PDA

View Full Version : Carrow's

Vault Disney
01-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Has anyone eaten here? Is it decent or should we avoid it? We are going for 5 days and kids eat free at dinner here, so I was considering it. Thoughts? :)

millionairegirl
01-22-2005, 05:39 PM
I haven't eaten at the Anaheim one, but I have eaten at others. It's Ok, a Denny's kind of place. If you're on a budget I guess I'd recommend it, otherwise there are better places to eat.

Stupid_American
01-22-2005, 06:07 PM
It's like a Denny's with better plates & utensils.

JeffG
01-22-2005, 06:32 PM
It's like a Denny's with better plates & utensils.

Up until about 2-3 years ago, that was literally the case. Dennys sold the Carrows chain in 2002...

-Jeff

TimBuk2
01-22-2005, 06:41 PM
I would go to Tony Roma's across the light at Harbor. It's much better than Denny's or Carrow's.

Or if you like Italian food, Buca de Bepo is just down the road on Harbor, about 1 mile from the DLR parks. It's awesome.

Flint
01-23-2005, 11:12 AM
go to Mimi's instead. Carrow's is icky, and Boca de Bepo is bleh.

rentayenta
01-23-2005, 11:17 AM

I agree with this 100%.

On a side note, I think leaving the parks to eat is a waste. What you save in $, you waste in time. There really are ways to eat affordably in the parks :)

TimBuk2
01-23-2005, 11:36 AM
I agree with this 100%.

On a side note, I think leaving the parks to eat is a waste. What you save in $, you waste in time. There really are ways to eat affordably in the parks :)

Affordable? - What about tasty?

rentayenta
01-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Affordable? - What about tasty?

and tasty. Well at least as tasty, if not better, than Carrow's ;)

sdfilmcritic
01-23-2005, 12:41 PM
I can't remember anything about the food. It's been about eleven or twelves years since I've last been to a Carrow's.

Sebastian
01-23-2005, 05:14 PM
We ate there in August and it seemed to be a nice enough place and the
breakfast was good they even offer free refills on orange juice and milk.

We only ate breakfast there noth lunch though.

kbanmen
01-23-2005, 05:15 PM
We dont mind it..yes it is like a denny's...food is pretty good I thought

sleepyjeff
01-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Carrows with my family every third Monday night from the time I was 6 until I was about 12.............good memories :)

sdfilmcritic
01-23-2005, 05:37 PM
We dont mind it..yes it is like a denny's...food is pretty good I thoughtDenny's and Good Food in the same sentence? I think not! Denny's is one of the few food options I have when I'm at work and forgot to grab a lunch bag on the way out the door to get to work.

TimBuk2
01-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Denny's and Good Food in the same sentence? I think not! Denny's is one of the few food options I have when I'm at work and forgot to grab a lunch bag on the way out the door to get to work.

I'd rather eat that stuff from FEAR FACTOR than go into another Denny's !
:eek:

TimBuk2
01-23-2005, 05:42 PM

What is wrong with Buca? Good food, huge portions, and fun to sit at the kitchen booth.

Even the ESPN ZONE in Downtown has great food.

adriennek
01-23-2005, 07:03 PM
What's wrong with Buca:

1- Too loud.
1a- Often crowded with a long wait.

2- One size fits all family size portions. If you go with a big group of people you can't just order enough chicken marsala to fit your group. You have to order this much. Two orders might be too much, one might be too little. I've been to other family style restaurants that do it per-person (Magianos.) That's a much better system.

Edited to add: we've been with friends who only liked one dish on the table, but only got small portions because we had to divide the dishes up so everyone could have a taste. It wasn't pleasant. Magianos- dish portions to fit the needs of the table and you get to try a bigger variety of food, even if you only have two people. Big Yellow Thumbs Up.

3- Price Range. Buca de Beppo is not in the Carrow's price range. It's pricier. I would suggest Mimi's as an alternative in the same price range.

4- Food's ok. Not worth putting up with 1-3.

One time I went with just my husband and another couple, just for dessert to have tiramisu. It was very late so the place wasn't crowded and we could hear each other's conversation. Best Buca Experience Ever.

Adrienne

disney jones
01-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Buca de Beppo is great for a large group of friends, or a function from work, or something where there's at least 12 adults. It can be a lot of fun then.

but it's not a place for a family or a smaller group of people. even with two families, it doesn't work that well.

rentayenta
01-23-2005, 07:21 PM
We went to BdB in SLC for a friend's birthday. It was mayhem. I like serving food family style when we are having a dinner/wine party at our home but it was awkward having to pass everything down this long table. The food was so-so but my DH makes a way better veal saltimboca(sp?).

Flint
01-23-2005, 08:27 PM
I'd rather eat that stuff from FEAR FACTOR than go into another Denny's !
:eek:

*big ol' /NOD*