PDA

View Full Version : Only 3 Days to go...

disneyhound
01-24-2005, 09:02 AM
We depart for out annual DL trip Thursday morning! We are flying into John Wayne, and if all goes as scheduled, we should be in the park for lunch. :)

I have been reading posts here at MP and making a list of things we have to do this trip. I decided to take a more pro-active experience this year; one issue is food in the park. In the past, we have just grabbed food where convient. This year we have menus for the park, we know where to go, and what we want to try.

I booked our hotel and airfare months ago, and I bought our park-hoppers through disneys website. In the past I had included park-hoppers in our vacation package, but, we ended up with a voucher for the park-hopper, and had to go to guest relations area and wait to be processed. Not this year, we go straight in... :D

I have a few questions:

1. I have never asked for a complimentary room upgrade. I have seen it discussed here at MP, and was wondering if people have been successful, what their tactics were.

2. Can anyone ask for a tour of Walt's Apartment in the Gallery? Is there a time of the day when it is offered?

3. Where is the off-site Disney store that offers the discounted Disney stuff? Does anyone have the address, or know the store name? My daughter loves all things Disney.

Thanks in advance!

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
01-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Great questions, Disneyhound. I look forward to the answers because we're going to the land on Thursday, too! We won't make it for lunch since we're driving down from NorCal, but we're having dinner at Storyteller's Cafe. Hopefully we'll have good weather and light crowds. Enjoy your trip! :)

MissMoriah
01-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi,

I have never asked for a complimetary room upgrade, but I have been in a few of the rooms at the Disney Gallery. One of the rooms is used to print the Disney gallery pictures that people can buy. It was originally going to be for used as a bedroom for Walt's daughters or grandchildren. I can't recall which. Another room that I went into was used as an office. I just asked one of the castmembers working if I could take a peek in the room and since it wasn't busy they were happy to show it to me and tell me some of the history.

As for discounted Disneyland merchandise I am trying to find the card to the outlet that I went to. Can't remember off the top of my head, but maybe some one else may post it.

Edited to add: If you want to eat at the Storyteller's Cafe or the Blue Bayou, I suggest making reservations ahead of time (I think you can make reservations up to 30 days in advance) by calling (714) 781-DINE, or (714) 781-3463.

I Heart Disneyland!
01-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Hi,
I have been in a few of the rooms at the Disney Gallery. One of the rooms is used to print the Disney gallery pictures that people can buy. It was originally going to be for used as a bedroom for Walt's daughters or grandchildren. I can't recall which. Another room that I went into was used as an office. I just asked one of the castmembers working if I could take a peek in the room and since it wasn't busy they were happy to show it to me and tell me some of the history.

YOU CAN ASK TO SEE THE OTHER ROOMS IN THE GALLERY??? Whoa baby, I will be doing this when I go next time!

MissMoriah
01-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Well you can ask, but they may not show them to you. I just happened to go at a time when it was slow in the Gallery. The door to the room that was to be the childrens bedroom was open and when a castmember came out I asked if I could take a peek and they said sure. So I was very lucky, but it never hurts to ask.

Earkid
01-24-2005, 12:45 PM
The Disney Character Warehouse is on Orangethrope which is about 4 (?) miles north of Ball Rd. From DL take Harbor north to Orangethorpe and turn right and it's on your right (south side of street).

CoasterChickie
01-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Hi Disneyhound!

Only 3 days to go? Awesome!

Are you stayng at the Disneyland Hotel? If so, when you check in just ask if they have rooms available in the Sierra Tower since it is the closest to the park. Then depending on whether you want a view of DTD or the pool ask them for the highest floor you can get without any extra charge. They might offer you a rom on the end with a balcony or a room in the midddle without a balcony. The ones without balconies are slightly bigger and have the better views. Hope that helps. January is low season so your chances of getting a complimentary upgrade are probably good. :)

Raven
01-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Great answers, really helps me too! Any good room ideas at the Grand Californian? Have fun this week!

disneyhound
01-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Unfortunately CoasterChickie, we are staying at a good neighbor hotel, the Crowne Plaza. I stayed at the DL Hotel with my folks way back when clocks were non-digital; yet these days I can't justify the added cost to stay on-property. I don't know if the Crown Plaza has rooms with better views, but that would be a good question to ask; Thanks!

CoasterChickie
01-24-2005, 01:46 PM
You're welcome! :)

And BTW, if the Crowne Plaza in Anaheim is anything like the Crowne Plaza in Burlingame, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it!!

P.S. Raven...when you go to the GCH ask if they have a room with a nice view that's close to the main lobby. Otherwise , you'll end up walking a LONG way to get to your room and/or back to the lobby and out into DTD.

disneyhound
01-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Another Question: What is the price to upgrade from a Park-hopper to an AP. I 've read posts about it, but can't remember the cost. Is it the price difference? Do you have to do it right away? Do they credit the unused days on the pass towards the AP?

CoasterChickie: Your avatar looks like a day at the beach in my neck of the woods, stay warm, try not to get sand-blasted, cold water!

Surfingstitch
01-24-2005, 02:04 PM
To upgrade to an AP from a parkhopper, they will charge you the difference. The amount will depend on which AP you get.

disneyhound
01-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Do they do that at the Guest Relations windows, to the left of DL main entrance?

Surfingstitch
01-24-2005, 02:46 PM
When I did my upgrade this Dec. I paid for the difference at the ticket booth.

If you have a photo on file, you can pick up your new AP from guest relations in DCA.

If not, I believe that you have to get your picture taken near the exit of space mountain.

disneyhound
01-24-2005, 03:17 PM
I wonder if the difference to pay is between the ticket booth price of a 5 day park-hopper ($209) and an AP, or the advance purchase price of that ticket ($139) from an on-line acquisition?

danyoung
01-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Can anyone ask for a tour of Walt's Apartment in the Gallery? Is there a time of the day when it is offered?

There may be a bit of confusion here. When you say Gallery, you probably mean the area above Pirates, where they do art exhibits and stuff. While this was going to be an apartment for the Disney family, it was never completed before his death.

When most people talk about Walt's apartment, they're referring to the area above the fire station on Main Street, near the train station. This has been there since the park opened in 1955, and to my knowledge is not available to the public (although there may be a newer tour that would allow it). I've always wanted to see this room, have in fact had dreams where I was up there looking over the morning crowds on Main Street (hey, not like I'm obsessing or anything, but it did happen a couple times!). If you find a way in, be sure to post here!!!

Surfingstitch
01-24-2005, 04:39 PM
I wonder if the difference to pay is between the ticket booth price of a 5 day park-hopper ($209) and an AP, or the advance purchase price of that ticket ($139) from an on-line acquisition?

The difference is the price printed on the ticket you have and the pass you want to get.

In this case, you would be paying an extra 70.00

disneyhound
01-25-2005, 06:21 AM
There may be a bit of confusion here. When you say Gallery, you probably mean the area above Pirates, where they do art exhibits and stuff. While this was going to be an apartment for the Disney family, it was never completed before his death...

You are right, I was thinking that it was the area above POTC...

rentayenta
01-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Now its only 2 days disneyhound :D

disneyhound
01-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Now its only 2 days disneyhound :D

Cowabunga rentayenta!

I am just going through the motions here at work, really not into starting anything new, I'm in pre-vacation mode...

disneyhound
01-25-2005, 05:25 PM
One day at work left for me...

One day at school left for my daughter...

OMG :D :eek: :D ;) :D :eek:

that's me, in no particular order