PDA

View Full Version : Poll for the Old School Punks at Disneyland

EmmaPeel007
12-14-2001, 12:59 PM
Okay, since the whole "Goth Losers" post has been getting people to go on about how they were goths or punks way back when, are there still any of you out there who still consider yourselves punks? Are you parents? Do you still go to shows? And what were some of the earliest shows you went to? Why do you have a obsession with Disneyland when for a while they wouldn't let us in? Add your age if you want. I'll go first to get the ball rolling:

I'm still a punk at heart and outwardly - well, yeah, I'm still a punk. Tattoo and piercings, blah blah blah. Not as outrageous as I used to be (just don't have the time or energy). My husband was/is more a Clash-type punk/mod.

The first show I went to was U2 at the Country Club when I was 13. It was at The Country Club on the Boy tour (around'80). Saw lots of other bands - Fear, Social distortion, Channel 3, Bad Religion, PiL, Siouxsie, Cult, Blah Blah Blah. Spent every weekend at the Fetish when I was 18.

We have a 2-year-old daughter and I find that I'm a pretty good parent - and much more strict than I swore I'd be ;) !

I don't get out to shows at all like I used to. I think the last show I'd see was Cheap Trick (I LOVE them). No wait, it was Bauhaus.

My obsession with Disneyland started at a very young age when my parents would take us. I remember on one occasion I won a radio during a drawing at my Dad's company party there. I was 6 or seven. It was magical.

I do remember going to Disneyland around 1987 with a group of punks worried they would turn us away. They wouldn't let one of our group in because he had a rip in his jeans in rear end. He tied a shirt around his waist and then they would let him in.

Kids today don't know the struggle we went through for them...

12-14-2001, 01:08 PM
It's always tough being the first one over the hill. So you pluck out the shrapnel and keep on.

That said, fly that punk/goth/whatever flag high! Colorful people make my day.

innerSpaceman
12-14-2001, 01:27 PM
I'm still a punk at heart, though it's been a while since my hair was blue and spikey. Still dress punkish some weekends, but nowadays my job is strictly suit and tie (who'd a'thought?!). Tatoos will be with me always, but I've let some piercings fade away. First show was The Ramones back in '76 or so when I was 16 (you do the math); last show was last year, headlined by Pennywise. My older siblings were total hippies (went to Woodstock, the works), I was a complete punk in my youth, my daughter was a Goth until recently. Can't wait to see what my grandkids will be into.

Hades
12-14-2001, 01:33 PM
WHAT?!?! YOU NEVER WENT TO THE CUCKOO'S NEST IN COSTA MESA! EMMAPEEL007, HOW COULD YOU CALL YOURSELF A PUNK!!!

Just kidding!!:D I love the fringe cultures! I was always the goody 2 shoes in the family, but I had the colorful friends! I liked going to Linda's Doll House (bummer that it got torn down :p ). Ahhh, the good ol days! hehehe

"Oi! to the Punks, Oi! to the Skins, Oi! to the World, now everybody wins!" hehehe, love that No Doubt Chistmas song!

cemeinke
12-14-2001, 01:44 PM
Let's see, the first show was the Screamers at the Whiskey, probably around 1979--Back when KROQ billed itself as the "ROQ of the Eighties" and you were lucky to get it outside LA proper (I grew up in Orange County). Saw lots of bands in small venues. At the time I was a "punk" but there weren't all the sub-divisions at the time--I remember our local Licorice Pizza having a "punk" section made up of 2 record bins, it was easy to own the complete punk collection those days. I guess I gravitated to the goofy/artsy side, Devo, Talking Heads, Ultravox, Pere Ubu, etc. but managed to see a lot of the punk staple of the time.

I'm not sure what I consider myself these days. I recently shocked my co-workers by bringing in some punk-era photos of myself, so I look much more conservative in my working life. I find I feel a bit out of place at concerts these days, but I still go when something strikes my fancy. I just trip out on seeing kids dressed the way we used to, feels very time-warpish. The I just think they need to be out there finding a new way to irritate the generation of their parents ;)

Oh, last concert, Chicks on Speed at the Knitting Factory

No kids yet, but my nieces think I'm a pretty cool uncle :cool:

As for Disneyland, I grew up going there and never grew tired of the place. I have a gradnight photo (1980) of me and a punk friend wearing spandex--later that evening, Disney security took us back stage to make us dress more "decently" it was a hoot. I'd been away from Disneyland for several years, more form neglect than anything else. But my same punk friend, whose also a Disney fan, reminded me how much I liked the place. And with AP's courtesy of Not Afraid, I'm there every week.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-14-2001, 01:51 PM
I was a geek when "geek" was a pejorative; I was a geek when geek was chic, and I'm still a geek. My idea of fun party music is Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven. Please see the "goth" thread for how I dress.

