PDA

View Full Version : Weather woes--what can we do in the rain?

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
01-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Our long-awaited trip is finally here and the forecast for Anaheim is rain this weekend! :( Any suggestions for keeping three girls ages 5 and under happy in the rain? I'll dress them appropriately, but I'd appreciate any advice you have about planning our days--Friday (1/28) at Disneyland and Saturday (1/29) at the land and CA. Also, we hope to have a few hours in the land when we arrive late Thursday afternoon, before the rain is supposed to hit. Other than the Snow White show, anything else we should try to fit in on Thursday? Dumbo? Anything else outside that might be closed when it rains? We're still looking forward to it, just wish it was going to be a little easier logistically...now we have to bring lots of extra stuff (we're staying at GCH so we will be able to change/rest when we need to). Thanks!

TikiGeek
01-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Don't worry about the rain. The magic never washes away ;)

hlbtimes2
01-25-2005, 09:11 AM
Sorry, but I have to laugh. I live in the Seattle area. We never let a little rain slow us down! I actually like rainy days in the park- there are NO crowds.

DCAWhites
01-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Yeah a very strong rainfall can slash the park's attendence by up to 75% making things extremely slow. I'd reccomend you do alice in wonderland and the redwood creek challenge trail on thursday as they are closed in any rain at all. Heavier rain and thunderstorms close down more.

oregontraveler
01-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Check out the Animation Bldg. at DCA, they have meet & greets there including a seperate princess area.

Metal God
01-25-2005, 09:28 AM
I always liked it when it rained there.

tlovesdis
01-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Definately head into the Animation Building at DCA when it is raining. We saw Belle, Aurora, Snow White, Woody, Mulan, Mushu, Cruella, Max, and Aladdin all at the same time! It was great!!!

disneyhound
01-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Our long-awaited trip is finally here and the forecast for Anaheim is rain this weekend!

I'm with you Faith, bummer weather forecast. We will be in the park over the weekend as well. The rain will be a disappointment, but, it won't stop the fun! We are used to the rain here;, we typically get over 100", so in general we don't wait for a sunny day.

I went to the Dollar Store last weekend; picked up a couple of the "two-pack of rain ponchos" for a heavy downpour. At 50 cents a piece, they are disposable. Also got an umbrella. I have been watching the weather forecast deteriorate over the past week. :crying:

Bundle up the Kiddies, hats and gloves all around, and go for it! :D

rentayenta
01-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Don't forget rain boots for the kiddies because a poncho won't keep your feet dry. We have had some of the best character interaction when it was raining. Have a magical time!

Try to see the Aladdin show on the day it isn't raining, if possible. The show is inside but you have to stand outside for a bit while you are waiting to get in the theater.

Like others have said- The Animation Building is so cool.

Susan L
01-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Dress up in the rain gear and have a blast. Disneyland is excellent in the rain.
Don't miss the Aladdin show in DCA the girls will love it, so will you. Most of the rides outside stay open in the rain. At least that has been our experience.

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
01-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all the positivity and great suggestions! Nothing can "dampen" my enthusiasm for our trip, but I was pouting a bit over the weather. HPoE, here we come! (in 48 hours) :)

Rouxe1688
01-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Ah, screw rain, my last trip to WDW there was this MASSIVE MASSIVE rain storm, complete with thunder and lightening that would come and strike the actual ground - it was very nifty. Everyone ran under awnings, hiding, but me and my dad ran for the lines. All the rides/shows that are inside still run, of course, but the lines are usually outside so everyone leaves them. And yes, we could have been struck by lightening but hey, it was worth it. Just bring unbrellas (maybe princess umbrellas), and the lines will be really short, before you know it you'll be inside the ride. And you can always go for lunch while it rains, too, or go for a train ride or monorail ride. Etiher way you'll have fun.

Surfingstitch
01-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Rain is like swimming. You're gonna get wet, but it is a great trade off for no wait rides.

You can always do the covered attractions.

I do not (repeat) do not do the roller coaster. The rain will feel like hail.
We experienced why screamin had no line.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-25-2005, 01:01 PM
I do not (repeat) do not do the roller coaster. The rain will feel like hail.
We experienced why screamin had no line.On the other hand, a rainy day is ideal for Splash Mountain and (presumably) Grizzly River. Provided you have a sou'wester or a hood; an open umbrella would not be smart on either.

sediment
01-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Just don't show your disappointment to the kids. They pick up on this, the little punks.

pisces
01-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Feet Feet Feet. A pisces knows feet. And, no matter what else, you want to keep your feet dry. Even if you think you don't need them, invest in a pair of traditional rubber rainboots, for both children and adults, that go way up and that you can tuck your pants into.

I was there when it rained the whole week and everyone had ponchos but nobody had rain boots.

I'd rather have a wet fanny, than wet feet any day. You need your feet and there's nothing worse than walking around in soggy socks, even when you change them, your shoes are still wet and they get soggy again.

Even if it isn't raining, necessarily, puddles accumulate in the cobblestone, and your feet still get wet.

Maybe I'm too tall, but the flimsy Disneyland Ponchos don't go down low enough to cover your whole body, especially when you are seated in the rides. The ponchos ride up, and you are sitting in a puddle.

I would get sturdy rubber raincoats that will not rip, that go down long enough to cover a seat.

You can always throw all of this in a locker, should the sun come out.

kohl
01-26-2005, 06:41 AM
One year we went and it rained 3 or 4 days straight. It was so much fun!
No one was there so there was no lines and we got to see a lot of the characters and spend a lot of time with each. We all had rain coats, rain pants, rain boots and hats and gloves(For the kids). Don't forget warm socks!
We stayed dry all day,while the people with poncho's looked a little wet.
It was one of the best times in Disneyland.

GreenDragon
01-26-2005, 07:54 AM
And yes, we could have been struck by lightening but hey, it was worth it.

And this, ladies and gents, is how you tell the true fan(atic) from the rest of us wannabees. What's a little risk of death when there are no lines? :fez:

Earkid
01-26-2005, 07:57 AM
The chance of being struck by lightning is something like 50 million to 1.

The chance of encountering lines on a dry day is inevitable.

Sounds like good odds to me!