PDA

View Full Version : What department is the best to work for?

aundyflys
01-26-2005, 08:38 AM
I have several friends who are thinking about working at the DLR, while I could provide them with first hand experience in attractions, I would like input from people in other areas so my friends can decide where the might enjoy working the most. Thanks.

DJ_MENTOS
01-26-2005, 10:29 AM
The Department of Untapped Hillarity... better known as D.U.H.

:)

sdfilmcritic
01-26-2005, 11:09 PM
The Department of Untapped Hillarity... better known as D.U.H.Have you worked in this "department" before?

Rouxe1688
01-27-2005, 03:26 AM
Would anyone say it's hard to be a character in a parade? I don't know how they chose someone to be part of the parade, all they do is wave and smile. I assume good waving abilities is a must :)

Terri
01-27-2005, 07:05 AM
I remember...back in the dark ages...I went with my best friend to audition for a parade. It was the most intense audition I've ever done (and I'm still a semi-pro actor today!). She made the parade and I didn't. Her job was intense. Yes, she stood in costume on the back of a float and waved at the crowd, but those costumes are HOT! She used to tell me that they would douse you in cold water, put you in the costume and through the parade route, you would dry off completely and then be covered in sweat at the end!

I worked in merchandising for New Orleans/Bear Country. It was fun but I was too young for the rest of the cast (at the time) and didn't have much in common with them. I did a lot of parade detail during that year.

My mom, worked at the baby center/lost children in the late 80's through the 90's (Ginger if anyone remembers!) and LOVED every minute of it!! She met so many incredible people and only had good things to say about everyone. She worked there until she was 83 - 1999. She used to come back to all the CM events as an honored guest. Her experience was much better than mine...but I was just a kid when I was there... :p

bluepearl
01-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Are they just looking for jobs or interested in building a career there? I think Attractions would be a great place not only to work on the weekends (or what have you), but a way to grow in theme park operations (though I don't know exactly how to do that). Another way to start a career is through Store Ops - you can eventually gain enough experience to get into Visual Merchandising, Planning and Buying, Inventory Control, etc. I became interested in Retail Merchandising and Brand Management through my experience at DLR. BUT... if I were to go back, I'd definitely do Guest Relations. What's the statistics on GR CMs becoming Ambassadors?

Rouxe1688
01-27-2005, 01:03 PM
I remember...back in the dark ages...I went with my best friend to audition for a parade. It was the most intense audition I've ever done (and I'm still a semi-pro actor today!).
What exactly do you do in an audition?

Niwel
01-27-2005, 01:31 PM
It all depends on where you interests lie
I liked attractions because I had a chance to interact with the guests -- at night I would get on the mic and ask trivia quesions :) (I was in Fantasyland). If you like interaction I heard the best is custodial -- they get asked more questions than anyone else in the park.
I had a friend who worked at club 33 and loved it (Food service).
Another friend was majoring in fashion and worked in costumes.

Check out the stories in Cast Place (see my sig for the link). We have stories from CMs all over both resorts that might help. Also check out disneylandjobs.com -- it gives more info on what each position is expected to do.

WITron
02-21-2005, 08:36 PM
I was a custodial busser for 2 1/2 years in the early 90's and it all depended on the restraunt you were working at. I think the restraunt that I loved working at the most was Plaza Inn especially on the Summer nights. It was great geting to know the regulars that were there for the Big Band Music. Some of the other places you worked your tail off in the heat of the sun with no relief from shade.

blubayou33
02-22-2005, 05:18 PM
If this helps you any:

From my experience as an Orientation Trainer it seems that foods has the highest turnover by far, followed by stores and then attractions. Although entertainment is hard work the CM’s seem to enjoy it. If you like working independently I’ve heard great things about custodial. Security, maintenance and some other departments that staff “third-shift” (graveyard) are a little harder to hire into; they usually require previous experience.

As a former attractions CM I can say that you don’t really get the guest interaction time that you do with, say, stores; but you do get the satisfaction of working closely with great CM’s. Also being an attraction CM I can’t say anything good about the ”plaids”.
:D j/k

PhilMP
02-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Hehe, can anybody say anything good about plaids?

If you can handle the first 6 months or so, and if stay out of points trouble and such, ODV is a great department to work in. 6 months on carts, then you move up and start doing stuff that is more and more backstage, meaning less dealing with Guests, more time hanging out with your friends and working up your card-playing skills. The hours kind of suck though, especially once you get up there and start doing opening/closing shifts.

Phil

Magicinthestars
02-23-2005, 09:24 AM
I would LOVE if anyone could follow up on this question and/or provide some info about GR CM's!!!

What's the statistics on GR CMs becoming Ambassadors?

How do you earn your "Golden D"? Is it easy to move from a postion like attractions to a position in Guest Services? How soon can you switch? How fast do the pay increases come when you are a good, hard worker?

