PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Entrance for AP's

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

gfy4dland
01-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Went to DLR on Tuesday (1/18) and they were directing AP's to enter DCA through specific gates (7-10 I believe). They said it was the first day they were trying it out. They wanted me to show the picture side of my pass and then feed it through the machine. Anyone else encounter this? I wonder if they will go to special entrances for AP holders. It would be great if this speeds up entrance time.

Darkbeer
01-21-2005, 08:24 PM
I know that SeaWorld San Diego offers a special entrance during peak times, as does other parks (Cedar Point and Six Flags Magic Mountain off the top of my head). Not surprised, no need to stamp the tickets, just scan and check the photo, and say "Have a nice day".

But all it might do for DCA is slow down the AP's, and let the ParkHoppers get in quicker, depending on how many AP gates they open....:fez:

jon80flt
01-21-2005, 08:53 PM
I went in to DCA today with my daughter. Her AP went thru with no problems, but mine locked the turnstile... the CM said it was a new system and it doesn't seem to work very well. It took the CM about 3 minutes to get the turnstile unlocked! :eek:

Corwin17
01-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Not a current story, but the thought of 'dedicated entries' reminds me of when DCA opened.

DL used to have dedicated turnstiles for 'reentry'. Didn't matter if AP or Day guest. When DL lines got too long, we'd go over to the empty DCA entrance, enter, get our hand stamped, then walk over to the reentry turnstile!

We called it the 'DCA Fastpass!' :D

cstephens
01-21-2005, 09:45 PM
I ran into the "APs only" entrances today at DCA as well. They had two lines open at the time I was there, and they scanned my pass like they usually do. The CM said they were testing for the moment, and that DL wasn't doing it. I like the idea of an AP-only entrance, but more along the lines of Sea World, where it's an option, but you can also use the main entrances. The way it's running at DCA at the moment, it's not an option - it's a requirement. You *have* to go through only those lines, at least at the main entrance. That's not a perk - that's being segregated, and on days where there's a lot of APs in the park, it'll take longer for APs to get in than anyone else. I hope they adjust the system to do it the right way.

Darkbeer
01-21-2005, 10:12 PM
But with new features like Early Entry, it seems to be that DIsney want to give "higher rank" to the ParkHoppers and Single Day guests, and that AP holders are becoming the second class citizens.....

averagedork
01-21-2005, 10:35 PM
...yet on average we spend more money there than the one day hopper.

Darkbeer
01-21-2005, 10:41 PM
^How do you know that?

I understand that folks want to say we spent "$X" for our AP's, and we buy food and drink...

But a one time a year visitor is more likely to stay at a Disney Hotel, buy more merchandise, food and drink, and usually pay a higher per day admission price than an AP holder... and therefore a much higher "per day" spending average versus an AP. Heck, AP's start at just $99, less than a 2 day ParkHopper!

averagedork
01-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Wrong wording... okay what I meant was:

When I go to DLR (and I have the spiffy neato pass so I go every weekend because I'd rather go there than see a bad movie. I'd rather see DUH than bum around the mall) Friday night I take out $40 for the weekend. I usually end up getting another $40. So end of the weekend I spend $80 there. I know that seems a lot but I spend the day there, plus during the week I am cheap and I justify it that way. I go usually every weekend. Do the math. I don't buy a whole lot of merchandise. Mostly food. I am not a pin collector, mug collector, etc. I mean right now the only Disney merch I have is my Gonzo doll and a Mickey shirt. So while I may not go with my kids and family and stay at the hotel and buy a krillion bucks in souveniers in a week. I am steadily spending money there and I am like a lot of AP holders I know. We are steady income. Does that make sense? Maybe I should've said "in the long haul"...

Darkbeer
01-21-2005, 11:05 PM
But if I can get 100 people to show up a day and spend $100 on average, and pay the associated costs...

But if I get 200 people to show up a day and spend $50 on average, and now have to pay MORE in associated costs (more labor, more costs due to the use of attractions, etc.) due to the higher volume (traffic)... which is better????

Yes, Disney is stuck on AP holders to keep the "attendance numbers", but they would much rather have "out of town" guests show up and spend more a day!

sdfilmcritic
01-22-2005, 12:10 AM
I hope they would implement this permanently for both parks. I have the bad luck of getting stuck behind those people with admission problems that always take a long time to resolve. :(

PhilMP
01-22-2005, 12:46 AM
They're also testing out a dedicated CM entrance, like at WDW. Lets the Main Entrance CMs better control CM re-entry passes and the like, and it really cuts OUR wait time down. :)

I'm against an AP entrance. I feel it just gives some types of APs another chance to spout off the fact that they're APs. Just today as I was leaving DCA to go to DL, I was waiting to get my hand stamped, and this loud, obnoxious guy was bragging to EVERYBODY in hearing distance that he, as an AP, did not have to get his hand stamped. Woop-dee-doo!! You don't have to get flourescent ink, which smells kinda nice, put on your hand so you can show a big blob of glow-in-the-dark ink to the CM at the DL side.

SoCalDude
01-22-2005, 01:10 AM
But with new features like Early Entry, it seems to be that DIsney want to give "higher rank" to the ParkHoppers and Single Day guests, and that AP holders are becoming the second class citizens.....

