PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic Dessert Buffet

Pages : [1] 2

Vault Disney
01-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Is it worth the money? We will be going with two little kids (4) and two folks over 60 and want to sit in chairs. Is it worth the money? I have visions of us all hanging off the balcony because they cram so many people there. :) Thanks!

Surfingstitch
01-14-2005, 02:17 PM
I think they only allow 15 people on the balcony

MrsG
01-14-2005, 02:28 PM
We've only done the PS along the water's edge. It was great sitting in chairs and not waiting for 2-3 hours on the ground. But I must say the "dessert" part was a bit disappointing. It was actually just cookies and a couple of chocolate strawberries. Maybe a Mickey rice crispy, can't remember too well. It was several items, just not what I'd call dessert but more like sweet snacks. I would do it again now that I know what to expect.

biolabetty
01-14-2005, 02:29 PM
I did this last month, and I'm doing it again on Monday. We enjoyed it, they seat approximately 21 people up there. They do seat you in the order that you purchased tickets, so call 30 days out no later than 8 AM. I called at 8 and we ended up being the second group seated. Tickets go fast!

got2travel
01-14-2005, 02:55 PM
I'll be on the balcony for the first time on Sunday.

But I've done riverside 3 times. As long as you don't expect an elaborate spread and realize that this splurge is really more for the convnenience of avoiding the 2-3 hour wait on the ground, then its well worth it.

They limit the number of people on the balcony and the riverside. The chairs are set pretty close to each other, but no too bad. Everyone has a great view. Unlike staking our your spot on the ground hours ahead of time only to have folks squeeze in next to you at the last minute, or worse, step right in front of you.

MouseWife
01-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Is there a difference in price for balcony/riverside?

I thought they also offered hot cocoa and other hot beverages? Do kids get punked? :| Not every kid likes plain cookies.

Oh, I am green with envy. I wanna do this! I've never seen Fantasmic!

sami869
01-14-2005, 03:11 PM
I have never heard of this riverside seating. Is it still available? How much does it cost?

pisces
01-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Here's my advice, which may be a little unconventional:

Are you going to be there for multi-days? I was. Therefore, I was able to take a gander at the show first, before deciding if I wanted to spend the money for the buffet and seating......this was New Years week, and they added lots of extra shows, plus the rain kept crowds to a minimum.......meaning you could get a last minute ticket. That might not be the case when you go.

Anyway, I took in---sampled the show from the ground, just standing where I could, for a few days.

I determined that I didn't like the show, let me rephrase that: I didn't like the show enough to justify spending the money. And, seeing it up close wouldn't have made a difference. It just wasn't Christmas-y enough for me. They didn't do anything special for Christmas.

I'm not sure I dislike it completely. And, if someone else gave me free tickets....I wouldn't turn them down. But, for me, after having sampled it the normal way, it just wasn't something I felt strongly enough to pay all that money for special seating.

Just my opinion.

MrsG
01-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I have never heard of this riverside seating. Is it still available? How much does it cost?
I think we paid $40-45 per person.

calguy77
01-14-2005, 06:05 PM
I've usually justed walked up when the show is about to start and had no problem finding a place to watch. Not sure why people pay and camp out.

Vault Disney
01-14-2005, 07:47 PM
We'll be there for 5 days, but it's only showing Day 1 and 2. One of those nights we plan on catching the Electrical Parade at DCA. I have seen Fantasmic at WDW and loved it. I just know that the parental units won't go for hanging around waiting for something to start. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. :)

vegasmommytoDL
01-14-2005, 09:56 PM

I posted this the other day http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=36091

I emailed them about the price the other day and this is what they told me:
Fantasmic!
On the Rivers of America, Mickey and friends fight a nighttime battle against Disney's most villainous Characters. The music, pyrotechnics, stunts, water-bound floats, and laser-projected images keep you spellbound. You can now watch Fantasmic! from two special seating areas where the view is as spectacular as the show!
Fantasmic! Balcony Viewing
Reserved patio seating upstairs at Disney Gallery includes a dessert buffet.
$49.75 All ages
Fantasmic! Premium Viewing
Seat with premium viewing Dessert Buffet.
$49.75 Adults
$39.75 Children (ages 3-9)

bassett1976
01-14-2005, 10:41 PM
I have seen Fantasmic at WDW and loved it.

