Indiana Jones: Temple of the Forbidden Eye!

sdfilmcritic
02-02-2005, 03:00 AM
I feel so smart! I finally figured out how the three doors/hallways on the Indiana Jones ride operate! Over the last ten years it bugged the heck out of me how a ride with only one operational track could send the vehicles through three seperate halls. I knew it had to be only one hallway, but my problem was figuring out the optical illusion of turning one real hallway into an assumed three hallways. I figured it out! :evil genius laugh:

02-02-2005, 05:28 AM
Is this something you want to share with the class, mister?

disneyhound
02-02-2005, 06:01 AM
tease

sdfilmcritic
02-02-2005, 06:02 AM
I'll put the description below in the spoiler tags so that it is hidden from those who don't want to know how it works. There's a diagram photo (http://misc.exitfiftyfour.com/indy.jpg) to go along with the description.

Refer to the diagram for this description. As you can see in the image the basic layout for the Indiana Jones track at the very start of the ride from the time you load into your vehicle to the time you look into the eyes of the statue. When you are in your vehicle staring at the three doors of your future you are in fact looking at a wall that has five doors (one of the doors is real and operative, while the other four are fake). Notice the slashed gray lines and the unbroken black line. The black lines are a pair of swinging walls and the gray dotted lines are the areas where the walls can swing too. You will only be able to see three out of the five doors at one time. After you pass through the one true and operative door the walls will swing into another position before the next vehicle is dispatched. This gives the illusion that each vehicle is going through a different door, when every vehicle is going through the same door!

stan4d_steph
02-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Someone posted that a looong time ago here. I think it was in the Disneyland Secrets thread. That thread was chock full of info.

calguy77
02-02-2005, 06:45 AM
I never thought I was going down a different hallway, i always new it was what you figured out. I guess Disney does such a good job it may fool anyone.

hbquikcomjamesl
02-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Yes, and once you pass the door, the lighting and soundtrack determine which hall you appear to be in.

marktips
02-02-2005, 07:55 AM
The miracle of theatrical scrim.

Opus1guy
02-02-2005, 09:16 AM
We learned this at the special Club 33 Members Only Indian Jones Dinner Event (that I got to tag along as a Guest) pre-opening of Indiana Jones. The 3 Imagineering Show Producers were present to discuss the then-new attraction, and then after dinner we all walked over to Indy, each group was assigned an Imagineer, and experienced it all of 3 different ways:

1. Normal ride
2. Slow "Maintenance" Ride - with Imagineer Tony Baxter as our car's guide and narrator.
3. Walk Through - with white work lights on and Tony explaining everything!

And concluded with riding in Normal mode one last time. All of the above after having had a few "Adult Beverages" which made it even more fun! :)

The thing that threw me was the rolling boulder room. The boulder doesn't move at all! The whole room does and you sit still! The boulder just spins. Tony said one of the Imagineers got the idea when he was in an automated Car Wash, and as the frame of the washing unit started to move around him, he slammed on the car's brakes in auto-reflex because it gave the illusion that his car was moving. Been there, done that! :)

Andrew
02-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Opus, I added [spoiler] tags around your last paragraph. I think many people here are interested in knowing how these things work, but we don't want to ruin it for those who don't.

PhishyBrewer
02-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Never forget about the magic. Once you figure out the trick, it's just another thing.

Tigertail777
02-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Actually for me once you figure out the trick it makes it seem even more ingenious and intrigueing. But then again, I am a Imagineer wanna be. LOL

Opus1guy
02-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Tigertail777 writes:
Actually for me once you figure out the trick it makes it seem even more ingenious and intrigueing.

Same here. I guess that's why Walt and the Disney Company after him, often revealed such secrets on their TV shows and such. And Disney Magazine continues to do that as well. Much of the public wants to know "how do they do that?"

But Thanks for adding the spoiler shield Andrew. Forgot that some would rather not know. :)

Captain Josh
02-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Yes, but can you explain the weird guy in khaki with the leather flight cap that hangs around there sometimes? Neither can I.

sdfilmcritic
02-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Someone posted that a looong time ago here. I think it was in the Disneyland Secrets thread. That thread was chock full of info.: pats myself on the back: "Thank you SD for being such a geeky, figure it out type of guy." :geek:

dehnehsu
02-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Mini Spoiler....

To sum it up. You always go down the same hallway. To deceive, The lighting (color) changes and they use scrims. (Thin material) Back lit allows you you see thru it. Front lit shows the design painted on the front. The hanging corpse in the Haunted Mansion elevator uses a similar effect. I noticed Mara has a "zit" on his face and it was always the same whatever door you went thru. And when you made that first left hand turn, Why was it always the same length? If you were on the door on the right shouldn't it be a longer ride to get to the tunnel of torment?

If you look at the Transport (Power and guide) slots on the ground leading to the 3 visable doors, the real one leads all the way to the door you will go thru. The other 2 just kind of end short of the door.