SimpTwister
12-14-2001, 03:03 PM
I look pretty normal now.

I've decided it doesn't do much good to stand out so much. My modus operandi now is 'infiltrate and conquer'!

I was never really part of the mohawk-and-safety-pin crowd though... My 'glory days' were in Minneapolis when the scene there was really hot: Babes in Toyland, Run Westy Run, Magnolias, Soul Asylum, Gear Daddies, Swingin' Teens, etc. And the final days of the Replacements.

I think the last show I went to was the Misfits with Gwar about a year ago, maybe a bit longer. Not really the Misfits w/out Danzig, but it was still fun.

I also still go to Satyricon ('The Longest Running Club on the West Coast', or something) now and then, to see the up & coming punks and noisy bands.

I am a single parent, though, so I don't get out much.

EmmaPeel007
12-15-2001, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Hades
WHAT?!?! YOU NEVER WENT TO THE CUCKOO'S NEST IN COSTA MESA! EMMAPEEL007, HOW COULD YOU CALL YOURSELF A PUNK!!!

Just kidding!!:D I love the fringe cultures! I was always the goody 2 shoes in the family, but I had the colorful friends! I liked going to Linda's Doll House (bummer that it got torn down :p ). Ahhh, the good ol days! hehehe

"Oi! to the Punks, Oi! to the Skins, Oi! to the World, now everybody wins!" hehehe, love that No Doubt Chistmas song!

Hey, you try getting a ride to OC from the SFV when you're 15 ;) !!!

Do you rmembe the Music Machine? They had some great shows there and they were all ages until I was 17! Then they went to 18 and over (I was bummed). And then just before I turned 18 they went to 21 and over! Now I was mad :mad:. I supported that club!

My hubby's band played The Doll Hut three or four years ago...

FEJ
12-15-2001, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Hades

It was Linda's Doll Hut, not house. It has not been torn down, it just is under new ownership. ( i bartended for Linda when she first owned it 12 years ago (i was 21), and was a local for years).

I may not pe pure punk from "Back in the Day", but have a few roots there. I would consider myself more "New Wave"
:D

I think my first "Punk Show" was the Ziggens at a warehouse party in anaheim while i was in high school. I listened to a lot of punk but didnt get to a lot of shows till aftere i got out of high school. I used to spend my lunches (and blow off classes at OCC) at London Exchange, the "Punk Store" in Orange county. I ahve many friends who were there from the begining of the OC/LA ,movement, but i am happy i came in where i did. if i would have entered any sooner, i might be in jail or dead.

I wouldnt consider myself "OLD SCHOOL"---maybe "MIDDLE SCHOOL":cool:

FEJ
12-15-2001, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by EmmaPeel007

My hubby's band played The Doll Hut three or four years ago...

Who does Hubby play for?

Mad Madam Mim
12-15-2001, 09:15 AM
It has been exactly 17 years sense I had the back of my head shaved short and my bangs in a bright orange triangle hanging in front of my face... obstructing my view... I wonder if that has anything to do with my currently running into things... I had my vision blocked for so darn long I may have done permanent damage.

I think my fave... but not my first... was seeing X at Toes Tavern. Of course I was starting to mellow out then...

Now that I'm 30 I find myself going back to it but for different reasons. The piercing is body adornment and the tattoo (soon to be plural) carry spiritual significance to me.

Weird....

I can't do the hair, though my fave color was always the midnight black that looked plum purple in the sun... except maybe in moderation... I have to be adult and consider my clientele. They might think it strange. The nose Diamond seems to be well excepted though. No chains stretching from nose to ear... although I admit... I want to... SHHHHH... don't tell anyone.

And I am a parent of a six year old... I hope I'm a good mom. But she can't pierce anything beyond her ears until she is 16 and NO tattoos until she has thought long and hard about it... You kind of get stuck with them for life... I don't regret the one I have (it's little) and I won't regret the back piece when I get it.... but I have many friends that do regret theirs.

And I have ALWAYS love DL... even when I was an anarchist. That was a scary stage of my life.... :rolleyes:

Not Afraid
12-15-2001, 10:29 AM
I guess I would be considered Old School with an emphasis on the word old. I started with the punk thing in High School around 1978-79. HB was my handout. My first punk record was a 45" of Siouxsie and the Banshees doing Hong Kong Garden. My first real punk show was Black Flag (w/ Dex) at The Nest. I worked at several record stores, first Licorice Pizza on Brookhurst and Adams, then managing Mad Platter Records on Beach and Garfield. I never limited myself to just the hard-core punk genre and listened to lots of stuff.