I am graduating college in 3 weeks and am seriously considering getting a job at DL to start a career and move my way up the ladder. My ultimate dream is to earn my "Golden D" or to work for Disneyland Conventions or Weddings as a planner.

Also, if anyone out there has any suggestions for good/less expensive housing for a future cast member I would love some advice.

marktips
02-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Anyone can become an Ambassador - it's really about how you present yourself, company knowledge, and good public speaking skills.

disneygurl92
02-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Food positions offer the highest pay and also offer the most hours per week. But then again who wants to work in a hot kitchen all day. Opperations is fun because when there aren't many people you can goof off. But then you have to answer a million questions like "where's the restroom?" even though the person asking is usually standing under a sign that points the way.

bradk
02-23-2005, 12:03 PM
when's the 3:00 parade?

acp
02-23-2005, 12:06 PM
when's the 3:00 parade?

Half past two.

PhilMP
02-23-2005, 04:11 PM
I would LOVE if anyone could follow up on this question and/or provide some info about GR CM's!!!

What's the statistics on GR CMs becoming Ambassadors?

How do you earn your "Golden D"? Is it easy to move from a postion like attractions to a position in Guest Services? How soon can you switch? How fast do the pay increases come when you are a good, hard worker?

I am graduating college in 3 weeks and am seriously considering getting a job at DL to start a career and move my way up the ladder. My ultimate dream is to earn my "Golden D" or to work for Disneyland Conventions or Weddings as a planner.

Also, if anyone out there has any suggestions for good/less expensive housing for a future cast member I would love some advice.

Ambassadors come from all over the Resort, they just wear the plaid costume during their year as a CM.

As for earning the D, you need to lead a tour by yourself in order to earn it. It's a rite of passage for GR CMs, and the D's are usually pinned on by management in a little ceremony after your first tour.

You can transfer to GR after six months in your initial department, barring any attendance/safety issues. As far as pay increases, since the vast majority of departments are union, save for Entertainment, Tech Services, and Parades and Show Support, your raises come on a set schedule. There are no raises for merit, only promotions, and even those are questionable.

As far as housing goes, Santa Ana and Garden Grove are good cheap places to live. Kind of ghetto, but beggars can't be choosers.

Phil

bandboy1985
02-24-2005, 02:18 AM
Would anyone say it's hard to be a character in a parade? I don't know how they chose someone to be part of the parade, all they do is wave and smile. I assume good waving abilities is a must :)

so i've danced with the rockettes at radio city music hall as a featured guest
i'm a four-time national dance champion
a drum corps international world champion
and i've danced in three broadway shows

and yes, it's hard work.

don't knock it- it takes a lot of psychological control to get through a parade while keeping up all the finer points of your choreography in inclement weather and with the many difficulties dancing in parade costumes brings.

bradk
02-24-2005, 06:17 AM
i'm sorry i originally missed that comment. it's hard to be a character to begin with. the costumes are heavy and hot. you have people poking you from all sides constantly. and that's on a good day.

even aside from the parade and the necessary choreography, you still need an athletic build to make it through the day. i think they pretty much only really hire dancers even just to wander around the park.

and it's not that easy to find an out of work dancer/actor in the LA area to fill those roles either.

Opus1guy
02-24-2005, 07:56 AM
For me it would be Cash Control.

And I'd bring a large lunch pail to work every day. ;)

tcsnwhite
02-24-2005, 11:19 PM
i'm sorry i originally missed that comment. it's hard to be a character to begin with. the costumes are heavy and hot. you have people poking you from all sides constantly. and that's on a good day.

even aside from the parade and the necessary choreography, you still need an athletic build to make it through the day. i think they pretty much only really hire dancers even just to wander around the park.

and it's not that easy to find an out of work dancer/actor in the LA area to fill those roles either.

I recently just went to all the big auditions for characters and parades that they just had, and experienced the thing first hand. Unfortunately, I didn't get cast.
But just to let everyone know, Not everyone who is a character or parade performer has a great body with a great build. Let me tell you, there are people of ALL shapes and sizes working and performing those parts. I saw well built, athletic people, larger and heavy people, and lots and lots of skinny twigs (Sorry, but there were.) Actually, some of the current dancers I met were not all skinny or buffed. They come in all shapes and sizes, I saw it for myself. And All sorts of people got hired. It just depends on what they are looking for, and especially for what kind of body shape will fit a particular costume. Like Flit and Atta, they have to be quite thin to wear the costume properly.
But don't worry about your size, it is all about how you interact and SMILE. Really, I am not kidding. All the wonderful people I talk to online who work in the dept. really are not joking when they say SMILE!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, it is not that comfortable after a while in those character costumes. But, You have to remember, the people who are doing this are doing it because they really want to. No one is forcing them. They love it. (at least the ones I met did. And I mean they really did!)

hope that helps
Tcsnwhite