PDA

View Full Version : Storytellers -or- Goofy's for dinner?

Tinkerbelle923
01-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Ok my family loves Goofy's for breakfast. We never miss it, but we have yet to try a dinner there.
We have never been to Storytellers.

Our trip is in July (I just overplan really early) and on our first day we will not be going in the parks (we arrive around 3ish) but I want a fun 'Disney' Dinner

So whats your opinion? Which is better? Why?

If it makes a difference we arrive on Saturday (and yes I will make PS to whichever we chose) my kids are 5 & 10. Husband has no preferance yet.

sooooo sell me on your favorite.

NVMulan
01-25-2005, 01:00 PM
IMHO not even a contest...GOOFY's!

Tinkerbelle923
01-25-2005, 01:09 PM
ok, I'm laughing.

Why is it Goofy's, no contest

(I really want to be sold on the idea)

btw- I love Goofy's (breakfast)

stan4d_steph
01-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Are you looking for a character experience? If so, Goofy's and Ariel's Grotto (in DCA) are the only ones that do dinner. Storyteller's dinner isn't a character meal. Personally, I wouldn't eat at Goofy's. I've seen positive reviews posted about the newer character offerings at Plaza Inn and Paradise Pier Hotel that intrigue me, but I'm usually more into low-key character interaction.

My vote would be Storyteller's. Great Arts & Crafts-influenced atmosphere. Good food. Service can be spotty, I've had good and bad.

Tinkerbelle923
01-25-2005, 01:12 PM
we will be eating at most of the charactor meals (my kids love them, so we just plan them into the budget)
As far as Charactor for that night is concerned, It really doesn't matter I just want to do something we have not done yet (that is not in the parks...we will have 5 days in, but I don't want to use one as a half day)

do they still tell story's at storytellers or did that disapear?

Tinkerbelle923
01-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Pricewise they seem similar
though I do like the option of ordering off the menu at Storytellers

What are the meals like?
What is offered at the buffets? what type of offerings are on the menu at storytellers?

pisces
01-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Well, in a perfect world, you'd be able to do both.

I think Storytellers has tremendous food. The food at Storytellers all tasted like it was made from scratch. Even the mac-n-cheese at Storytellers tasted like that used fresh, not dried, pasta.....with a delicate sherry cheese sauce.

If food matters the most, then it's Storytellers you want.

But, if the characters and atmosphere is more what you are looking for, and you don't care about food quality, as much.....than I'd say go for Goofys.

Goofys is not bad food, necessarily.....but it just didn't have the made-from-scratch taste that Storytellers did.

It's the difference between opening up a can of Chicken and Stars (Campbells) soup....which they actually do for their signature soup at Goofys..............versus the wonderful freshly made-from-scratch-loaded with herbs and crumbled bacon---- Nebraska Corn Chowder at Storytellers.

You will be filled up at both places, if you eat only snacks and fruit in the morning, and go to town at 5:00pm when they open. Again, Goofy's isn't bad, and they did have prime rib, which is prime rib where ever you go I guess....but it was the other dishes that set the two apart.

The fish at Storytellers Dinner was cooked so perfectly, which you never find at a buffet. Storytellers had a saffron rice dish, with REAL saffron, not imitation.....it's that type of thing.

Still, Goofy's characters are tremendous, and I dined alone, but the characters spent quite a bit of time with me....I almost felt guilty what with all the families and such. Goofys was the best experience character-wise ever.....actually I never knew I was a single diner half the time, the characters kept me so much company and sat right down and helped themself.....so cute.... So, believe me, I love Goofys!!! It's just that the actual food doesn't come up to the level of Storytellers. But again, I was filled up at both places' dinners.

01-25-2005, 01:29 PM
The Storytellers buffet is to die for: corn chowder, very nice salads, breads, fish, prime rib, chicken, and so many, many desserts. It's all very clean and serene.

Storytellers, I love you!

The Lovely Mrs. tod
01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
The Storytellers buffet is to die for: corn chowder, very nice salads, breads, fish, prime rib, chicken, and so many, many desserts. It's all very clean and serene.

Storytellers, I love you!

We ordered room service last week at the GCH and it came up from Storeytellers...it was to die for! I found a cookbook on Main Street Sunday in the Music Shop, it has the corn chowder recipe in it. I wasn't sure I wanted to pay $20. for one recipe, but I'm debating, the chowder is THAT good...

-TLMt

rentayenta
01-25-2005, 01:41 PM
I haven't been to Storyteller's but plan to try it on our next trip.

I don't see us returning to Goofy's after the fiasco Christmas morning and we had always had good experiences at Goofy's :(

Tinkerbelle923
01-25-2005, 01:54 PM
storytellers sure seems to have a fan club...for very good reason aparently.
I truely LOVE to eat, so food quality is important. (Pisces I think we just may have to go to storytellers after that description)

TLMT- I did that once (got the cookbook because the dish was so good)...problem is I still haven't made it -almost 2 years later- I just go back and order it again...(I have a problem I love to eat, hate to cook, but collect cookbooks)

Edited to add:You all made the corn chowder sounds so good I'm actualy craving something I have not had yet...

Surfingstitch
01-25-2005, 02:11 PM
I found a cookbook on Main Street Sunday in the Music Shop, it has the corn chowder recipe in it. I wasn't sure I wanted to pay $20. for one recipe, but I'm debating, the chowder is THAT good...

-TLMt

Can't you get the recipe for free from city hall?

cstephens
01-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Ok my family loves Goofy's for breakfast. We never miss it, but we have yet to try a dinner there.
We have never been to Storytellers.