I dunno what that had to do with the topic lol, but hey since you brought it up...

I do not see it the same way you do. What do I care if they offer ealry entry to hotel guests? I say give it to them! As an AP I am still sleeping when the park opens up! Why would I need, want or care about ealry entry? If it gets more guests to stay on site as opposed to other hotels then thats a good thing. And when I go to WDW and stay on site you are better believe I will be taking advantage of early entry / extended stay. I do not see how you can justify your statment that 'AP holders are becoming the second class citizens'. They still offer us the same things they have in the ~3 years I have been a passholder, and still treat me very nicley when I am in the park. And I like the idea of an AP only entrance - I hate getting stuck behind people who for whatever reason take 5 minutes to get past those turnstyles! Lemme swipe and walk and I am a happy man for sure.

As an AP holder the only thing I really care about is I can get into the park and ge a few cool 'AP Only' items/promotions. And yes, I admit - as an AP holder there have been countless times we have went to the park and not spent one penny, and even more that we have spent less than $10 in a vist.

Wesley815
01-22-2005, 02:04 AM
I'm against an AP entrance. I feel it just gives some types of APs another chance to spout off the fact that they're APs. Just today as I was leaving DCA to go to DL, I was waiting to get my hand stamped, and this loud, obnoxious guy was bragging to EVERYBODY in hearing distance that he, as an AP, did not have to get his hand stamped. Woop-dee-doo!! You don't have to get flourescent ink, which smells kinda nice, put on your hand so you can show a big blob of glow-in-the-dark ink to the CM at the DL side.Yep! I fully agree with you... in fact, look at what this AP'er posted here on the message boards in another thread-
I don't care as long as I have my Free Parking pass with my Annual Passholder card. :)Ugh... and they wonder why CM's dislike them so much! :rolleyes:

Just because you have an AP doesn't mean the whole world needs to know and bow down to kiss your feet as if you're some type of God.

Their called Annual Passholder's for a reason.

sdfilmcritic
01-22-2005, 02:16 AM
Just because you have an AP doesn't mean the whole world needs to know and bow down to kiss your feet as if you're some type of God.I usually agree there are plenty of difficult APers at there in the world of amusement parks. But you must have me confused for one of them. That was probably my first and only arrogant, pompous AP comment I've said. :shrug: If this makes me a AP a-hole, then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

Oh, and as a side note I actually had to pay the extra $40 dollars to add the "Free Parking" to my AP, so technically I really didn't get it for free. I had to pay money toward parking just like everyone else.

TikiGeek
01-22-2005, 03:47 AM
Not to add further to the derail - but:

You own a business and you have 2 types of customers,
#1- shops once a year and spends $200.
#2- shops 10+ times a year and spends $40+ each shopping trip.

Do you want to alienate customer #2 or treat them as 2nd class :confused:
I guess I don't get it :(

01-22-2005, 06:39 AM
Do you want to alienate customer #2 or treat them as 2nd class :confused:
I guess I don't get it :(

Answer: You don't want to alienate any customer or treat any customer as 2nd class.

HorizonsA
01-22-2005, 08:52 AM
I think it's a great idea. It's kind of funny though. My mom and I have always joked about this, "they should have a private entrance for just people with season passes," she'd always say. But I do wish they'd have the Reentry Gates. But I guess it would be difficult, since with so many park hoppers, I guess you'd have just the same amount of people who are trying to get in for the first time that day and those just coming from DCA.

But I do like the Aps only entrance. That would speed up lines.

adriennek
01-22-2005, 09:04 AM
Please don't self-mask censored words. Let's not resort to name-calling.

Adrienne

HorizonsA
01-22-2005, 09:23 AM
That was really uncalled for Wesely815. I have an AP and you just insulted everyone who has one. There are some APs who think they're higher than thou, but not everyone. These boards were not made to attack anyone, which you just did.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
01-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Gee, Wesley, I sure hope you don't take that attitude on stage with you...

-TLMt

QueenAlisha
01-22-2005, 10:03 AM
A line for AP's would be cool. I wish i could only spend $10 whenever i went to the park, but i have no self control. Not only did they get the money for my AP but they get at least $100 everytime i go, im such a sucker.(Please note at lest some of that money goes to the corn dogs that i MUST have)

SoCalDude
01-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Yep! I fully agree with you... in fact, look at what this AP'er posted here on the message boards in another thread-Ugh... and they wonder why CM's dislike them so much! :rolleyes:

Just because you have an AP doesn't mean the whole world needs to know and bow down to kiss your feet as if you're some type of God.

Their called Annual Passholder's for a reason.

Wes, your post makes it seem as you think you are better than the passholders.

Pot - meet the kettle :eek:

disneymania
01-22-2005, 11:13 AM
This will be my first your as an annual passholder. Even though I live 8 hrs away, I plan to go at least twice this year. It was cheaper, made more sense to buy one. I mean, a five day is now 170$ (around). My pass was only 209. Anyways, yes, it feels WAY neat to say I'm a passholder. Does this mean I'll brag? No. Just means I'm overly excited about it. :fez:

01-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Understandably, feelings run high in discussions about APs.

General reminder to all: You may attack the post but not the poster.

Thanks,
-Helen/3894