PDA

View Full Version : Are there Mickey Mouse Pancakes?

Pages : [1] 2

jon80flt
01-20-2005, 09:41 PM
As a child, I remembered most vividly running to the River Belle Restaurant (was it called that in the late 60's - early 70's?) right from the front gates, in order to get HUGE Mickey Mouse Pancakes with all the different toppings that made the face. :D

Do they still serve those? Almost every time I walk by the River Belle it's closed, and the menu on the stand says nothing about pancakes. :confused:

I know that Goofy's Kitchen serves silver-dollar pancakes and Mickey shaped waffles... but no MM Pankcakes. :crying:

Do they have MM pancakes anywhere? :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Jon

Niwel
01-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Get ready to run back to River Belle, Jon! Mickey Mouse pancakes are still there -- syrup is no longer on the tables, though. You have to get there before 10:30/11 --- they stop serving breakfast at that point. But they open when the park does -- just sometimes only one side is open.

5hr drive
01-21-2005, 04:04 AM
Is my memory all wrong or do they have Mickey-eared pancakes at the Carnation Cafe? I know they have them at River Belle Terrace, but I thought I saw them on the menu at CC as well.

Shortiemetoo
01-21-2005, 04:53 AM
When we went to DL in the 60's our parents brought us there for a mickey mouse pancake and I think it was called Aunt Jemimas kitchen or something like that....Anyone else remember that?? :confused:

stan4d_steph
01-21-2005, 05:33 AM
When we went to DL in the 60's our parents brought us there for a mickey mouse pancake and I think it was called Aunt Jemimas kitchen or something like that....Anyone else remember that?? :confused:Yes (http://www.yesterland.com/auntjemimamemory.html). The current River Belle Terrace is the location of the former Aunt Jemima Pancake House. It was known as Aunt Jemima's Kitchen from 1962 to 1970.

Shortiemetoo
01-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Phew....it wasn't just a dream!!! ;)

dlandnut
01-21-2005, 07:10 AM
A great family tradition. We ALWAYS do the MM Pancakes at the River Belle Terrace. Just get there early. The line does move fast, however. I'll be there in June to enjoy. :)

QueenAlisha
01-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Carnation Cafe has Mickey Waffels, they are SOOOO good.

gn2dlnd
01-21-2005, 12:50 PM
I love pancakes!

Andrew
01-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Me too. I don't get them often enough. River Belle's Mickey pancakes are the best!

magicpointeshoe
01-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Me too. I don't get them often enough. River Belle's Mickey pancakes are the best!

I like the Mark Twain breakfast there more. The Mickey Mouse pancake is just too much of one type of food for me. In fact, that breakfast is one of my favorite things to look forward to on the trip.

Juliet and Dh really like the pancakes though.

stan4d_steph
01-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Me too. I don't get them often enough. River Belle's Mickey pancakes are the best!I like the silver dollar pancakes. :)

Niwel
01-21-2005, 01:29 PM
I was there once and saw them playing around with blueberry pancakes. They didn't sell them, I think they were experimenting. How cool would it be if they made BLUEBERRY MM pancakes? (yum!) :)

CoasterChickie
01-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Here's a picture of a Mickey Mouse pancake at the River Belle Terrace:

Click on MMMMM (http://coasterchickie.us/images/IMAG0562.JPG)

experiment626
01-21-2005, 05:06 PM
I agree they are the best. I told my daughter that I wanted to go to RBT and get a MM Pancake but was told "we aren't at Disneyland."

jon80flt
01-21-2005, 06:53 PM
(laceing up my running shoes)

It looks like I know what I'm doing the next time I go to Disneyland! I just hope my girls can keep up with me!!!

MM Pancakes... here I come! :fez:

Maus
01-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Mickey Mouse pancakes are also at the Lilo and Stitch buffet breakfast at the PCH Grill. I didn't try them, however, I'm not a pancake fan. They also have Mickey waffles and I love those. Storyteller's waffles are better, though, because they make them up fresh and bring them to your table. Yum!

cstephens
01-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Blueberry pancakes at Soap Opera Bistro's breakfast. *Those* were amazing, as was breakfast there. *sigh*

MrsG
01-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Blueberry pancakes at Soap Opera Bistro's breakfast. *Those* were amazing, as was breakfast there. *sigh*
Someone tell me why they closed this restaurant. I keep hearing about their good food and I never got a chance to try it. Was it the obscure soap opera theme?

cstephens
01-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Someone tell me why they closed this restaurant. I keep hearing about their good food and I never got a chance to try it. Was it the obscure soap opera theme?

