PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland food

Pages : [1] 2

D-lander 1956
01-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Am I the only one who does not like DL food?? We go to DL often and just do not like any of the restaurant food. The burgers ALWAYS give us stomach aches and for the prices I just don't think any restaurant is worth writing home about. And, don't even get me started on the quality of Red Rockets pizza-YUK, tasteless cardboard! :(

Although, we love all the goodies DL has to offer, so we just end up snacking our way through the day or eat meals off property. I read of so many people who rave about the food and I just don't get it. Just curious, anyone else feel as I do? :confused:

izzysmom
01-19-2005, 10:56 AM
I am not a big fan of the food either. Usually we will go to Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast, Blue Bayou for lunch and we will do dinner in Downtown Disney...Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen is the best. We try to eat 2 meals in our hotel room to balance eating more pricey meals.

Bill Catherall
01-19-2005, 10:59 AM
I read of so many people who rave about the food and I just don't get it. Just curious, anyone else feel as I do? :confused:
They're probably not eating the hamburgers and pizza. ;)

I do agree with you on those two foods, but there really are better things to eat. I've found that lunch at some of the restaurants is a little too high priced for me, but dinner is pretty reasonable and very good at (some of my favorites) River Belle Terrace, French Market, Bleu Bayou, and Plaza Inn. And even though I'm not a huge fan of DCA, they do have some good lunch-time foods. I even like the burgers they have at Taste Pilot's Grill.

5hr drive
01-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Well, if your Disneyland dining is limited to burgers and Pizza Port pizza, I can see where you're coming from. I'd suggest broadening your scope. We all have different tastes, but here's a few items I have been known to dream about;
1. Aunt Polly's roast chicken from the Riverbelle Terrace
2. Pot roast at the Plaza Inn
3. Anything at Bengal barbecue
4. Breakfast at Carnation Cafe
5. DD? Try Tortilla Joe's or Napoli
6. GC? Storyteller's Cafe or Whitewater Snacks - you can't go wrong
I admit, when I start thinking about my next trip, half of my planning is What are we going to eat? The answer is never a burger or RRPP

millionairegirl
01-19-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm selective about food at the parks. I can't remember the last time I had a burger and fries in the park, but we do eat inside the parks fairly often. Our favorites are the bread bowls with chowder or salads, the fried chicken dinners from Plaza Inn or from the buffeteria in Fronteirland (River Belle?), the pasta dinners from Plaza Inn (although a lot of people don't care for it), and Blue Bayou but lunch only. We still sometimes get stinkers (like stale bread bowls), but overall we have positive experiences.

We also eat in Downtown Disney and the hotels. And have had mostly positive experiences.

Earkid
01-19-2005, 11:03 AM
I don't think anybody likes ALL of the food at DL but I do have my favorites.

The salads and pasta (chicken fuscili) at Redd Rockets, and especially the corn dogs from the Red Wagon at the hub, are a few of my favorites.

I could do without any of the burgers or chili fries stuff.

5hr drive
01-19-2005, 11:06 AM
OK, thanks a lot. Now I can't stop thinking about that pot roast!!

Johnhost
01-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Personally I love the mexican resturaunt. It used to be called Casa Mexicana.

I havn't tried downtown Disney but I hear it's pretty good. I am going to eat at Blue Bieu this next Monday so I will let you know.

sami869
01-19-2005, 01:26 PM
We love the mexican restaurant, vegitarian gumbo, vegiburgers from the hungry bear, most of the pasta that we've eaten there and so on.

lisap
01-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Personally I love the mexican resturaunt. It used to be called Casa Mexicana.

Rancho Del Zocalo. I like it too. :)

Part of the attraction of the food at DL is the nostalgia factor. You know the corndog cart will be there and what they will taste like. Same with churros, fried chicken at the French Market, chowder bowls, etc. etc. It's not that they are the greatest foods on the planet, but you associate them with happy memories, so they are special.

CarlieB
01-19-2005, 01:36 PM
We tend to eat quite a bit at DTD - we mostly eat dinner there, and some of the breakfasts we have are there too (Uva Bar has a nice breakfast menu, for example).

QueenAlisha
01-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Corn Dogs at Disneyland are the best! we had Breakfast at carnation cafe last time and it was great, we also went back for "Dinner" which we ended up having a bananna split, it was soo big! we snack alot at the parks too, but its vacation who cares and all the walking counter acts the calories....yeah that it.

dlandnut
01-19-2005, 01:51 PM
The corn dogs in CA are to die for. I'm an anxiously awaiting the turkey legs when I go to DL in June. I, too, plan not only for the DL and CA experience, but for the food experience as well! Woe is me, I love to eat. Luckily, I've kept my weight down by walking, walking, walking. It's saved me from having to shop at AAA Tent and Awning, lol. :)

orangechicken
01-19-2005, 01:59 PM
I personally love all the food in DL. I think that's just part of the experience for me (I maybe go once every 3 to 5 years) so I enjoy spending $7 for a greasy hot dog that I'll work off with all the walking. I LOVE food, almost obsessed with it, so I guess I have a bit of a biased opinion. Here's my list off all time favorite foods:
- Criss-cut Fries at DCA
- I just love hot dogs and fries, don't know why, but I do
- Fried Chicken Dinners at French Market
- Pineapple Spears (VERY very good and inexpensive too!)
- BBQ Skewers at Bengal BBQ
- They used to have an amazing brownie sundae at Golden Horseshoe, mmm...brownies

Just remember that not everything can be magical :D

jon80flt
01-19-2005, 02:53 PM
[Homer on]

MMMmmmm.... Smoked Turkey Drumstick...... :rolleyes:

[Homer off]

disneyhound
01-19-2005, 03:16 PM
[Homer on]

MMMmmmm.... Smoked Turkey Drumstick...... :rolleyes:

[Homer off]

Homer still on... Mmmmmm, must have, where do I go, turkey, aahhhhh...

