PDA

View Full Version : Is HoJo Anaheim within walking distance?

Pages : [1] 2

tracilicious
01-25-2005, 10:00 AM
The site says it is, but I'm wondering just how long of a walk it really is. We usually stay at Red Roof, but with being pregnant and possibly carrying a two year old back to the hotel, I really don't want to do the eleven minute walk back after a long day at the park. The hotels right across the street look kinda yucky, but I've heard good things about Hojo. Anyone know how to get the best rate? :fez:

Opus1guy
01-25-2005, 10:02 AM
The site says it is, but I'm wondering just how long of a walk it really is.

What everyone? About five minutes, tops? One of the closest you can get.

Stupid_American
01-25-2005, 10:09 AM
HoJo's is #2 on my map. (http://home.pacbell.net/dagravy/index.html)

the mad hatter
01-25-2005, 10:25 AM
There are several others that are closer.

JosieGirl71
01-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Stay at Carousel or Tropicana. They are much closer (especially after a long day at DL).

the mad hatter
01-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Stay at Carousel or Tropicana. They are much closer (especially after a long day at DL).

I second the vote for the tropicanna. It's clean, fee parking, and close.

stinkerbell
01-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Traci, if it's just the three of you (okay, 3.5 of you), I say stay at the Tropicana (a friend stayed there and their suite was laaarge and clean, microwave/fridge), Desert Inn and Suites (stayed there once in a remodeled room--clean, good staff, great rates, fridge), or Best Western Park Place Inn (my #2 pick after HoJo, nice rooms, fridge/microwave, thorough continental breakfast). They're the closest and have nice rooms and comfy beds.

We stay at HoJo, because of the rates, the girls are older and can walk further, I'm not pregnant (:eek: all that walking...ugh!) and we have a family of five--we need the bigger rooms. HoJo is on the ART system, and I admit that the last day of our trip, we took the bus back to our room....it was really nice to rest that last time back from the parks.

I'd try www.hotelkingdom.com (http://www.hotelkingdom.com) because they usually have unbeatable rates for BW Park Place Inn.

I also had a great experience with www.hotelclub.com (http://www.hotelclub.com) this year. Their rates were by far the lowest for our December trip.

Have fun!!!

~Claire

Darkbeer
01-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Here is a link from MouseSavers.com, that gives you a special discounted rate at HoJo's.

http://www.hojoanaheim.com/mousesavers

Sheila
01-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Traci, if it's just the three of you (okay, 3.5 of you), I say stay at the Tropicana (a friend stayed there and their suite was laaarge and clean, microwave/fridge), Desert Inn and Suites (stayed there once in a remodeled room--clean, good staff, great rates, fridge), or Best Western Park Place Inn (my #2 pick after HoJo, nice rooms, fridge/microwave, thorough continental breakfast). They're the closest and have nice rooms and comfy beds.

I agree with stinkerbell's response - those three hotels get high marks in the Review System. You'd be better off staying closer than HoJo's if you're having low-back pain or other pg-related issues. The walk is totally doable for those unimpaired, but if I were you, I'd take any opportunity to cut down on the amount of walking.

Sheila

CarlieB
01-25-2005, 01:06 PM
I agree with stinkerbell's response - those three hotels get high marks in the Review System. You'd be better off staying closer than HoJo's if you're having low-back pain or other pg-related issues. The walk is totally doable for those unimpaired, but if I were you, I'd take any opportunity to cut down on the amount of walking.

Sheila

More agreement here. I really like HoJo's and recommend it when I can, but if you want to cut down on the walking, it's not the best place, imho. Stay as close as you can:)

stan4d_steph
01-25-2005, 01:11 PM

SheilaI would add Park Inn and Suites, which is slightly closer to the entrance than HoJo. I had a good experience there last October. Clean, well kept rooms. Comfortable bed. Good rate (about $70/night) through Expedia.

pisces
01-25-2005, 01:15 PM
This is really going out on a limb, since I've never stayed anywhere but GC.....but I did get a look at the outside of the Howard Johnsons....and oh my.....you all consider that walking distance? To where?

I guess to Tomorrow Land, right?

It's certainly not walking distance to the Main Gate/Main Street. It's nowhere near the East Shuttle area entrances off Harbor.

I recommend the Park Place, not having stayed there, just eyeballing it..... Park Place is right on Harbor Blvd. right at the East gate.

Other than GC.....I'd say Park Place comes the closest to the Main Gates.

Those motels/hotels on Harbor, near the East Gates looked, from an outsider perspective, to be very well kept up.

Things have really changed on Harbor Blvd. from back in the day, 25 years ago, when it was really seedy. Harbor Blvd. has been completely remodeled and all new facades and fixtures on the motels. I guess they had to do it to meet the Good Neighbor standards.

splash
01-25-2005, 03:50 PM
We usually stay at the Marriot Fairfield Inn which is just a bit closer than the Ho Jo. The rooms are large and last time we were there (in April) we got rooms for $59.00 per night on expedia. Probably the closest if you are not on sight would be the Park Place Inn which is right at the crosswalk to Disneyland (rooms can be spendy here though) :D

tod
01-25-2005, 04:13 PM
The site says it is, but I'm wondering just how long of a walk it really is. We usually stay at Red Roof, but with being pregnant and possibly carrying a two year old back to the hotel, I really don't want to do the eleven minute walk back after a long day at the park. The hotels right across the street look kinda yucky, but I've heard good things about Hojo. Anyone know how to get the best rate? :fez:

Park Place Inn. Even closer to Disneyland than the Disneyland Hotel.

--t

tracilicious
01-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks so much for all the replies. I will definitely look into the hotels across the street more thoroughly. Even being pregnant I don't mind the walking, but when my son is really tired he won't stand for anyone else carrying him and he's 30 pounds. Too much for me while pregnant!

Darkbeer
01-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Remember that the Paradise Pier Hotel, the Candy Cane Inn and the Howard Johnson's are all about the same 3/4 mile walk to the Main Entry Plaza.

Paradise Pier does not offer a shuttle.

Candy Cane Inn has its own private shuttle, and runs every half-hour.

HoJo's use the ART Shuttle system, and they run every 20 minutes.

Buttercup
01-27-2005, 10:17 AM
HoJo's is only 2 - 4 minutes farther walking than the ones right accross the street. And it's far superior IMO. It's a HOTEL, indoor corridors to the rooms. It's CLEAN, really clean and well maintained. The two pool areas are great. If your little guy is too tired, take the ART, it drops you off right at the front entrance to HoJo. Get a tower room with a view of tomorrowland at HoJo, you can't do better than that!!

DangerMouse
01-27-2005, 10:56 AM
HoJo's is only 2 - 4 minutes farther walking than the ones right accross the street. And it's far superior IMO. It's a HOTEL, indoor corridors to the rooms. It's CLEAN, really clean and well maintained. The two pool areas are great. If your little guy is too tired, take the ART, it drops you off right at the front entrance to HoJo. Get a tower room with a view of tomorrowland at HoJo, you can't do better than that!!

Thank you for posting this! I was getting worried that I made a mistake in getting reservations at the HoJo in April with my family of 3 small kids and two grandmas.

Can you tell me where the tower rooms are? I reserved a two adjoining rooms in Bldg. 1, top floor. But I have just read today that those are the noisiest rooms. I'm wondering if I should change my room request to Building 2, Disney view?

Thanks for your help!

Buttercup
01-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Dangermouse -

Bldg 1 is the tower building. I have heard those noise complaints, but honestly haven't been bothered by it. Especially if you are on the top floor, I don't think noise will be an issue.

The other building are all two story buildings, you don't really get a view of the DL. Although Bldg 2 is nice. Last December we had connecting rooms on the 2nd floor of Bldg 2, overlooking the Quiet Pool area.

We LOVE the HoJo. It's the best value IMO. It's very clean and well maintained. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and we really enjoy the two pool areas.

Here's a link to there website and property map, http://www.hojoanaheim.com/info/maps.htm

Once I book my room, I always HoJo for specific room requests, etc... They are always extremely helpful, here's their email address: guest.care.team@hojoanaheim.com

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-27-2005, 12:40 PM
We have stayed at HoJo our last 2 trips, booked there for our March and November trips this year already. It is nice and totally within walking distance, even after 6 days in the park. Of course we have our double stroller for the boys.
We stay in building 2 and have NO noise from the freeway. Only noise is the fireworks at DLR.
No complaints from us!

toady
01-27-2005, 12:53 PM
I love the HOJO!

Last year we stayed for 2 nights and this year are coming back in June for 4 nights!

The best deal by far has to be the Entertainment card discount. I get a poolside view for $45 per night. The discount is not available at all times so you need to check.

As far as distance goes, it is not bad at all, my 5 year old was in a stroller some of the time. I like the rooms, they are big and have a nice sized fridge. I also think the pools are great, I know the kids love them.

Willie Simpson is the MAN! he took great care of us last year and in booking for this year.

Be aware there are no elevators for the second floor, only stairs.

I like the fact that you pass by all the restaurants on the way to the park.

Toady

Darkbeer
01-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Buildings 1 and 2 have elevators... the smaller rooms in the Buildings 3 thru 6 are just two story buildings without an elevator. If stairs are an issue, I would contact HoJo's to arrange a room on the first floor, or in one of the towers.

toady
01-27-2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks Darkbeer ..... You are Correct!

Toady

SCUBAbe
01-27-2005, 01:48 PM
HoJo's is pretty far. The first walk oif the first day isn't bad, but after a day in the parks the walk back seems like it will never end. It's the last hotel on the row right by the freeway. I liked HOJO's alot, but I prefer to stay closer. I didn't like the caorusel. The beds and pillows were horrible and the room was sticky hot. I liked the one next door. Park vue?

CarlieB
01-27-2005, 01:50 PM
We always stay in Building 2. It's about 4 stories, I think, with an elevator. No noise problems, and right next to the quiet pool. Most of us were on the ground floor last time, with a group of 3 in one of the suites at the top.