PDA

View Full Version : Finally Going! Question on Crowds

Lekta
01-15-2005, 09:12 PM
My wife and I finally decided to go to DLR with another couple to help save money (and believe me, with 4 paying instead of 2, it is much better). We are driving down from Portland, so, with gas factored in.. we will all only have to pay about $280 per person for gas, hotel (HoJo), and tickets. Not too shabby.

I can never remember the schedule for LA area spring break, or any other spring break for that matter. I just want to be sure it is not super packed when we go. We were think of April 3-8th. Can any of you experts recall an event that might cause the park to be busier then normal during that time? If so, any suggestions around those dates to reschedule to? It wouldn't be a issue to reschedule, we just have to decide soon.

Thank you all kindly and have a Magical DAY!

bassett1976
01-15-2005, 09:33 PM
April 3-8 is right around the time of spring break. Since we have some many schools in the area the school districs scatter the spring break schedule. I know that most schools go the week before or after Easter but some have a different schedule.

With that said, You could very possibly run into some schools being on spring break.

SCUBAbe
01-15-2005, 09:37 PM
I know my childs spring break is 4/4-4/8...

Susan L
01-15-2005, 09:42 PM
For us spring break usually begins the week before Easter Sunday or the week after Easter Sunday. Yes, it does depends on the school districts. My sister and her family lives in Lake Forest about 20 minutes from Disneyland and we live in No Eastern CA but our kids have the same school schedules. But, that doesn't mean that all schools have the same schedules. There are al ot of schools in CA that go all year round and they don't have the old traditional calendar year that the other schools have.

Disneyfreak
01-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Spring break is one of the busiest times during the year.
These are the times that the park are busy:

Valentines Day
Spring Break
Summer
November-December
Busiest day of the year: New Years Eve

Most holidays and off times are packed.

sediment
01-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Just took a quick check of Spring Breaks in LAUSD: they're all over the place. Doesn't seem to be a Unified calendar. And, there are year-round schools, most of which will schedule a break around Easter.
This is FAQ #9 in my sig.

Lekta
01-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Where did you check on the LAUSD? Is it a site? Would be great to look at. There should be a website that graphs the attendence per month, per day. I'm sure that DL has this information, perhaps even publicly?

What do you suggest I do? Move the trip further into April, getting dangerously close to the May celebration, or try to move it back into March, which gets it closer to the week before and after Easter. That seems to be the most popular response to when spring break is. Darnit, I wanted to try to avoid the crowds this time.. we never do a good job with that....

Thank you all kindly!

evrythngwmn
01-16-2005, 02:50 AM
I'd go more towards the end of April. March gets a lot of out state visitors on Spring Break.

rentayenta
01-16-2005, 03:13 AM
I am helping my friend plan her trip. She is going April 5-9. It is considered peak season so I am guessing it will be packed.

You will still have a great time. Get to the parks before opening, break mid-afternoon, and return for/after dinner.

I am glad that you have decided to go. Have a magical trip!

SarahJanet
01-16-2005, 10:34 AM
The park is open 9AM to 8PM that week, which strikes me as a good sign that they're expecting it to be significantly less busy than the two weeks around Easter, when they're open 8am-midnight every day.

Lekta
01-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Just took a quick check of Spring Breaks in LAUSD: they're all over the place. Doesn't seem to be a Unified calendar. And, there are year-round schools, most of which will schedule a break around Easter.
This is FAQ #9 in my sig.

K, I think we have decided to move the vacation to April 10-15. The park is only open until 8pm, so I would assume they are basing that upon previous years crowds, and it will be less crowded. Does anyone know of any event that may cause crowds in large numbers that week?

Thank you all kindly!

disney jones
01-16-2005, 11:24 AM
remember the good ol' days, when Spring Break was called "Easter Week", and it was always the week between Palm Sunday and Resurrection Sunday?

it was much easier then.

sediment
01-16-2005, 12:00 PM
1. Where did you check on the LAUSD?
2. Is it a site?
3. There should be a website that graphs the attendence per month, per day. I'm sure that DL has this information, perhaps even publicly?

4. What do you suggest I do? Move the trip further into April, getting dangerously close to the May celebration, or try to move it back into March, which gets it closer to the week before and after Easter. That seems to be the most popular response to when spring break is. Darnit, I wanted to try to avoid the crowds this time.. we never do a good job with that....

Thank you all kindly!
1. I Yahoo!ed "LAUSD Spring break 2005" and found a number of websites, each for a different school. And many of the spring breaks listed were different.
2. I couldn't find a main site for all of LAUSD.
3. There is, but it hasn't been updated, and since Easter/Spring Break changes each year, it might not be easy to predict for a specific year.
4. Further into April. 5/5/05 (a whole lot of people visiting after, not too many visiting before) will not have the same pattern as Easter (building like a hill, somewhat equal on both sides).

Lastly, DL hours for that week are deterimed both by years of historical patterns (not just one) AND where Easter is. Last year Easter was 4/11. Last year the week you're planning to go this year would have been very crowded and open late.
Do note that its early closing tells me that it's not going to be very busy. (If the closing time changes, be prepared.)

Leap for Joy
01-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Will they have Fantasmic! on the nights they close at 8? Missing that would be a bummer!

Disneyfreak
01-16-2005, 01:52 PM
I would recommend going on a weekday after the may 5th celebration. This way you can experience the new attractions and get a minimal crowd. Just dont visit on the weekend and you will be fine.

sediment
01-16-2005, 07:34 PM
During the week: probably not. This ain't MGM @ WDW.

Lekta
01-16-2005, 09:10 PM
What exactly are the "new" attractions going in on the 5th? Do we know for sure?

Disneyfreak
01-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Buzz Lightyear Ranger Spin, Remember Fireworks show, new parade, walts exhibit will be open. So quite a bit.

AB29
01-17-2005, 12:41 AM
don't forget...park hours are always subject to change...depending on the crowds

and.....don't forget....during May and early June...grad Nites are some Wednesdays...and every Thursday

Lekta
01-17-2005, 08:34 AM
Do you think that May 14 would be a better day to begin the vacation. It is my and my wifes anniversary, so it would make some sense. However, if the crowds carry over from the 50th celebration, we wouldn't do it.

bassett1976
01-17-2005, 08:44 AM
Lekta, I would think that May 14 might be crowded since it's the weekend after the 50th Anniversary begins. I would think that if you could start your vacation by the 14th and then stick around for the week after that it wouldn't be very busy at that time. The local schools are still in session and people from other places are not starting their summer travels yet.

Lekta
01-18-2005, 10:43 AM
We have pretty much decide that we will be leaving Portland (driving) on April 9th, arrive at DL at about 8am on April 10th. We will be staying until the 15th. Here I am crossing my fingers that the park isn't packed to capacity. It does appear that the park is open until 8pm, while the following week it is only open until 7pm. That probably suggests it will be fairly busy, but, screw it. We want to stay in the park until later.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!!

Have a magical day!

D-lander 1956
01-18-2005, 03:40 PM
My 2 cents:

The park will not be capacity, not even close-it rarely is even in the summer. It may not even be very crowded because people will be saving their trips for after the May 5th celebration to see the 50th events. I would say you picked a good time-after Easter/Spring breaks and before May 5th. :geek:

:) ;) :)