PDA

View Full Version : Flag Retreat/Veteran of the Day

Vault Disney
01-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Do they have this at DL like at WDW? :)

Karen256
01-19-2005, 07:22 PM
According to the calendar on Disneyland.com, there is a flag retreat ceremony scheduled for 4:30 pm on every day that I checked. What is this? Is it something worth seeing?

SoCalDisneyLover
01-19-2005, 08:01 PM
It is the lowering and removal of the flag. There is music played, which as far as I know is usually pre-recorded. Then the flag is lowered, folded and carried away for overnight storage.

It is a nice little ceremony, and lasts about 5-10 minutes. Go near the flag at 4:30 if you want to see it.

SueinSac
01-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Flag retreat can be an emotional moment! My dad, a WWII-era vet, started to tear up when we watched it one day, and not much makes him shed a tear! When we talked about our Disneyland trip later, he said that watching Flag Retreat was the high point of his whole trip.

It's not a big e-ticket, but I'm glad DL does it. :)

Sue in Sacramento

cstephens
01-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Here's an older thread that also discussed the flag retreat (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=30596).

Drince88
01-20-2005, 03:42 PM
So do they do the "Veteran of the Day" at DL?
This is a Veteran that they basically hand the folded flag to at the end of the ceremony and he/she gets a certificate, I think.

Last time (at WDW) I watched it with my sister (we went to the MK from Epcot JUST for the flag retreat), they started folding the flag wrong (stars weren't going to be on the outside) and I almost got the giggles thinking of the veteran making them re-do it.

Last time I watched it at DL was the week of September 17th, 2001. EVERYONE stopped for it and the hub was quite crowded.

h_lehmann
01-20-2005, 06:05 PM
I've only seen it twice, on my last two trips to the park. I never even knew it existed before that until I read about it on this board. (I'm not usually hanging around town square at that time of the day, so I've never had a chance to just stumble upon it)
Both times that I've seen it they've had a live band; once it was the US College All-Star Band (or whatever they call it), the other time it was the regular Disney marching band.
It's a really nice ceremony and well worth seeing, especially if you have kids. It's a great way to instill patriotism in them(in a good way). Neither time have I seen any Veteran-of-the-day, though.

PhishyBrewer
01-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Leaving this morning for DLR from Sacramento. CalTrans is still working on the Grapevine. I knew we should of left at 3am.