My wife and I have seen Fantasmic at DL (Numerous times, once in the balcony) and WDW (just this last December). The story for the DL version (IMHO) is a lot better than the WDW version. It sticks with the dream that has gone wrong and how Mickey must take back control over the dream. We also thought that the WDW version was a lot darker and that the villians were all ganging up on Mickey but then they would just go away. The cool part at WDW is the bubble thing with all the characters, this is not at DL.

The worst thing about the DL version is that it doesn't have the stadium seating and for all those seats at WDW they fill up just about a quickly as the area around the Rivers of America.

LibertyCall
01-15-2005, 08:37 AM
We did the dessert buffet last May (my dh and I, our three year old, our 1 year old and my mom) and sat on the riverfront. We had a blast. It was well, well worth it. We got to park our stroller right next to our seats (I guess because we were on the end of the row) and everything was great.

We're going again this May (same people + a souvenier from our last trip...a soon to be born four month old daughter...hehe. :eek: ). I keep hearing that the balcony is the *best* place to sit. Could anyone clue me in on why the balcony is preferred over the riverfront? Would you say one area is better if you have little kids over the other?

Also, I called the reservation number yesterday to see exactly what time they open (though I won't be able to make reservations until April, of course) and they informed me that the tickets are now 53 per person. They also told me that my two year old (and of course the four month old) will be free if they sit on our laps. For some reason, I thought we had to pay for our 1 year old last year.

Yet one more question! Does anyone know if there will be any special changes to the show due to the birthday celebration?

CoasterChickie
01-15-2005, 08:50 AM
I think it would be really fun to splurge on the balcony seats at least one time. Part of the draw of it is not having to wait 2 or 3 hours to get a good seat. Also, when I was at Fantasmic last time, I was closer to the river and could see some of the action pretty well. But when I went up to the food stand that's next to the Golden Horseshoe, I noticed that I could see all of the action because I was a little higher. So I think being at the highest spot on the balcony would be the best view. I hope to find out some day. :)

sami869
01-15-2005, 11:20 AM
I'd like to be able to do it once but I just can't convince myself that a good view and desert is worth the same price as a day's admission to the park.

mystycalchyk
01-17-2005, 08:07 AM
I personally feel the balcony is the 'best'. It's dead center elevated as opposed to 'off to the side' The buffet includes several different decadent desserts, including cheesecakes, various cakes, fresh fruit kabobs etc etc (all from Club 33). Plus, all the coffee, hot cocoa and mint julips you can consume. And a wait staff to serve you while you watch and enjoy.

I love the balcony seating.

RStar
01-17-2005, 12:46 PM
I've usually justed walked up when the show is about to start and had no problem finding a place to watch. Not sure why people pay and camp out.

This may be fine on some less crowded days, or for the second show, but for the most part it is way too crowded to get a seat where you can sit 9rather than stand) and enjoy (like actually see) the show.

I still maintain that the best seats are dead center up against the fence on the river. Nothing beats experiencing the show when you can feel the mist from the water fountains, the heat from the fire on the river, the fog in your face at times, and the smell of the pyros!

I also feel this is the best show ever done at DL, close only to the Lion King Parade! The balcony is nice, but you're so far away it's more like watching it on TV instead of experiencing it.

danyoung
01-17-2005, 01:19 PM
The cool part at WDW is the bubble thing with all the characters, this is not at DL.

Really? That's about the time when I really start getting ticked off at the pacing of the WDW show. It's so perfect in DL, and so lame in WDW!

danyoung
01-17-2005, 01:25 PM
...this splurge is really more for the convnenience of avoiding the 2-3 hour wait on the ground, then its well worth it.

This is a good time to throw in my oft copied but never beat secret viewing location for Fantasmic! WITHOUT having to wait 2 to 3 hours (sorry to those who have read this before, but it's such a cool tip that I really like putting it out there).

