PDA

View Full Version : DLR for a WDW Veteran?

Pages : [1] 2

chisquared
01-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Hi all! This is my first thread here, so I'm very glad to have found MousePlanet.

I;ve been to WDW about 10 times over the course of the past 15 years, but I've never made it out to Anaheim-and I just got done making reservations for my and pagin through the Birnbaum guide. I've seen a couple of old friends (Mr. Toad's Wild Ride), and some things we never got on the East Coast (like Alice in Wonderland and Pinnochio's Daring Journey), but I'm wondering what you folks who get to go all the time would consider must-sees, plus I've got a couple specific questions:

Is Fantasmic at DLR better/different than the WDW version? I've heard there are some differences, and it's definitely worth seeing, but I'm curious about it.

On the Matterhorn, are there a lot of drops? I'm going with a couple folks that are not coaster fans, but love Big Thunder Mountain-how do they compare?

Thanks very much in advance. I'm looking forward to posting here a lot!

Earkid
01-24-2005, 05:52 PM
I know this ride isn't in DL but I think it is one of the best. Go to DCA and do Soarin' Over California. Then hurry back to DL.

The Matterhorn is a must, not a lot of drops. I think it is milder than BTMRR.

I don't know how to compare Fantasmic since I haven't seen the WDW version but I do know that DL's version feels more like cramming into a park and sitting on the grass to watch 4th of July fireworks, whereas WDW's version has stadium seating.

Susan L
01-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Earkid has said it very well. I would add the Aladdin show in DCA is also a must. In DL I've heard that the POTC is different at WDW so that might also be a must see.

Rouxe1688
01-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Disneyland is my favorite disney park, I haven't been there for a few years and i miss it a lot, but i used to go every year. The matterhorn is my joy ride, which might just be why WDW doesn't fill my disney park quota. But anyways, there are no big drops, it's just fast and jerky. It's kind of like space mountain in the roughness area, but much smaller drops. It's a little rougher than Thunder Mountain, but not my much.The left side is more brutal than the right, so take your pick.
Fantasmic is a bit different, to begin with it's outside on the river that goes to tom sawyer's island. I can't give things away, just see it, it's great.
Yes, Mr. Toad is still up and running and very popular, i'm glad they kept it. IT's a must for nostalgia's sake.
I suggest you ride Indiana Jones in Adventureland, it's just like running through the movies, it's crazy.
Also, Pirates has at least one more drop, maybe two, and seems longer than the WDW version, to me anyways. Inside the ride there is a restaurant that, although i've never eaten there, is supposed to be really good and relaxing, and is famous for it's monte cristo sandwhich.
I do enjoy going on alice in wonderland, it's very cute, but peter pan is still my favorite kiddy ride.
Have a great time when you go, it's the original WDW so you can't not have fun ;)

Earkid
01-24-2005, 06:04 PM
I would add the Aladdin show in DCA is also a must. In DL I've heard that the POTC is different at WDW so that might also be a must see.

Ditto. The Aladdin show is dark several days a week so make sure you know which days it is actually showing.

Edited to add: See the Blue Bayou thread for more info on the POTC restaurant.

NVMulan
01-24-2005, 06:09 PM
You know it is smaller...so don't be too disappointed. Enjoy it for it's own uniqueness. I would suggest staying at the Grand Califonian if you have that option. You can't get as close at WDW.

I think there is a sense of history and texture in Disneyland which you don't get as much in the Magic Kingdom.

Both are great but despite similar parks different types of experiences!

marktips
01-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Their castle is "dinky."

Rouxe1688
01-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Their castle is "dinky."

you should be bitten.

:p

it was build in the 50's, it's adorable. and WDW got rid of their lagoon and DL didn't, so the lagoon makes up for the petite castle.
And yes, DL is really small, it's like going only to the magic kingdom, but it does have some rides from the other WDW parks in it.

Earkid
01-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Their castle is "dinky."

..... but it's the ORIGINAL!!

marktips
01-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Everytime I see the castle at DL I think: "It's a cutesy-wutesy whittle castle! Yes it is! yes it is!"

The lagoon? You mean that massive manmade Seven Seas Lagoon surrounded by the MK and 3 resorts that you have to cross either on a ferry or on monorail to get to the MK?

Rouxe1688
01-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Noooooo, i mean the lagoon that the submarines were in, it's a smashing good photo op and a lovely shade of blue.

marktips
01-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Noooooo, i mean the lagoon that the submarines were in, it's a smashing good photo op and a lovely shade of blue.

Oh well.. um... *thinks* Wait a minute - it's a defunct ride, why is that a good thing?

NVMulan
01-24-2005, 06:25 PM
I love that I can go to Disneyland frequently, do it all, and get my 'fix'. I am planning a 10 day total saturation event at WDW in 2006! Then maybe a cruise in 2007 punctuated with Disneyland visits as often as I can!

Rouxe1688
01-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Oh well.. um... *thinks* Wait a minute - it's a defunct ride, why is that a good thing?
Because it's pretty, dammit!

marktips
01-24-2005, 06:28 PM
It's kind of sad.. and ugly. Heck, I think all of the "Future Montana" crap is ugly.

As cheesey as our CoP may be with its cogs painted on it, it's softer on the eye than the yuckey sorta moldy looking Innoventions building.

Rouxe1688
01-24-2005, 06:30 PM
pessimist

Disney Vault
01-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Everytime I see the castle at DL I think: "It's a cutesy-wutesy whittle castle! Yes it is! yes it is!"
This made me laugh so hard.

BTW, when are you going to Disneyland? Is it before or after the 50th starts?

Maus
01-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Is Fantasmic at DLR better/different than the WDW version? I've heard there are some differences, and it's definitely worth seeing, but I'm curious about it.

On the Matterhorn, are there a lot of drops? I'm going with a couple folks that are not coaster fans, but love Big Thunder Mountain-how do they compare?

Fantasmic is much better at DLR because of the Mark Twain and Columbia ships. Seating is much better at WDW, however, so be prepared to stand around and wait.

Matterhorn is more jerky and bumpy, perhaps due to the size of the "sled" versus the "train" of Big Thunder.

Yes, it's much smaller than the Magic Kingdom. You'll feel an unreal sense of deja vu. But be sure to look for the Walt touches like the light on in the apartment above the fire station. Take the "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour to really get the flavor of the ORIGINAL.

marktips
01-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Why does the "original" need to be in big blue text?

Just because something is original doesn't mean its the best. I mean, jeeze, the original toilet paper i'm sure was great in its time but now we have quilted and ripples - oo, ripples!

Rouxe1688
01-24-2005, 06:53 PM
It's not better, but it's not dinky. It's smooosh.

Earkid
01-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Why does the "original" need to be in big blue text?

It doesn't, but I like the way it looks. Why did you write yours in black? Is it matching your mood tonight? :confused:

marktips
01-24-2005, 07:08 PM
How about this:

The Original

Sorta smooshed, colorful, original, and dinky ;)

NVMulan
01-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Hey I have seen those colors before! On a WONDERFUL castle!

Earkid
01-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Much more festive!!

Mox
01-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Their castle is "dinky."
It's kind of sad.. and ugly. Heck, I think all of the "Future Montana" crap is ugly.

As cheesey as our CoP may be with its cogs painted on it, it's softer on the eye than the yuckey sorta moldy looking Innoventions building.
Wow. For someone who was bemoaning unfavorable comparisons between DL and WDW in this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?p=509832#post509615), you sure haven't wasted any time in stirring it up here.