PDA

View Full Version : Best time to leave for DLR from San Diego

BQ2
01-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Hi all, We usually leave for DLR in the morning. This Tuesday we will leave in the afternoon. So, I was wondering what is the latest you would leave in the afternoon to avoid most of the nasty LA traffic. 3:00 PM?? Then, if we have to stay home and wait it out, what time should we leave in the evening 6:00PM ?? Thanks BQ2

SoCalDude
01-24-2005, 01:11 AM
We live in SD - and we usually leave between 11am and 1pm. We never seem to hit traffic with the excpetion of between the Del Mar Fair area and Legoland (there is always random traffic there).

Leaving the park at 6 will still have you in traffic, we never leave the park before 7pm and never have a problem with that time.

But re-reading your question I think I am no sure what you are asking exactly..

Stupid_American
01-24-2005, 05:39 AM
Most of that nasty LA trffic stays in LA, so you won't need to worry.:p
Most of the South Orange County traffic will be heading south during the evening commute.
Catch the carpool lane in San Juan Capistrano and stay there to Disney Drive (exit left, from carpool lane).
You might hit a little traffic around the 55 and 22, but it shouldn't be too bad.

MouseWife
01-24-2005, 06:10 AM
We've left San Diego in the afternoon, about 6-7 and it worked out pretty well. We also normally leave early in the morning to avoid traffic and then just hang out early at the hotel or somewhere having breakfast.

If you haven't done this, and, I don't know if you have kid or what BUT we really enjoyed the difference of traveling after it got dark. They were tripping out on the sky's colors and the people who are out at this time. And the air felt different, too.

Ooo. I wanna go, too. Have fun.

Oh, if there is trouble, don't forget you can pull over and have dinner somewhere and let the traffic die down. We usually stop in San Juan Capistrano but of course, there are a lot of places to stop.

Doodle Duck
01-24-2005, 09:09 AM
There is a magic time to leave Encinitas for LA and of course Anaheim as well on a weekday morning...8:15 we are on the 5 headin' north. Before sucks and after sucks. Don't know why...it's just 'magic'. :-)

So from San Diego leave about 15 minutes earlier than that I'd reckon.

Never have had a problem.

For afternoon from San Diego the secret of avoiding the mess at the split and through North County is get on 5 no later than 2:40 pm.

Friday is a crap shoot however and before 1-1:30 pm is usually best.

We usually go Sunday and leave about 8:30-9am for a happy quiet cruize north.

Doug

MouseWife
01-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Okay, I am a big dork. I see your avatar and you do have kids... :geek:

BQ2
01-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all your input. I got caught up at work today so we are going to leave tomorrow, around noon :)

bandboy1985
01-24-2005, 03:40 PM
i recall at a recent audition, talking to a girl who had come to audition for us all the way from san diego.

and we looked at her and said: "what time would you have to get up to do a regular shift, woman?!?"

well, maybe not the woman part. but i do recall that her answer was "freaking early!"