PDA

View Full Version : Something nice happened at DL

Lost Boy
12-12-2001, 09:08 PM
This last weekend I took advantage of the special two park in two days $49 special. I stayed over at the local Super 8 motel and took in DCA on Saturday and Disneyland on Sunday. It was Sunday afternoon that this magical moment happened.
I was walking down Main Street heading toward the Castle when I took a turn down Center Street toward the Carnation Ice Cream spot next to the lockers when I spotted a Security Officer with several people around him. I recognized him as the Captain of the Flag Retreat group. The people around him had given him a package and he was opening it. It was a huge woven comforter made with the image of the American Flag on it. I walked over and stood there watching and listening. I knew the officer from seeing him at the Park for many years. His name is Ernie on his name tag and he has been there for over 10 years doing the Flag Retreat. Seems these people were at the Park this past October and had their belonging stolen just before the Park closed. They went searching for a Security Officer and found Ernie and he helped them stay after hours and searched all over for the missing items which included a video camera with video of their nine month old boys first visit to Disneyland. After a couple of hours they could find nothing but at least Ernie tried. I kind of joined in the conversation and offered to take their picture with Ernie and they insisted on taking a picture of the family and me with Ernie. We exchanged names and addresses and I already have recieved a post card from Disneyland from the family. And they promised to send me a copy of the picture of me with the group. I was really impressed with the way Ernie (his real full name is Ernest, but the name tag says Ernie) handled this whole thing. He was very moved and was in tears at the present this family brought for him. Being an Ex-Marine and being the Captain in charge of the Flag Retreat, this was the perfect gift of thanks for him. I have seen him before, but now I have met him and was able to shake his hand and compliment him on a job that he does so well. So the next time you are at Disneyland, watch for Ernie, you can't miss him, and go up and talk to him. He is very nice and welcomes friendly conversation as long as he isn't busy doing his job. Tell him Bruce from the Flag comforter day said to say hi.

Morrigoon
12-12-2001, 11:19 PM
What a nice story :)

Hey, did you give him a compliment at City Hall ever?

mad4mky
12-13-2001, 09:43 AM
That is nice. Arn't you glad you went to the park that particular day. And, its nice that people do appreciate other people's help and concern. Too often in our busy days, we forget to thank people who help us out.

Maleficent0
12-13-2001, 11:00 AM
er, um, I'm kind of required to let you know that there is no such thing as an "ex-Marine." :P "Former Marine" is the preferred term. :) Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Great story, and I certainly hope that I run into him one day so I can also tell him what a marvelous job he does!

Semper Fidelis

Gemini Cricket
12-13-2001, 02:16 PM
That is a great story. It's amazing when special things happen @ DL or anywhere. Whenever I see something special like that @ DL, I try to pass it on as much as I can. That is, if I'm not being a horrid grouchthat day...

I think complimenting him @ the City Hall is a great idea.

:)

Lost Boy
12-13-2001, 07:12 PM
Of course City Hall was on the menu a long time ago and again this weekend. He is very will known at the park and very much liked by just about everybody that meets him.

PinkFloyd
12-14-2001, 07:52 AM
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story (as I'm wiping away tears as I type)

Ace
12-15-2001, 10:22 PM
must...remember.........name........in.....order.. .....to......shake.....hand.......on.......next... visit