I am one of those who doesn't particularly care for Goofy's Kitchen. I've enjoyed our visits in the past, sometimes for brunch and sometimes for dinner, but our less-than-stellar visit last Easter has made Goofy's a place I don't recommend at all. I hadn't particularly cared for Storyteller's previously, but based on our recent visits, I've liked the restaurant much more. I think the deciding factor will be whether or not you want characters at this meal. If you do, go to Goofy's. If you don't, go to Storyteller's. For my money, the only thing Goofy's has at dinner that's better than Storyteller's is characters, if you want a character meal. If you just want a good meal, go to Storyteller's. I've got a review posted from a dinner last October (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/storyteller100304.html), in case you're interested.

pisces
01-25-2005, 04:29 PM
cstephans: I just read your review, again......they (Storytellers) must change their menu for New Years, because for New Years Weekend dinner, the buffet did not have mashed potatoes, which I thought was kind of strange given they had prime rib. But, they had just the most fabulous rice dish I'd ever tasted. And the fish I had was more of a whitefish, not blackened, and not salmon, but the most tender and moist I'd ever tasted. And their special chicken dish was pure heaven. I had the chocolate mousse and it was out of this world, tasted like they'd used expensive chocolate and just came out of the mixer.

Yes, the Nebraska Corn Chowder is both scrumptious and looks good in the bowl, especially when you use the cracked black pepper grinder that they have at each table.

I adored Storytellers buffet, and I'm very picky, and can tell the difference between fresh and store bought.

Tinkerbelle923
01-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the link I really apreciate it
(especially the list of items in the buffet) and personaly I think the deserts sound great
hmmm, you guys are really swaying me toward storytellers.

cstephens and renta what happened at Goofys to sour you on it? I have always had good experiences but it's been a year and a half since we were there and if it's changes so much I'd like to know in advance.

cstephens
01-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the link I really apreciate it
(especially the list of items in the buffet) and personaly I think the deserts sound great
hmmm, you guys are really swaying me toward storytellers.

Do note that the buffet offerings change, and the buffet isn't offered every night. The last time I asked, there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when they offered the buffet, but they did offer it on both of our last visits. Maybe someone else has more recent information about how they decide when to offer the buffet.

cstephens and renta what happened at Goofys to sour you on it? I have always had good experiences but it's been a year and a half since we were there and if it's changes so much I'd like to know in advance.

Well, here's the review I posted about our Easter visit (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/goofyskitchen041104.html).

Tinkerbelle923
01-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that it was such a disapointing visit, thanks for the link though, I found it helpful.

Wendi
01-25-2005, 04:59 PM
I've never had dinner at Goofy's, but I've had several at Storytellers. The service and the food is very good at Storytellers. If you want a character meal though, it'll have to be Goofy's because Storytellers just has characters at breakfast. The corn chowder really is to die for too!!!

pisces
01-26-2005, 06:53 AM
I asked a Storytellers Cast member when I was there......and was told that they ALWAYS have the Storytellers Dinner Buffet, everyday starting at 5:00 pm.

They said that they sometimes don't have lunch, but again, Storytellers has a dinner buffet every day------that was according to a Cast Member at Storytellers.

I can sympathize with Yenta about the service at Goofys. Even though I adored the atmosphere and characters at Goofys........they put a mandatory "gratuity" (I think it's like $5 or $6.00, depending on the amount of your party, I think) on the bill. So, you are, in a sense, forced to pay a tip, whether you want to or not. Doing, it that way, there's really no incentive for the servers to necessarily go all out.....they know they are going to get the same amount of tip no matter how they perform. It takes away the idea of merit, and the customer even paying a lot more of a tip, than the "mandatory". It's a lose-lose situation for guests and servers.

The thing is, at a buffet, you are pretty self-sufficient and don't need much from them; although the with the Goofys Hot Chocolate Cake.......that cake is so rich.....I needed my water refilled several times.

Many times, it was Goofy, himself, who would bring the water.....which was soooo funny.

stinkerbell
01-26-2005, 08:24 AM
We've had many a good experience at Goofy's over the years with the kids....some good food even, and definitely great times with the characters. We go for at least one meal on each of our trips--usually breakfast before the park, but this time we went for dinner on our arrival day--like you we weren't going in the park that day. It was okay food-wise, but the character interaction was the best yet. The kids had a BLAST. The place was empty, so the girls got a lot of attention.

BUT.....for food, our new favorite place at the resort is Storytellers. We've gone for dinner once and lunch once. The food is really amazing, it's quiet, and it's just a nice environment. Put me down as a Storytellers devotee! :) My kids loved it as well.

The desserts alone are worth the price of the dinner buffet. Chocolate dipped strawberries, cheesecakes, cookies. The dessert selection is more varied than the dinner selection, but the dinner buffet included my favorites: prime rib, garlic mashed potatoes, salmon, and grilled asparagus. I was in heaven.

Have fun!! :)

Tinkerbelle923
01-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Wow, thanks for all the great responses.
When I originally posted I was leaning ever-so-slightly toward Storytellers...
Now, absolutly MUST try storytellers (though we may still do a Goofy breakfast) it really sounds like storytellers is the place to be for a great dinner. (and dessert)

I can't wait (is it July yet?)

MissMoriah
01-26-2005, 10:45 AM
If anyone is interested, I can post the corn chowder recipe. I found it first on the net and then they gave me a copy at the Storytellers Cafe. I don't know about the prices for Goofy's, but the Dinner Buffet at the Storytellers I believe runs $26 for adults. It does include your drink, so if you figure dinner, drink and dessert, it is the best deal and worth it for the Prime rib and the mickey nuggets.

hlbtimes2
01-26-2005, 11:01 AM
If anyone is interested, I can post the corn chowder recipe.

Yes! Please post it.