PDA

View Full Version : Our Vacation Is Saved!

disneyhound
01-19-2005, 01:30 PM
For the last four years, my daughter and I have flown from Oregon to John Wayne for a 4-5 day Disney vacation. This year I booked 6 months in advance, getting a better discount from the airline! Turns out I booked our vacation during Finals week at my daughter's school... :eek:

I learned about my bone-head move after Christmas break when the new school schedule came out. Back when I booked the package, I decided to opt for the trip insurance, just in case. That was a waste; I called the insurance company after I discovered the problem and inquired about my options. According to the guy that answered the phone, short of hospitalization or maybe death, my policy did not cover a scheduling conflict cancellation.

So, I had a non-refundable, non-transferable $600 Hotel/Airfare vacation in jeopardy. So, I began e-mailing all my daughters teachers. At first I just floated the notion of a possible conflict, and then yesterday, I asked for help in shuffling things around so my daughter could take all her finals before we leave the morning of the 27th. To my delight, everyone sought alternatives to accommodate our vacation! :D

I just had to tell somebody. My daughter doesn't know yet. I can't talk to people at work about it, they think I am nuts for making this our 5th consecutive trip to DL in as many years. That is why I come to MousePlanet for my therapy... ;)

Now to my question, if anyone is still with me. How do we slow down when we get to DL. It is like we are in hyper-drive when we are there. Five days, and we still want to pack 36 hours into each day! I need some advice, and maybe some cool things we shouldn't miss as well!

the mad hatter
01-19-2005, 01:35 PM
It's always nice to take some time when you first get there to do absolutely nothing...sit in the spa or something. It's easy to get burned out when your trying to go a mile a minute.

Johnhost
01-19-2005, 01:55 PM
For the last four years, my daughter and I have flown from Oregon to John Wayne for a 4-5 day Disney vacation. This year I booked 6 months in advance, getting a better discount from the airline! Turns out I booked our vacation during Finals week at my daughter's school... :eek:

I learned about my bone-head move after Christmas break when the new school schedule came out. Back when I booked the package, I decided to opt for the trip insurance, just in case. That was a waste; I called the insurance company after I discovered the problem and inquired about my options. According to the guy that answered the phone, short of hospitalization or maybe death, my policy did not cover a scheduling conflict cancellation.

So, I had a non-refundable, non-transferable $600 Hotel/Airfare vacation in jeopardy. So, I began e-mailing all my daughters teachers. At first I just floated the notion of a possible conflict, and then yesterday, I asked for help in shuffling things around so my daughter could take all her finals before we leave the morning of the 27th. To my delight, everyone sought alternatives to accommodate our vacation! :D

I just had to tell somebody. My daughter doesn't know yet. I can't talk to people at work about it, they think I am nuts for making this our 5th consecutive trip to DL in as many years. That is why I come to MousePlanet for my therapy... ;)

Now to my question, if anyone is still with me. How do we slow down when we get to DL. It is like we are in hyper-drive when we are there. Five days, and we still want to pack 36 hours into each day! I need some advice, and maybe some cool things we shouldn't miss as well!

I work for Expedia.com and we get this issue all the time. I found that booking more then 21 days in advance isn't always needed except in cases of the Holidays. Most airlines give you the cheepest fare if you book around 21 days before. Also with Expedia you sometimes can buy special vacation airfare and buy a waiver. In those situations your airline, hotel and parkhoppers are 100% refundable even up until 2 days before your trip!

disneyhound
01-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks John, live and learn... We fly out of a small airport that is served by only one airline; so, the early flight is always sold out first, at times even a month in advance!

Johnhost
01-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks John, live and learn... We fly out of a small airport that is served by only one airline; so, the early flight is always sold out first, at times even a month in advance!

AH! makes sense. Well hope we can help you next time =)

disneyhound
01-19-2005, 03:06 PM
...Also with Expedia you sometimes can buy special vacation airfare and buy a waiver. In those situations your airline, hotel and parkhoppers are 100% refundable even up until 2 days before your trip!

After finding out how poor the vacation insurance policy I purchased is, I went to several different websites; there is a definate difference in the policies offered, it's in the fine print! ;)

Susan L
01-19-2005, 04:32 PM
It's always nice to take some time when you first get there to do absolutely nothing...sit in the spa or something. It's easy to get burned out when your trying to go a mile a minute.

I couldn't agree more with the mad hatter. Also make a day where you just do the sit down shows i.e. Aladdin, Snow White, Honey I shrunk the Audience, etc. We seem to always miss alot of the shows. So I decided this last trip because we were so tired and only made it to the Muppets and Snow White that on our next trip I would put aside one day just to do the shows.

You didn't say exactly when you were going to be there. If you are there when the park hours are reduced take advantage of that by using the pool or going to bed early.

disneyhound
01-19-2005, 05:19 PM
I couldn't agree more with the mad hatter. Also make a day where you just do the sit down shows i.e. Aladdin, Snow White, Honey I shrunk the Audience, etc. We seem to always miss alot of the shows. So I decided this last trip because we were so tired and only made it to the Muppets and Snow White that on our next trip I would put aside one day just to do the shows.

You didn't say exactly when you were going to be there. If you are there when the park hours are reduced take advantage of that by using the pool or going to bed early.

We are going to be in DL the 27th - 31st of this Month!!! Yahoooooo...

Thanks for the suggestion Susan; we also seem to miss a lot of the sit down shows/stuff. Sounds relaxing; my daughter is geared toward the thrill stuff.

Johnhost
01-19-2005, 06:27 PM
We are going to be in DL the 27th - 31st of this Month!!! Yahoooooo...

Thanks for the suggestion Susan; we also seem to miss a lot of the sit down shows/stuff. Sounds relaxing; my daughter is geared toward the thrill stuff.

Nice! I am going to DL on the 24th! I don't know if the weather will make it worth hitting the pool. But this is going to be a quick trip anyway.

I am staying at the Paradise Pier..$50.00 a night! wooot!

bassett1976
01-19-2005, 06:57 PM
I am staying at the Paradise Pier..$50.00 a night! wooot!

Can I ask where you got your price from???

bassett1976
01-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Johnhost, nevermind. I just noticed the other thread.

mrcoaster
01-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Wow - great story. Really nice that the teachers all worked something out for your daughter. My parents took me to the Bicentennial Celebration of the Battle of Yorktown (it was quite a big event) and the school fought like crazy - said it would be unexcused and they thought I might not recover from missing five days of school.

You definitely made the right call. Have a great trip.

disneyhound
01-20-2005, 05:52 AM
...Really nice that the teachers all worked something out for your daughter...

I agree, they really came through, one teacher suggested that she could even take her exam the following week. She said that is waht many students do who end up getting sick during finals time.

Only 7 days away!!!

rentayenta
01-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Have fun disneyhound! I also like to go at opening and stay until closing :D

On our last trip I discovered the Animation Studio- through a good friend of mine. I wish I would have been able to spend more time in there. Don't miss it; it's the best thing about DCA!

disneyhound
01-20-2005, 01:30 PM
...On our last trip I discovered the Animation Studio- through a good friend of mine... Don't miss it...

Definatley! I have been reading trips reports that speak very highly of it.

Since TOT will be new for us, we will stop into the Animation Studios whenever we get to that area in DCA. Last year we got a big teaser on TOT; Gallagher did a preview show in DCA, not much of one IMHO, they just lite up the outside of the tower.

I'm so excited, my belly button has been puckering and unpuckering all week! :eek: