PDA

View Full Version : Anyone register for next year's WDW Marathon/Half?

Pages : [1] 2

Lani
01-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Let's get a running show of hands of who's already regisered for the marathon for next January! I know both Len Testa and Mike Scopa have registered already, this time for the FULL!

kisroo
01-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi Lani~
Do people walk this race? I've been thinking of doing this with my 60+ yr old mom. She's a walker and we've done several 10k walks together. I know we'd have to really train, but I think this would be so much fun! And a fun trip to treat my mom to as well, of course. ;)
Thanks for any info. I'm still impressed with people who run them. I used to run, but since my knees and now, my back, I am sticking to walking. :)
~kisroo

Lani
01-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi Kisroo -- yes, people DO walk this event, but you need to be warned that you have to be able to walk fast. We'll be publishing an article by me this Tuesday that talks about some problems some of the slower walkers had this year, where there were some major glitches. Hopefully Disney won't re-create THAT fubar next year...

If you and your mom can walk a 10K in 90 minutes you'll be in fine shape. If it takes you guys more (like 95 minutes), you'll be cutting it tight on their cut-off time.

AVP
01-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Anyone register for next year's WDW Marathon/Half? Nope. :p

AVP

kisroo
01-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks, Lani! I'll be looking for your article! I'm interested in learning more about the event.
~kisroo:)

keeponrunning
01-26-2005, 11:58 AM
My partner and I are signed up for both the full and half. We're looking into mental counselling next :-)

hersheythecat
02-04-2005, 11:28 AM
I wanna do it but my training did not go soo good for the 2005 1/2 marathon. Spookrepitus and I were suppose to do it together but she ended up doing it and I just stayed home.

ericles
02-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Oh wow! Was I glad to come across this thread!

I am "training" for the 1/2 marathon - my very first endeavor ever of this type! We just got our registrations in the mail and will be mailing them in at the beginning of next week. My cousin, newly relocated to the East Coast from Colorado - and who is a Personal Trainer with many runs under her belt - is helping me, and will be doing the half marathon along with me. My husband is thrilled because it means another Disney vacation for our family! :p

I'm thirsty for as much info and I can get...I've read a couple of books (if memory serves, they were recommended by Lani) and I am very excited.

I'm off to read all the posts on this !!! Thanks for those who started this thread, the information will be very welcomed, especially for those of us who haven't ever attempted anything like this before.

Lani
02-05-2005, 08:52 AM
ericles -- you're in luck. I'll be running a year-long series about the WDW marathon here, beginning this month. Keep an eye out for it!

Lani
02-05-2005, 09:19 AM
OK, I've registered both me and Alex for the half for next year. :)

OkieSkellington
02-17-2005, 04:18 PM
I intend to run the full next year. I am currently training for the Oklahoma City Memorial so I am waiting to see how that goes before I pay my 90 bucks (or whatever it is.) :) Soooo......if I don't get injured in the next few months I intend to register. I have heard Disney is a fast, flat course so I am hoping for a PR!

Mox
02-26-2005, 11:42 PM
I've gone and registered for the half. And this year I may actually train for it. :eek: Seriously, my goal is to run most if not all of it.

Lani
02-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Yay Mox! :)

ericles
03-17-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm officially in! Well....I assume I will be soon. Sent off my registration yesterday - Certified Mail. Yeah - i was that uptight about it!

I'm getting really excited about it...and even though we have a vacation in between now and next Jan. planned, all we have thought about was planning this one!

Lani
03-17-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm officially in! Well....I assume I will be soon. Sent off my registration yesterday - Certified Mail. Yeah - i was that uptight about it!
Yay!!!!! Go go go go!!! :) :) :)

stan4d_steph
03-17-2005, 01:22 PM
So if you walk it, how fast do you have to go to be able to finish?

Lani
03-17-2005, 01:55 PM
So if you walk it, how fast do you have to go to be able to finish?
It's a 16-minute-per-mile minimum. But keeping in mind various potty stops and aid station stops for water, I would recommend nothing slower than a 15-minute mile. If you can manage 4 miles per hour on the treadmill at a level-2 incline, you should be OK.

Mark Goldhaber
03-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Hey, I was just wondering. Is there a minimum speed and do they sweep for the 5K?

MikeScopa
03-21-2005, 06:49 AM
I've actually registered for the half-marathon and depending upon how well I do I may try the full in 2007.

Mike

Lani
03-21-2005, 08:42 AM
I've actually registered for the half-marathon and depending upon how well I do I may try the full in 2007.
Mike! I thought you registered for the full! So is Len out there on his own doing the full??

Lani
03-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Hey, I was just wondering. Is there a minimum speed and do they sweep for the 5K?Nope, not at all. When we went last year, we signed up for the 5K with LisaP and Stan4d_Steph. We walked all the way (except for the last 50 feet, which Steph and Alex decided to run), and the other people behind us were a group of moms with strollers. The 5K is a noncompetitive funwalk. No time limit at all. I think it took us around an hour.

Mark Goldhaber
03-21-2005, 05:43 PM
OK. If that's the case (and I was figuring about an hour or so to walk, if I can keep the pace), then maybe I will see you in January. Let's see how well I can keep on the treadmill over the next few months.

Lani
03-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Woo hoo!

MikeScopa
03-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Mike! I thought you registered for the full! So is Len out there on his own doing the full??

Lani,

I believe Len is doing the half as well. Maybe we can all shoot for the full in 2007.

MikeScopa
03-24-2005, 10:07 AM
OK. If that's the case (and I was figuring about an hour or so to walk, if I can keep the pace), then maybe I will see you in January. Let's see how well I can keep on the treadmill over the next few months.

Wait until the Goldhaber groupies hear this...talk about crowd control issues. ;)