PDA

View Full Version : When to apply for a job...

Pages : [1] 2

evilchild666
01-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I have a question. I plan on working at Disneyland or California Adventure this summer and i was just wondering if any current or former cast members, or even anyone that might the answer could help me out. When should i go in and apply for a job if i plan on starting around mid June? thanks a lot.

PhilMP
01-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Depends on what you want to work. For Attractions, right now is horrible, no land is hiring, and if you do somehow get hired, it's going to be as a CT, which means you won't be working until summer anyways, other than a couple weeks during spring break.

Foods, especially ODV, has its hiring rush around March and April for the summer. Again, expect to be hired in as a CT, with a chance for CR conversion at the end of the season.

Most other departments are the same way. And demand for new hires is always changing based on operational requirements, if the 50th is going to be as busy as we all think/hope, we'll be hiring a lot earlier than usual.

Phil

snappy
01-19-2005, 08:10 PM
I was hired on June 20th, 2004. Filled out Application, interviewed and was hired in the same day. Actual total time was under 1 hour. I requested CT status since I have a regular job. I thought it was a pretty easy process. Only regret is if I had shown up a month earlier they had openings for attractions. (my first choice) Ended up with ODV. Good luck. Remember to go early and make a good impression.

calguy77
01-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey, so if I want to work attractions when would be the best time to go? Also, do they ever hire bartenders or is that internal hiring? Thanks for the help

evilchild666
01-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all the help. I either want to work in ODV or in retail. I was planning on going down sometime in March, and go down as much as i could after that until i get hired. kinda hard to find time to go down and apply since im going to college in San Luis Obispo, but i will make the time if it means having a job at disneyland!

DLRCM
01-19-2005, 10:45 PM
I was hired on June 20th, 2004. Filled out Application, interviewed and was hired in the same day. Actual total time was under 1 hour.

I was hired in on the day of my interview as well. But mine took a little over 2 hours. Ther were a lot of people there that day (this past September). If there is a specific job you are looking for (ie- attractions, odv, merchandise) than I'd suggest looking at the jobs website (www.DisneylandResortJobs.com) and calling the hotline that is listed on their page. They tell you right there if they are looking for people in that specific field. Good luck!

DCAWhites
01-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Attractions is hiring, infact most depts are hiring. I was there at casting as recently as one week ago transferring positions and everything seemed to be hiring besides merchandise (dont recall seeing that). Even guest relations was hiring, and it said it on the sheet, which is often unusual. They had CR positions in all of them too.

MrsG
01-20-2005, 08:50 AM
I requested CT status since I have a regular job.
When you are hired, can you request certain hours? For example, can you say I can't work past 7 pm or I need to work days only? Nights only? TIA

DCAWhites
01-20-2005, 12:42 PM
You aren't required to work monday-thursday or friday up till 6pm in the offseason, just the weekends. Summer and holiday periods you must be fully available, but you can always preference a specific time you want to work year round, and they'll try their best to meet them if you give reasonable preferences. Your best bet would be working nights only. Dont tell this to casting though, just say you're fully available friday after 6, saturday and sunday, all holidays, and all holiday vacations. Work out the details with scheduling once you've been there a bit.

I know If i wanted to or could afford to I could work 6:30-10:30 at night all summer long.

PhilMP
01-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Hehe, you might want to re-think hiring in ODV. :) j/k. I've been there, done that, I loved it. Once you make it past your first year and gain a little seniority and maybe a bit of job knowledge it's fun. Other than that you're standing around, alone, either bored out of your mind or going crazy from being so busy. It's not bad, mind you, but it can get old really quickly.

On the other hand, it's one of the most fun departments in the park, it's just that Guests and other CMs only see the standing alone at a cart part of it. I've had many memorable days of immense fun and enjoyment, once all my required duties were done, of course.

