PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Accident 1-22-05

DisneyBob
01-22-2005, 09:15 PM
According to KTLA news at ten, there was an accident at Disneyland (either Mark Twain or Tom Sawyers Island) as of 9:30 this evening. Supposedly one man fell into a hole. That is all they were able to report. Any other news?

Shinku
01-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Anyone watching the KTLA news at 10 tonight? There's been a reported accident on "Huck Finn's island" (OI. :rolleyes: ) where someone allegedly "fell through a hole".

Hmm...I'm not entirely familiar with the island, can someone refresh my memory as to which "hole" we'd be talking about? My first instinct is to say someone was climbing somewhere they shouldn't have.

And now? Your thoughts....

Mox
01-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Mod note: duplicate threads merged.

Shinku
01-22-2005, 09:27 PM
thanks Mox :)

DCAWhites
01-22-2005, 11:20 PM
I was driving on disneyland drive right around 9:45 this evening when at least 2 firetrucks, an ambulance, and a giant anaheim fire dept urban search and rescue tanker all entered the west side backstage area across the tram route. I was wondering what it was. Must have been a cm who got hurt because why would any guest be on the island at that time?

Shinku
01-22-2005, 11:25 PM
How easy would it be to stay on the island after dark? Do they do a sweep of it at dusk? Wait....isn't that sort of similar to a story of a death at the park?

Dexter
01-22-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm sure it was a CM getting ready for Fantasmic!, which runs on weekends.

I Heart Disneyland!
01-22-2005, 11:57 PM
How awful! I hope the person is okay. :( I hate hearing of this stuff happening at DL because I have this feeling if such security there, like nothing bad can happen inside the walls of the Happiest Place on Earth. I will look forward to a report, and hope the person is well.

SCUBAbe
01-22-2005, 11:59 PM
I have this feeling if such security there, like nothing bad can happen inside the walls of the Happiest Place on Earth.

really?? I never feel that secure there or anywhere. I suppose I don't buy onto their marketing...I'm sooo jaded...LOL...and trust me it is far from the happiest place on earth....LOL...but it is a good slogan...;)

I Heart Disneyland!
01-23-2005, 12:06 AM
really?? I never feel that secure there or anywhere. I suppose I don't buy onto their marketing...I'm sooo jaded...LOL...and trust me it is far from the happiest place on earth....LOL...but it is a good slogan...;)

HEEEEEEEEEEEY! No ruining my visions Scubabe!!!!! ha! ;) Isn't DL the next best thing to Mayberry? :eek:

SCUBAbe
01-23-2005, 12:08 AM
HEEEEEEEEEEEY! No ruining my visions Scubabe!!!!! ha! ;) Isn't DL the next best thing to Mayberry? :eek:

OMG....I wouldn't be caught dead in a town like mayberry....LOL....so IMO DL would be better...:),,,however the happiest I have ever been anywhere was NY and vegas. I'm just a city girl...:)...I think I would be even happier in europe or hawaii though....LOL

I Heart Disneyland!
01-23-2005, 12:13 AM
however the happiest I have ever been anywhere was NY and vegas. I'm just a city girl...:).

You know what? I am VERRRRRRRRRRY happy in New York City too, it's my birth place and I love it SO much! You got me there!! :D I am a total city gal too, and I would never live somewhere like Mayberry either! ha! I'd be way happy in Europe too...though as of yet we've not made it there.

King of the Frogs
01-23-2005, 03:31 AM
On Tom Sawyer's Island, there is one especially treacherous pit, at the stage end of the island, where some of the Fantasmic! lighting emerges - it's been acknowledged as a hazard in the past. This is probably what a CM fell into. As I said, just a guess, but probably not a bad one. :D

Regards; KotF

DonaldDuck14
01-23-2005, 12:41 PM
I was talking to my friend who was doing guest control last nite (1/22/05). She said that one of the sound techs was setting up for the second show and like he fell off of the mark twain (ionno what level he was on...i believe it was either the second or third level). And i guess the second show was delayed for awhile and the characters went onto the island for the finale. So if you didn't see the mark twain being used during the second show, then that's why. As far of the accuracy of where exactly he fell... my friend made it seem like he just fell off of the mark twain to the lower level. All i know is that it was sound tech that fell off for whtever reason or event that may have occured.

Metal God
01-25-2005, 10:33 AM
I was talking to my friend who was doing guest control last nite (1/22/05). She said that one of the sound techs was setting up for the second show and like he fell off of the mark twain (ionno what level he was on...i believe it was either the second or third level). And i guess the second show was delayed for awhile and the characters went onto the island for the finale. So if you didn't see the mark twain being used during the second show, then that's why. As far of the accuracy of where exactly he fell... my friend made it seem like he just fell off of the mark twain to the lower level. All i know is that it was sound tech that fell off for whtever reason or event that may have occured. ouch!

Tech5
01-26-2005, 08:00 AM
She said that one of the sound techs was setting up for the second show and like he fell off of the mark twain All i know is that it was sound tech that fell off for whtever reason or event that may have occured.

OK, again, misinformation runs amok.

During the ending of the first show, a stage tech (barge tech), stepped back into an area that was supposed to have a hole cover. The cover was not in place and he fell down one deck. He was taken to the hospital as a precaution. He was released about 11:00pm, and was at home before the tech crew usually leaves the island. He suffered a sprain, and is just fine now.

The Mark Twain was pulled from the second show in order for Safety to come out and inspect it, so we had the stage finale version of the show.

The Mark Twain will also be leaving the show for a few weeks in order to get a new paint job for the 50th anniversary, beginning in Feb.

All techs are not "sound techs". We preform a wide variety of functions from sound to lighting to automation to rigging, and many other extremely high risk jobs. We all know what we do CAN be dangerous, but this is the path we have choosen, and most of us enjoy this type of work. We design, build, operate and maintain the "Disney Magic" seen in almost every show.

I hope this clears up what happened to Fantasmic that night.

adriennek
01-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Thanks for posting, Tech5

Adrienne

Shinku
01-26-2005, 11:24 AM
You rock, Tech5 :)

Thanks for clearing much of this up.