When you come into the F! viewing area, you'll see 3 huge lighting towers that sit on big hydraulic poles. For whatever reason, the center tower (across from the Pirates entrance) remains lowered until showtime. It looks like a really lousy place to watch the show, what with being blocked by this big rack of lights, and so no one lines up there. Get there around 30 minutes out (I've cut it as close as 15 minutes with no problem), and stake your location right on the iron rail, maybe just to the right of the center of this tower. 10 minutes before showtime, the tower is elevated into its show position, putting you in a PERFECT front and center viewing spot.

There's just a bit of jostling when this thing goes up, as people realize that there is now prime real estate available. Just stand your ground, hold your elbows out a bit, and wait for the crowd to settle in a minute or two. You'll really enjoy your view, and you won't have dedicated your entire evening to get it!

Gouru
01-17-2005, 01:38 PM
We did the balcony with my mother and 90 year old grandmother a number of years back and it was great. Desserts then were European pastries, and Mint Juleps were available too. Don't think I'd pay for kids to do it though.

This year we got a nice seat on the River Belle Terrace. Much less expensive (price of a River Belle dinner). For second show, they didn't let you line up for seating until a few minutes before the first show is over, so with proper timing I was near the front of the line (3rd) and had a very short wait before we were seated (about 15 minutes). The hostess at the River Belle terrace was very helpful about when to show up to get a good seat.

View is not as good as the balcony or front row center, as it is offset to the side a bit, however, given the comfort of the seating, the short wait and the cost, I really think this is a great alternative to the higher cost seating.

P.S. I agree this is probably the best show ever. My old favorite was the Rivers of America shows they had before Fantasmic, usually with a live Big Band. I remember seeing Tommy Dorsey's orchestra there. It did the Pirate Ship thing and big Finale was the Mark Twain coming around the bend with the cast singing Robert E Lee!

pisces
01-17-2005, 01:48 PM
"I still maintain that the best seats are dead center up against the fence on the river. Nothing beats experiencing the show when you can feel the mist from the water fountains, "-----RS

Yes, that's all good and well, and maybe that works when it's warmer, but not on a cold Winter night.

I staked out a place, just right there, at River's edge, over New Years, and this is when they had extended performances at 9:30, 10:30....even one at 12:00 am NYE.....that whole week. But, it was so cold and windy that I just couldn't take it...getting doused, and left mid-performance.

The show wasn't important enough to get that wet, or pay that much money for preferred seating.

My best viewing spot was up on the bridge, above POC, leaning on the railing. I viewed the whole show, beginning to end at that spot. And, that was fine.

Again, the show wasn't all that important enough for me to spend the kind of money they want for preferred seating.

LibertyCall
01-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Cheesecake! Ha! We didn't get any stinkin' cheesecake on the riverfront. I only remember the macaroons, rice krispie treats, etc. Maybe I will have to check out the balcony this time. :D

sunnyca
01-17-2005, 06:05 PM
I think it's better to be on the balcony than the riverbank. And if they do fireworks and you're on the balcony for the first show of Fantasmic, they let you stay up there to watch the fireworks. When you call make sure to ask where you're seats are. When I went, my friends and I were in the first row so there was no one in front of us to obstruct our view. One bad thing is that they don't replenish the desserts and they actuually start cleaning it away a bit quickly (in my opinion at least!).

pisces
01-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Oh good, lets talk about the fireworks.

Yes, you can see the fireworks, but it's the back of them.

Let's face it: New Orleans Square is not prime viewing for the fireworks, or the snow IMHO. They try to market it like it's just as good (viewing the Fireworks) as being in front of the Castle, and every Cast Member told me there was no difference......and their brochures fail to mention that you are seeing the back of the fireworks.

Disclaimer: Maybe things will change for the 50th. Maybe with the revised fireworks, great viewing of them will truly be all around the Park, with no one spot better than the other. But, with Believe, you definitely needed to be either somewhere on Main Street, or in front of the Castle to get the complete effect of the fireworks.

And so, what that meant was there was a complete crunch and traffic jam trying to get over there from Fantasmic.