Regarding hours, as a CR, during off-season you can basically name your own hours monday-thursday. Friday through Sunday are based on a requested block of time, and what your seniority warrants you. Don't expect to request days on the weekends and get them if you just hired in. Peak season scheduling is the same as weekend scheduling, you can request certain hours, no guarantee when you're going to get them. Same goes for days off during peak seasons.

As a CT, you basically get whatever's left. However, once you're there for a few years scheduling and the leads start to know you, and start giving you shifts that aren't really what your lack of seniority deserve. It all just depends. :)

Phil

snappy
01-20-2005, 08:36 PM
When you are hired, can you request certain hours? For example, can you say I can't work past 7 pm or I need to work days only? Nights only? TIA
YOu can request it but you won't get past the two ladies taking your applications. They will say you have to be fully available in order to get an interview. I was to be interviewed with 3 other canidates and they got booted because they couldn't work past 8:00pm. Good luck..

SarahJanet
01-20-2005, 11:53 PM
What on earth does all this shorthand mean? ODV? CT? CR? Huh?

MrsG
01-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks all. You gave me info I was searching for.

SarahJanet:
ODV - Out door vending
CT - Casual Temporary status
CR - Casual Regular status

CrazyTrain
01-21-2005, 10:16 AM
SaraJanet, all the acronyms are posted right over here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=8117). :) It's a very helpful and handy resource!

Niwel
01-21-2005, 10:43 AM
You can also check out Cast Place (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kevin/) for hiring, orientation and working stories from around WDW and Disneyland.

Disneyland2004
01-21-2005, 11:32 AM
so is it pretty easy to get a job at disneyland. when is a good time to apply? me and my friend are wanting to work there summer and probably after summer to since we're moving to LA for college.

evilchild666
01-22-2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone, but i have one more question. Does it matter at all that i haven't had any previous job experience? Will they still consider me? I am very passionate about working at the DLR, and very upbeat and cheerful. Hopefully thats what they want more than previous job experience. Oh, yeah...just remebered another question. Is it necessary to bring a resume when i go apply? Did any of you current cast members bring a resume?

TimBuk2
01-22-2005, 06:50 PM
I found it real easy to get a job there, especially if you know someone that gives you a recommendation.

I worked at the Plaza Inn for one summer (1978) - ooohh ggeezzz that's been 27 years now! TimBuk2 is gettin' old . . . but not tired of Disneyland.

Even after I quit, I went in with 2 guests every day for a week after. All we had to do was sign in at the gate, no computer scanners back then. It was easy.

So yeah, I agree that checking with them in the Spring is best for Summer work. I hope you know they DON'T PAY SQUAT for most jobs. (I made a whopping $3.10 in 1978, and I was happy it was over min. wage. Mgmt sucked, so I quit.

MrsG
01-22-2005, 06:54 PM
So what is the current rate of pay??

snappy
01-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Go to www.disneyjobs.com to check the latest pay scale. I was paid a whopping $7.40 an hour in ODV as a CT. If you're like me, it's not the pay but the experience of working at Disneyland. Gas was costing me more than what I made. Just have fun

TimBuk2
01-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Go to www.disneyjobs.com to check the latest pay scale. I was paid a whopping $7.40 an hour in ODV as a CT. If you're like me, it's not the pay but the experience of working at Disneyland. Gas was costing me more than what I made. Just have fun

"disneyjobs" didn't come up. Did you mean DisneyCareers.com ?

MrsG
01-22-2005, 07:53 PM
I couldn't get disneyjobs.com either. And Disneycareers.com gives you job listings but not pay rates. :confused:

TimBuk2
01-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I think SNAPPY is right about the average pay rates at the DLR parks today.

I do know that Security gets a little more, my friend was applying for them and it was about $10 per.

Niwel
01-22-2005, 09:24 PM
try www.disneylandjobs.com

Disneyland2004
01-22-2005, 11:48 PM
here you go its the dlr jobline.... 1-800-766-0888