PDA

View Full Version : New Splash Mtn Logs

Pages : [1] 2

JPIVERSON
01-19-2005, 08:31 AM
Did anyone else see Al's column today showing the picture of the new seating arrangement in the Splash Mountain logs they were testing? What's up with that? :eek:

HorizonsA
01-19-2005, 08:34 AM
Looks interesting. They're trying out a Rocket Rod type seating arrangment:

Single, Single, Single, Single, Double.

the mad hatter
01-19-2005, 08:51 AM
I don't think the picture does it justice, because they had to organize the dummies to balance the weight. i heard some people asking if they were sitting sideways, i don't think thats the case.

JPIVERSON
01-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Do you think the rear seat would really be large enough for 2 people? Or would it be for larger people?

the mad hatter
01-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Do you think the rear seat would really be large enough for 2 people? Or would it be for larger people?

or what about 2 larger people?? so many questions....so little answers.

5hr drive
01-19-2005, 10:22 AM
The way they have the sides scalloped out, it sure looks like there's room for two in the back. You know, that's the way the logs are configured at WDW, side-by-side seating. Can't wait to try it!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Link to the photo please!!

the mad hatter
01-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Link to the photo please!!

http://miceage.skyfirehosting.com/al011805pics/al011805n.jpg

Corwin17
01-19-2005, 11:51 AM
You've got to be kidding me! Does he *REALLY* believe that this is the new seating configuration?!?!

I can just see it now
Carefully step into and sit in our redesigned logs. Those in the back will be able to see the whole attraction, while those in the forward section will only be able to see half of it.

Those things roped in the log are fillable ballast. Period. So as not to move, they are placed against one side of the log, and secured. They are alternated so as to keep balance. Period.

You will not (cannot, really) sit sideways on the ride. Does he really think guests would pay money for final drop photos of the side of their head? HA!

On a more constructive note, I'd say that I'd appreciate the back seat ... I'm a big guy, and the old logs gave me cramps in the hips to squeeze in there. :fez:

AVP
01-19-2005, 12:26 PM
You've got to be kidding me! Does he *REALLY* believe that this is the new seating configuration?!?!I don't think anyone is saying that the front four passengers sit sideways. The question is - is that back seat designed for one, or for two?

I'm guessing one - the log isn't any wider, but it looks like the sides have been cut out to allow more hip room.

AVP

Corwin17
01-19-2005, 12:49 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that the front four passengers sit sideways.Agreed. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that any MP readers would say/think such a thing.

My comments were in response to the original article where the photo resides. In there is the comment about supposed new seating arragements. :rolleyes:

Mea culpa.

As for the back seat ... since the log really aint wider (apparently, but still could be a little bit) I'd have to say that 2 ballasts are there to simulate the larger weight. If you notice, it looks like those ballasts would barely fit into a coach airline seat, so I don't think 2 (even normal sized) adults could fit side/side.

DCAWhites
01-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Even if it cant fit two adults, it will certaintly benefit children who meet the height requirement but who dont want to sit on their own, but rather side by side with their parent. I'd imagine two real small people could sit there too. Could also possibly make it easier and faster to load disabled guests.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-19-2005, 01:38 PM
I would rather have it this way, with the possibility of sitting next to my son in the back, easier to hold on to him.
Have to be stupid to think people would be sitting sideways! LOL

Johnhost
01-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Did anyone else see Al's column today showing the picture of the new seating arrangement in the Splash Mountain logs they were testing? What's up with that? :eek:

Will they keep the single rider line?

QueenAlisha
01-19-2005, 01:45 PM
A little Off topic but HOW COME NOONE hAS TOLD ME ABOUT SINGLE RIDER BEFORE?!?!?! i didnt know about this until a CM said something about it last visit. Hello to riding rides 3 times in a row with no wait....Back the the logs...

disneynut
01-19-2005, 01:59 PM
I would rather have it this way, with the possibility of sitting next to my son in the back, easier to hold on to him.
Have to be stupid to think people would be sitting sideways! LOL

I'm really hoping that is what it is. My 4 y/o has no problem going on it and sitting by herself but likes me to lean forward with my arms wrapped around her like we used to sit. Having her sit next to me in the back would save a lot of bumped chins.:D

olegc
01-19-2005, 09:08 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that the front four passengers sit sideways. The question is - is that back seat designed for one, or for two?

I'm guessing one - the log isn't any wider, but it looks like the sides have been cut out to allow more hip room.

AVP

I disagree- why bother carving out the log unless you planned on altering the seating arrangement for two people.

My opinion - the 5 seat-log was creating so much havoc with the line they had to do something. The only way to make an 8 person log fit would be to enlargen the flume - so, make a compromise to help the line and not incur a huge cost increase in a rehab.

I thought it was interesting that it looks like the seat backs were pulled out...

SoCalDude
01-19-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that the front four passengers sit sideways. The question is - is that back seat designed for one, or for two?

AVP

The way he worded it was kinda odd to say the least. I am sure somebody is going to look at the picture and look at the quote and somehow think guests will be sitting sideways.

Anyway - I did not like how the logs were, and I do not like these either - in fact these look much worse than how they were. For me, this looks like the worst possible seating design they could have possibly come up with.

Fozzie
01-19-2005, 10:46 PM
A little Off topic but HOW COME NOONE hAS TOLD ME ABOUT SINGLE RIDER BEFORE?!?!?! i didnt know about this until a CM said something about it last visit. Hello to riding rides 3 times in a row with no wait....Back the the logs...

Where is the single rider line? :confused:

SoCalDude
01-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Where is the single rider line? :confused:

you go thru the exit.

got2travel
01-20-2005, 07:41 AM
I saw these being tested this weekend and thought the arrangement looked strange. I didn't realize the seats were placed sideways until I saw the picture though.

the mad hatter
01-20-2005, 08:27 AM
I saw these being tested this weekend and thought the arrangement looked strange. I didn't realize the seats were placed sideways until I saw the picture though.

The seats aren't sideways. They just had to balance the weight of the dummies.

Corwin17
01-20-2005, 08:56 AM
I saw these being tested this weekend and thought the arrangement looked strange. I didn't realize the seats were placed sideways until I saw the picture though.Look at the picture again. The ballasts are *NOT* in seats.

Also, reread (read?) my first post in this thread. I think it explains the photo.

An additional argument for this *NOT* being the seating arrangement, is safety! The forces involved in an attraction like this would cause the natural reaction in a rider to twist/bend sideways (e.g., when going down a drop, people tendency is to 'lean' in the direction of the drop to absorb some of themomentum). This would be unsafe at any speed!

disneyhound
01-20-2005, 09:07 AM
...Have to be stupid to think people would be sitting sideways! LOL

Could this be a new "goat trick"? Sit sideways on the way down the big drop! :D

danyoung
01-20-2005, 09:50 AM
My comments were in response to the original article where the photo resides. In there is the comment about supposed new seating arragements. :rolleyes:

Al's text was "The picture tells the story. They were testing a few logs on Splash this Sunday, note the new rider configuration." At first glance you might think that there was sideways seating. But on further study it's obvious that the new seating referred to the double seat in the back. Al never said in any way that there would be sideways seating.