PDA

View Full Version : Marching Band!

MarkVI
01-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Tomorrow I'm going with my band to Disneyland to march. There aren't any parades, just us at 12:00 pm. This is my fourth and last Disney parade I've been in. I get out of school AND I'm at Disneyland, what could be better? It's lots of fun and I can't wait!!

disneyguy247
01-17-2005, 09:37 PM
cool!
i wish my marching band was good enough to march @ dland.
however we did place first at a scsboa parade in san diego this past weekend

CoasterChickie
01-17-2005, 11:04 PM
That sounds great! What instrument do you play?

MarkVI
01-20-2005, 08:25 PM
I play the Clarinet and I'm currently the section leader.
Go SCSBOA!!!
Congrats, what band are you in? Which division?
We're not really a parade band. We just did this and our city holiday parade and that was it. With that, my last marching season comes to an end... :( It was fun while it lasted :D

disneyguy247
01-20-2005, 10:09 PM
i play clarinet as well at beckman hs in irvine. we are brand new, the school opened this year. ummm..........i beleive we are division 3, but we have only freshman-sophmore.

dlandnut
01-21-2005, 07:13 AM
I have been twice with our Marching Band (from UT) as a Chaperone. What a wonderful experience for you! Enjoy it and have a great time. FYI, our band marched yesterday in the Presidential Inaugural Parade. My son was there. I'm so proud. He also plays the clarinet. Have a great time and be prepared to play your heart out. :)

Tambour
01-21-2005, 02:57 PM
dlandnut - your kids must be from AF high school. It's a great band program.
I came through that brown and gold school up north and competed agains them :-)

dlandnut
04-04-2006, 12:23 PM
dlandnut - your kids must be from AF high school. It's a great band program.
I came through that brown and gold school up north and competed agains them :-)

Davis HS also has a great band program. Does anyone know if DL still has "magic music days" or something similar where marching bands from a variety of schools spend time at DL? :)

MamaD
04-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Wow, this brings back memories. I marched all 4 years with my high school band, we did Disneyland every year. My senior year ('86-'87), I was drum major, we came in by IASW, where Toontown is now. We marched up Main Street, around to the top of the hub, then played a couple of songs while facing the train station. We went on around, and out next to the fire station... Mom has pics somewhere, someday I'll borrow them and get them scanned...

Does anyone know if DL still does the Summer College Band program? My sister did it one year, it was a great experience!

THpoohbear
04-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Davis HS also has a great band program. Does anyone know if DL still has "magic music days" or something similar where marching bands from a variety of schools spend time at DL? :)

Yes, they still do Magic Music Days. In fact, they are happening now. I saw a couple groups perform on Sunday afternoon (4/2/06).

PirateSmile
04-04-2006, 02:06 PM
You get to march? Dang, all we get to do is sit in that little theater by the castle. Congratulations!! :D

Tambour
04-04-2006, 05:07 PM
http://disneylandmagicmusicdays.com/home.html

TTFN92
04-04-2006, 08:20 PM
That makes me jealous! We were supposed to go to DL my senior year ('90, in AZ) but too many people couldn't go. I was sooo disappointed. It was my dream to play at Dis. I also play clarinet and am still playing at our community college. Have fun and show pride in your band!

Trumpeteer
04-06-2006, 11:38 AM
What perks do they give high school musicians these days? My first times marching in the mid 80's we used to get to go into the park for free that day and we got a free pass to come back on another day. By the late 80's they had cut back to just allowing us in for free that day. I had later heard rumors that musicians were no longer allowed in for free, but they got a discount coupon good for park admission. Part of the rumor was that because chaperones were allowed in for free too, too many schools were trying to get too many adults in as chapreones, so Disney was limiting the benefits.

My senior year ('86-'87)
My senior year too!

SoCalTinkerbelle
04-06-2006, 01:10 PM
I marched too! I graduated high school in 2001 and we marched every year 97-01. And I think they still go every year. I played clarinet/bass clarinet also :) The last year I marched we went in behind toon town to warm up, then walked all the way around to main street, came out right at the front of main street and marched all the way back to toon town. It rained almost every year, as our trips were in February. Definetly a fun experience!

MamaD
04-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Part of the rumor was that because chaperones were allowed in for free too, too many schools were trying to get too many adults in as chapreones, so Disney was limiting the benefits.
I went in '88 (my sister's senior year), but Mom and I paid to get in.

My senior year too!
Where'd you go to school? I graduated from West High, in Torrance.

AVP
04-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Wow, this brings back memories. I marched all 4 years with my high school band, we did Disneyland every year. My senior year ('86-'87), I was drum major, we came in by IASW, where Toontown is now. We marched up Main Street, around to the top of the hub, then played a couple of songs while facing the train station. We went on around, and out next to the fire station... I marched at Disneyland the year after you. We didn't get to do a Main Street set, but I think I still have the blisters from the Main Street / ISAW march. (I SHOULD NOT have tried to break in new shoes that day!)

AVP
Corona Sr. High Drum Major

adriennek
04-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Where'd you go to school? I graduated from West High, in Torrance.

RHHS, 1988. If you went to West, you know what RHHS is was. ;) My cousin's aunt worked at West for years. Actually, you may have known my cousin's cousins....

Adrienne

MamaD
04-07-2006, 06:41 AM
RHHS, 1988. If you went to West, you know what RHHS is was. ;) My cousin's aunt worked at West for years. Actually, you may have known my cousin's cousins....
Oh my gosh, we were neighbors!!! (My first impulse was to say that wow, it is a small world, then I realized what message board I was at...)

dac1997
04-08-2006, 01:20 PM
To answer MamaD's questiosn...yes they do still have the All American College Band. I auditioned this year but didn't make it. :crying: Oh well, Disneyland is still the best. And by the way, I graduated from Rubidoux HS in Riverside (93-97). Since everyone seems ti be sharing.