Most of my friend were in bands and I went to shows about 4 times a week. I've seen many many forgotten bands as well as some now-big names at really small clubs. I have some great stories, memories and a lot of vinyl (which I still have).

I was never completely radical looking - it just doesn't fit my "style" - whatever that is. Plus, I couldn't be a conformist even with the non-conformists. However, my parents thought I was a freak of nature!

I still listen to alternative music, can't stand commercial radio and can still enjoy a good loud show. I definitely don't look look like your run of the mill professional woman - people always know there's something up :D .

I don't miss the drugs/booze lifestyle. A lot of my friends have toned down as well and are not imbibing which is a very good thing for them. Many of the ones who didn't stop are now dead. I don't regret anything I experienced and, if I have kids, I secretly hope they will enjoy exploring alternative lifestyles. With my luck, I'll have to become a soccer mom (not that there's anything wrong with that, it just will be VERY different).

One of these days, I'm going to convert all of that vinyl to CDs - especially the stuff that is not available anymore. Now, that's a project for a rainy day - er, year!

yeo_foxe
12-16-2001, 11:56 AM
I was stuck in Idaho for my Jr. High through college. No goths or punks. But I was always a loner...

I probably woulda been goth had I a similar peer group. I always have had an affinity for black.....

EmmaPeel007
12-16-2001, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by FEJ

Who does Hubby play for?

My hubby was in a band called Cinnnamon Ford at the time. Punky Power Pop stuff. Before that he was in a local band called Angels With Dirty Faces. Played the Lingerie and places like that. And when he was a real young'un he was in an L.A. punk band called Urban Guerilas. They even had a hit on Rodney's show (woo hoo!)

mad4mky
12-16-2001, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Mad Madam Mim
Weird....

But she can't pierce anything beyond her ears until she is 16 and NO tattoos until she has thought long and hard about it... You kind of get stuck with them for life... I don't regret the one I have (it's little) and I won't regret the back piece when I get it.... but I have many friends that do regret theirs.

Well...I thought the same thing. And I wish you well....I talked until I was blue in the face about my oldest getting a tattoo. The day she turned 18 (Sept of the year), she went a got one. So much for my tried and true wisdom I tried to lay on her. Course, it didn't help much when we went together up to Haight St. in S.F. last January...we did the "mom and daughter bonding" day. I let her get her tongue pierced (she'd been asking me for 2 years...) and I got a tattoo on my right ankle...It's of Mickey Mouse of course...but I did get it.
Still, I wish she would have waited until she was over 40 like I am to get a tattoo.

MickeyD
12-16-2001, 03:02 PM
Ok, I wasn't a punk, but I was that clean cut/straight laced person who hung out with the punks. You guys know who I'm talking about right, that one totally out of place person with all the punks. The punks were the best. I loved hanging out with my friend Renee who had a different color hair every week (there was almost always a story involved, I remember one time she accidentally died her whole body purple.) And she always had the newest tallest Docs....But she had to scuff them up, she hated when they were new. Oh and boy did I get a musical education.

lillas
12-16-2001, 07:02 PM
it seems that the real rebels of today are the ones that drive the speed limit, work hard, go to church, vote republican, and have no piercings or tatoos.

stinkerbell
12-17-2001, 01:01 AM
Not old enough to be quite punk, but I gave it a try. I had the bilevel/surfer haircut and my blonde highlights were pretty wacky in North Carolina and eventually Oregon. More of a skater thing, I guess. I wore my Converse well. My first concert was Loverboy---hey I'm not proud, just a fact, man. My first concert that I CLAIM proudly was The Cure in LA in 1986, I think in July....Ironically, my last concert, not punk, not quite goth, just spiritual--Depeche Mode in Portland in August, I think.

I was never allowed to dress too far out there. Raised by a lifer military dad.........:eek:

Cadaverous Pallor
12-17-2001, 03:32 PM
I can't wait until I'm old enough to talk about my crazy youth. I was too young for the whole early 80's punk thing and never even close to being a goth or a trencher (back before Columbine made it a crime to wear a trenchcoat, of course). In fact, I was a total geek in high school, surprise surprise. :)

It wasn't until after high school that I started getting into ska. I never did learn to swing dance, but I did do my fair share of skanking. After putting my black and white checked shoes to rest, I became a raver, which I loved, but now I'm already settling down. My "bohemian" period lasted such a short time. Probably a good thing for my body though. ;)

I now realize why I never could've been a punk - I'm not into dying my hair or putting holes in my body. I don't even have ear piercings. I'm a hippie child through and through.