PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Disney - Do you like it as much as the parks?

jrsharp21
01-19-2005, 03:01 PM
What is everyone's thoughts on Downtown Disney? I are particularly like walking up and down DD. The best is watching people coming or going to the park with huge smiles on their faces. I also enjoy watching people dancing or enjoying themselves to the bands or musicians playing there. The best is when the salsa band plays in front of ESPN Zone and a huge crowd starts dancing. It is hilarious how many people are willing to "try to" dance in front of complete strangers. A good time is had by all. I also like walking through Downtown Disney late at night when not alot of people are around. Sitting near the water fountain and just taking in the scenery.

5hr drive
01-19-2005, 03:38 PM
I enjoy DD more when we are staying at one of the Disney resorts, as opposed to when we stay off-site. It's nice to be completely immersed in Disney all the way from your hotel room to the parks and back. My wife will tell you that she enjoys World of Disney as much as the parks, but I'm not willing to go that far...

CoasterChickie
01-19-2005, 03:54 PM
I love DTD for a lot of the same reasons as jrsharp21 and 5hour drive.

These are some other reasons....

I love that the atmoshpere and mood change throughout the day. In the morning it's bright and sunny, music is begiining to play, shops are beginning to open and people are begiining to arrive. Your backpack is loaded with your supplies for this day and there's this feeling of anticipation.

In the middle of the day, there are just so many different activities going on that it's really fun to people watch. I love to see the looks of joy on people's faces whether it's a young girl getting her hair braided with beads for the first time or two little toddlers who just built a bear or some giggly teenagers who just got one of those fake movie star photos done or whatever.

In the evening, I like the way the sun goes down and the lights start coming on. The music gets louder and everyone gets in a party mood. I LOVE the band in front of ESPN and that is one of the main reasons I like staying on the DTD side of the Sierra Tower. I can open the sliding door and listen to them play while I have a couple cosmos then go down and dance a little before heading into the park.

Also, on the last day when you're really dreading leaving, and you've already used up your park hopper it's one last Disney thing you can do to go in all the shops and get that one last souvenir.

DTD is great!!! :)

disney jones
01-19-2005, 03:56 PM
even when staying on property, we hardly spend much time there. it's hard enough to take time away from the parks to use the hotel pools. i enjoy walking through there and an occasional trip to WOD, but basically it's just a walk way for us. we have malls in Arizona and there's plenty of places in the parks to take my money. when we're there, we're there for one reason - DISNEYLAND! :)

Susan L
01-19-2005, 04:21 PM
What's not to love. DTD has great atmosphere, shopping, dinning, live music and the people daning to it.

Granted when it is crowded its not so great but, there are times during the week or early mornings its real nice just to take a nice walk around through it.

Disney Vault
01-19-2005, 04:40 PM
I love DTD and it really help make the place more of a resort. And Marcie at miboards.com said there are plans to expand DTD in the future. She seems to be very reliable.

Rae
01-19-2005, 04:52 PM
this feeling of anticipation.

In the middle of the day, there are just so many different activities going on that it's really fun to people watch. I love to see the looks of joy on people's faces whether it's a young girl getting her hair braided with beads for the first time or two little toddlers who just built a bear or some giggly teenagers who just got one of those fake movie star photos done or whatever.

Sorry to get of the track but where do you get your hair braided and does anyone know how much this costs? :D

Opus1guy
01-19-2005, 05:07 PM
I like Downtown Disney for all the reasons already mentioned here, plus one other:

It takes a lot of pressure off of Disneyland's restaurants at peak times.

pisces
01-19-2005, 05:10 PM
No, I don't like it. It is very sterile and generic. It doesn't have the charm and whimsy of Main Street or Hollywood Pictures Backlot. People smoke there, and the music is not consistent with Main Street's.

It really feels only like a corridor, or pass through, on your way to get to somewhere else. I always tried to avoid it as much as possible by cutting through the GC corridors (the special GC shortcut).......or going through the California Adventure. None of the stores there seem essential. There's nothing really quaint or charming.....unlike Knotts Berry Farm's shopping area, which has Virginia's Giftshop, the Bakery, and the Chicken Place------although Knotts isn't that spectacular either.

Maybe they don't want to make these "free" areas too too too nice, otherwise you'll not want to pay to enter the Park.

They need more to make it a total experience and intentional destination, rather than a pass-through. More fountains, better pavement----maybe a more jazzed up cobblestone, a moving walkway, and maybe a fake skyline.......to give it some ooomph.

SoCalDude
01-19-2005, 08:39 PM
DTD is a nice place - but do I like it as much as DL? You are kidding right? :p I much rather be on the matterhorn than in a mall.

rentayenta
01-19-2005, 09:23 PM
DTD is a nice place - but do I like it as much as DL? You are kidding right? :p I much rather be on the matterhorn than in a mall.

What he said :)

Ace
01-19-2005, 10:22 PM
It's kind of the place with food and a fountain that looks like a flower between DL, DCA, and the parking lots.

CoasterChickie
01-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Sorry to get of the track but where do you get your hair braided and does anyone know how much this costs? :D

If you're walking through DTD in the direction of the DLH, there's a small booth on the left hand side. I know that they charge you by the inch, but I'm not sure what the charge is. Sorry I don't have more info than that!!

I Heart Disneyland!
01-19-2005, 11:49 PM
It's fun to visit, for a little bit, but, I can never wait to get back inside DL! It's fun for lunch, or to shop at Sephora (hey ladies? ha!), but, I can go to a mall anywhere....when I am at DL, I want to stay at DL!

sdfilmcritic
01-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Yes, because I can eat there and I can watch a movie there and I can have beer there!

Oh! Almost forgot to add that I can go see concerts there, too! (The last concert I attended was at the HOB last August to see the hot little number seen in my avator performing with her fellow band members.)