PDA

View Full Version : Quick Trip, Trip Report for Jan. 28-30

bassett1976
01-30-2005, 05:04 PM
My wife and I decided to make a quick trip down to DLR this weekend. We got an AP rate for $169 per night for the GCH. We made it down about 5:00 pm to 5:30 pm on Friday night. We had to waite a while to check into the hotel, as they had been working on the check in desk area. They had spent the day working on the floors in front of the front desk.

We made it up to our room. We had been given a room with a view of Downtown Disney. Being in our room for only a few minutes the music we could hear started to drive us nuts. We think we may have been directly over Jamba Juice or we heard the music from the regular DTD music. I called the Front Desk and after a few minutes we got another room. We were upgraded to a Theme Park View room on the other side. I went down and spent about 20 minutes getting new room key cards. When we got into our new room, 3006, we had a great view of the Paradise Pier part of Ca. Adventure.

After a quick rest we went into DL. We ate at Pizza Port, my favorite. We then got my wifes AP updated. I realized that they gave her a new expiration date of the day that we renewed, not of when it would origionally expire. I was quite upset that she ended up losing 10 days on her AP from this year.

We walked around the park most of the night. We checked out the Haunted Mansion and enjoyed the new effects to Madame Leota. We liked the new hallway effects to the portrait room but we missed the one they took out. We also went on Pirates, Jungle Cruise & Snow White.

On Saturday we both woke up early. We went into the park to see the Rope Drop at DL. I hadn't experienced this before so I was a little excited. We got onto Peter Pan right away without much waite. Then to Alice, back to Toad, then to Casey and StoryBook. After an hour or so in the park we went back to the room for a quick nap.

We went to eat at Goofy's Kitchen at 11:40 am. We had a great time. The food was wonderful! I thought it was going to be only breakfast but I found out that it was more of a brunch. They had breakfast foods out and things like pizza and other lunch things as well. The character interaction was incrediable. In the time that we visited, we saw Goofy, Pluto, Max, Rafiki, Dale, Chip, Aladdin and Snow White. We even thought about making this a stop for our birthdays. *S* I was also suprised that the added the tip to our bill outright. I probibly would have tipped a little higher since we got to see so many characters and the food was so good. I wonder if they actually lose money in tips by doing this...

Since the last few weeks have been really busy for us, we spent a lot of time relaxing down at the hotel for the afternoon. We took a quick trip into Ca Adventure to ride the Grizzly River Rapids. Later that night we went into the park again to check out the Electrical Light Parade. It was really cold for CA standards so we didn't head back over to DL for the rest of the night.

Sunday was spent getting ready to go home and relaxing before check out. We decided to come home and get ready for our work week instead of going into the parks.

Overall, we had a good trip. I think both of us are not too sure if we will head back to the GCH again. I'm not sure the cost of the hotel is matched by the service that we received. I think the next time we will have to try for the DLH instead.

rentayenta
01-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks bassett! It's been a while since I have read a trip report! It sounds like you had a good time :)

bassett1976
01-30-2005, 05:09 PM
rentayenta, overall we had a good time. I wish we could have gotten into the parks more but our bodies didn't agree. Goofy's kitchen was great and probibly my favorite part.

rentayenta
01-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Was it too cold?

I'm glad you enjoyed Goofy's! Our last time at Goofy's was not good but we must have caught them on a bad day because everyone seems to be enjoying it.

Were the new HM effects awesome?

bassett1976
01-30-2005, 05:49 PM
It wasn't too cold for me. I was in Philly last weekend during the blizzard. That was cold, in fact the coldest I have ever been. For my wife, it was a bit much.

The HM effects were very cool. I liked Leota a lot. I was able to pick up on the guide wires a little but they did a good job with keeping the projection on her face. I was impressed. The portraits were really cool. They change when the lightening from "outside" goes off. I kind of miss the gradual change to the pictures, especially the April painting.

You can also see the gravestones a little more than I remember.

scanmom
01-30-2005, 06:27 PM
If we make a ressie for goofys kitchen at 11:30, will it still be considered breakfast, even with the brunch type foods? Also, is there about an equal amount b-fast items and lunch type foods? Or just a couple of lunch type foods? I don't really like b-fast foods, but hubby LOVES b-fast! I am trying to find a good place for us, with an equal mix!!! :p

bassett1976
01-30-2005, 06:37 PM
scanmom, I think that you would both be happy if they have a similar menu for the day. For breakfast, they had scrambled eggs, Mickey pancakes, Mickey waffles; build your own omelet, and fruit plate. For lunch they had cheese pizza, pepperoni pizza, three different types of pasta salads, Aladdin enchiladas and different types of rice dishes. Plus a small salad bar, bagels, and a dessert bar.