Well, they apparently weren't as busy as they would have liked to be, but as far as breakfast goes, that's entirely their own fault. They didn't actually bother to TELL anyone about what the breakfast was like. At one point, there was a little tiny flyer listing the breakfast options in the park, and the breakfast burritos at Maliboomers was listed alongside breakfast at Soap Opera Bistro. There was no mention of what the breakfast entailed, so it didn't catch our attention at all. My husband and I were in the park early one day and just wandered over and decided to check it out. Here's my review of the Soap Opera Bistro breakfast (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/bistro050501.html). My husband and I happened to be talking about this the other day, and I so wish we'd had pictures of stuff. We told pretty much everyone we knew about the breakfast, and most were excited about it and wanted to go. A couple of friends that we ran into that day (Saturday) were interested enough to go the next day - to discover that it was the last day the breakfast was being offered. Because people weren't coming to breakfast. Because they weren't bothering to tell anyone. *sigh*

Opus1guy
01-23-2005, 11:23 AM
When we went to DL in the 60's our parents brought us there for a mickey mouse pancake and I think it was called Aunt Jemimas kitchen or something like that....Anyone else remember that??

I probably had more pancakes at Aunt Jemima's than at home! They were perfect. Four perfect squares/pads (not scoops) of butter melting on a hot stack of golden brown heaven. And that glass bottle of syrup in the shape of Auntie right on every table. Ummmmm....good!

:)

BTW, it didn't go from Aunt Jemima's direct to River Belle Terrace. It was called the "Magnolia Tree Terrace" there for a brief time inbetween.

Opus1guy
01-23-2005, 11:59 AM
I hope the sailor that writes his fond memory of meeting "Aunt Jemima herself" at Disneyland in the above referenced Yesterland link:

http://www.yesterland.com/auntjemimamemory.html

...was writing that as one would write they "met" Mickey Mouse. Because that wasn't any sort of real person named Jemima:

By 1955 Aylene Lewis was cooking pancakes as Aunt Jemima at Disneyland. Goings asserts that well into the 1960s many people believed that they had met the real Aunt Jemima. (Goings, 73) When Aunt Jemima was being responded to as a historical figure as opposed to a fantasy-like creation it is no wonder that our country was in so much trouble at this time.

From: http://www.macalester.edu/~harris/publications/AQ.html

marktips
01-23-2005, 12:12 PM
A rebuttal to the above article/essay:

There were other black Disney employees at DL besides the Aunt Jemima character. Watch the videos from the early theme park specials and such. Therefor, her statement that "Aunt Jemima served white guests only" and "Disneyland was not open to black people" are false because they based on the beleif that the park was void of various peoples - people of color had access to the park, as employees and patrons.

Opus1guy
01-23-2005, 12:24 PM
A rebuttal to the above article/essay:

There were other black Disney employees at DL besides the Aunt Jemima character. Watch the videos from the early theme park specials and such. Therefor, her statement that "Aunt Jemima served white guests only" and "Disneyland was not open to black people" are false because they based on the beleif that the park was void of various peoples - people of color had access to the park, as employees and patrons.

Didn't mean to go in that direction! :)

Of course, and I agree that some of the quoted material in that piece is inaccurate or reflects many gross generalizations. But I wasn't posting for the general theme of the piece...just the reference to the fact that wasn't really some real person known as Aunt Jemima there in the Park. Something to which many people still believe to be true to this day. It was just a person hired to portray the character.

MrsG
01-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Well, they apparently weren't as busy as they would have liked to be, but as far as breakfast goes, that's entirely their own fault. They didn't actually bother to TELL anyone about what the breakfast was like.*
Well, if I had known about breakfast I would have gone. There are so few places in the parks to eat breakfast and they are usually very busy. I'm sorry to have missed it. :(