5hr drive
01-19-2005, 03:33 PM
It's not that they are the greatest foods on the planet, but you associate them with happy memories, so they are special.[/QUOTE]

That's it exactly. It's like if I had a Bengal barbecue down the street from my house, it wouldn't be all that special, it's special because of where it is and what it adds to Adventureland. And since I can only eat there every couple of months (more since BBQ was in rehab during my last 3 trips) it gives me more time to anticipate how good it's going to be when I finally get there.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-19-2005, 03:37 PM
The Plaza Inn's chicken dinner is some of the best chicken I've had anywhere (no, it doesn't taste "just like mopane worms"), and (at least with the all-white-meat option) the portion size is HUGE.

I also rather like the prime rib dinner at the Blue Bayou.

Usually, the only time I'm at DL at lunchtime is a very late lunch following (and included in the price of) my annual Walt's Footsteps tour. I opt for the turkey sandwich, completely plain, and it's superb. As I recall, the Tomorrowland Terrace has some pretty decent chicken (although not nearly as good as the Plaza Inn).

What I really miss are the yellow-gravy hot turkey sandwiches at the French Market. These days, about the only place I know of to get a proper yellow-gravy hot turkey sandwich is at Dick Church's, in Costa Mesa, and theirs are usually a tad bland, requiring a generous sprinkling of pepper before they taste right.

I also really miss the Soap Opera Bistro (I got the schtick even though I'm the farthest thing you can imagine to a soap opera fan).

Incidentally, I think Ralph Brennan's is very nearly the only establishment at DTD where I found the menu appetizing. Although I do vaguely remember a late-night sandwich at the La Brea Bakery.

I can't recall the last time I've had a hamburger at DL, but the hamburgers at Pecos Bills, in WDW-MK seem decent enough (and they have a rather nice condiment bar, with grilled onions). And speaking of WDW-MK, I usually make it to Cosmic Ray's for the chicken, Cinderella's for the prime rib, the Plaza Restaurant for the Philadelphia steak sandwich, and the Liberty Tree for the character dinner.

CoasterChickie
01-19-2005, 04:07 PM
With the exception of a few places I think most of the food at the DLR is over-rated , over=priced and way too salty. But like someone said...it's the fact that you're eating it at DL that makes it soooooo good!!! :)

Deogge's Mom
01-19-2005, 04:10 PM
I go to Blue Bayou for lunch, I don't think I've ever had anything bad there. :) :)

I like the tacos at Cocina Cucomonga at DCA. The beans and chips aren't that great :rolleyes: , but the tacos are really good :) .

Storyteller's Cafe at GC is fanastic.

My mom still raves about Hook's Point at DH (a little pricey, but well worth it).

I haven't tried White Water Snacks at GC yet. I will on my next trip. ;)

Flint
01-19-2005, 04:22 PM
I agree with several other posters here... I don't go to the most magical place in the world to eat burgers, fries, or pizza. Live a little! Just because Walt's park is designed for the "young and young at heart" doesn't mean you have to have the palate of a 5 year old.

RobRoz
01-19-2005, 04:23 PM
love the Blue B. for lunch

and the rest of the day just pick around :~D

CoasterChickie
01-19-2005, 04:25 PM
I forgot about Hook's Point....definitely one of the best restaurants I've eaten at in DLR. The wine selection is good and the seafood and salad are great!

jon80flt
01-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Homer still on... Mmmmmm, must have, where do I go, turkey, aahhhhh...

There are two Turkey Drumstick Carts I know of... one in front of Big Thunder Mountian RR, and the other in front of Muppets in DCA....MMMmmm, GOOOOD EATIN' :fez:

I REALLY miss the Mickey Mouse Pancakes at River Belle Cafe...those were an integral part of my Disneyland childhood!

pisces
01-19-2005, 05:25 PM
The Plaza Inn has fried chicken? Now you tell me. I thought it was only the French Quarter that had it.

I'm not wild about any of Disney's food, with the exception of Storytellers Dinner, and that is very expensive.

SOME FOODS I ENDED UP DISLIKING INTENSELY: Tried the Monte Cristo, found that weird and it didn't fill me up....at least not for the whole day. Tried the fried cheesecake. It's just cheesecake with a fried crust...nothing special. The Blue Ribbon bakery's smoked ham sandwich was not great, and even though Whitewater Snacks gives you large portions.......and their fries are good.....it's still just burgers and fries and not anything special to me.

I didn't think my two meals that I took at Blue Bayou measured up. The portions were very small there considering their prices.

I think everyone agrees that Knotts Berry Farm has better food.

But, in terms of atmosphere, the Blue Bayou, French Quarter, Storytellers and Goofys really deliver, if you are willing to pay the high prices.

I would do Goofys dinner again, just for the atmosphere. And, of course Storytellers Dinner. But, I don't think anywhere else is on my essential list. I already visited Blue Bayou twice, and both times, I ended up being hungry later that day. I've done French Quarter, and that doesn't really suffice as one meal for the day.

Goofys and Storytellers dinners were the only meals that actually filled me up for the whole day and allowed me to get away with just that one meal.

Their prices are just outrageous though.

Mrs. Knotts fried chicken is simply the best....also their Farm Bakery outdoes anything at the Blue Ribbon.