PDA

View Full Version : When is Easter Vacation in CA?

MrsPooh
01-17-2005, 09:36 PM
I just heard that Easter vacation week in California is the week before Easter. Is that true? In Reno it is the week after Easter.

We are trying to figure when is the best time to go this year, and it would be great to go when Piglet is out of school. If Easter week is different from us that it is for Californians then I am guessing the crowds will be less.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Darkbeer
01-17-2005, 09:42 PM
There are MANY different times that schools near the SoCal area take off for Easter Break..

Looking at the Disneyland calendar...

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/monthly/monthly?date=20050301&name=CalendarMonthlyPage

Peak season will be March 17th thru April 3rd, but the week before (March 14th) has an extra hour added for Disneyland, so Disney does expect higher than normal crowds...

But the week or 2 prior to that, or the week or two after that could also be busier than normal, more schools (K-12), colleges and universities are switching from following Easter (which changes every year, as early as mid-March, or as late as mid-April) to finding a time that gives a "natural" break to the semester they are teaching....

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-17-2005, 09:58 PM
AZ has spring break the week starting the 14th, as does MT. But I am sure there will be many AZ families headed over that week. Including us, we are an ID family, wintering in AZ.

MrsPooh
01-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Darnit, I was hoping there was a simpler answer than that! :mad: Thanks for the info guys!

Me, I never worry about peak or off peak times (except Christmas & New Years. WHOA! :eek: ) We are pretty good at navigating the park, I can't think of any time except Christmas where we have been swayed by the crowds. We just go with the flow and have a great time.

This time, however, we want to take my father who is not in the best of health. The crowds would deter him. He has been one of those kind who think one trip to DL in a lifetime is enough! We want to show him otherwise, and mom wants to get him on Soarin.

We would like an out of school time, but would deal with it if need be.

We are thinking of getting him one of those motorized scooters and going for it! :)

CoasterChickie
01-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Darnit, I was hoping there was a simpler answer than that! :mad: Thanks for the info guys!

Yeah, tell me about it. My high schoolers get the week before Easter off and my other two get the week after Easter off. I always pull the two older ones out of school that week , but this year I'm not gonna do it because it was just too crowded at DL during spring break. Have you thought about going a little sooner, like March 10-14? ;)

P.S. I think the motorized scooter is a really good idea!

Family5LovesDisney
01-18-2005, 03:30 AM
AZ has spring break the week starting the 14th, as does MT. But I am sure there will be many AZ families headed over that week. Including us, we are an ID family, wintering in AZ.
We are arriving on the 14th and we were hoping that it wouldn't be too crowded. Oh well. We will be in the parks on the 15, 16, and 17th and leaving on the 18th. At least we have three days to see it all.

disneyhound
01-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Check this site out MrsPooh:

www.lausd.k12.ca.us/

You can view the official school calendars for the LA district schools...

mad4mky
01-18-2005, 08:18 AM
It really doesn't matter if you only find out the So Cal kids...because people from Nor. Cal go down too... :rolleyes:

My girls have the week AFTER Easter off.

You're best bet. Choose a week and go. You can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out "if" it will be crowded or not.
My girls even have a 'Winter Break' week off as well as Easter...and I know 3 families who are headed to DL that week as well.

Good luck on the week your choose to go though. You'll have a good time no matter what! :D

Susan L
01-18-2005, 08:32 AM
It depends on the school district. My sister's kids and mine have the same school calendar and this year spring break starts the monday after Easter so March 28th through April 1st. I live in No CA and my sister lives in So CA.

disneyhound
01-18-2005, 08:57 AM
It really doesn't matter if you only find out the So Cal kids...because people from Nor. Cal go down too... :rolleyes:

True, True, but the last minute locals are less likely to be at DL if their kids are in school...

mad4mky
01-18-2005, 10:09 AM
True, True, but the last minute locals are less likely to be at DL if their kids are in school...

Um...I'm not so sure about that. If I lived locally, and if my girls were in school...I would hop over to DL for the day. I enjoy going without my girls sometimes. :)

Hawaiian Cinderella
01-18-2005, 10:39 AM
In hawaii some of us have spring break the week before easter and some have it the week before and after...depending if it's a year round or traditional calendar....anyhow....i know of several families, INCLUDING US who will be making it down to disneyland during that time...CAN'T WAIT.. :D ...we're bracing ourselves for the crowds....last year we went the last full week of march (2 weeks before easter) and the washington and canada visitors were on spring break too...it was crowded but bearable..they extended the park closing time to 10:00 every night.

evrythngwmn
01-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Across the country now Spring breaks are held during several different weeks from March to April. Gone are the days of the traditional week before Easter/week after Easter.

This will be my fourth Spring working for the DLR and it is increasingly busy from March until about mid April. It is particularly busy the weeks before and after Easter as these are the official designated peak periods set by DLR.

rentayenta
01-18-2005, 11:07 AM
In Utah our Spring Break is really late this year. April 18. I wish we could visit for the week.

MrsPooh
01-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Yeah, tell me about it. My high schoolers get the week before Easter off and my other two get the week after Easter off. I always pull the two older ones out of school that week , but this year I'm not gonna do it because it was just too crowded at DL during spring break. Have you thought about going a little sooner, like March 10-14? ;)

P.S. I think the motorized scooter is a really good idea!

You know, we haven't thought about when we want to go, just before it gets too hot, and I don't want massive crowds. I am afraid if it is too crowded dad will want to go back to the hotel and let us go on without him.

Maybe I will just have to pull Piglet out of school. I mean, unless your kids are on a year round program EVERYONE will be out for Spring break, Summer, and Christmas vac. Ticks me off that the whole parenting world is stuck to these times unless they want to pull their kids out of school.