PDA

View Full Version : First visit to DLR

Lou Scarboru
01-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Still trying to convince DM on visiting DL and I would like to know what part of the year is good for a first time visit? I was thinking of maybe a visit during the week DM's birthday accurs? And also on or off site? I'd like to stay on site but I don't know which one to chose. I'd like to plan at least one dinner preferrably on my Mom's birthday so it would be extra magical. The thing is Mother believes when she visits that's when the big one will hit.
The current weather situation out there is not helping with the planning stage. My Mom is going to be 65 this year and I want to celabrate her birthday in a big way. So let me know what you all think will be a good thing that will create magical memories to be treasured for years to come.

Have a magical day
Lou scarboru

stan4d_steph
01-14-2005, 08:14 AM
When is your mother's birthday? Is she sensitive to cold weather? I would suggest early to mid-Dec. for a visit. All of the holiday decor is up and very few attractions will be closed at that time, plus the crowds tend to be lessened between Thanksgiving and Christmas, especially during the week.

Susan L
01-14-2005, 08:23 AM
I would suggest early to mid-Dec. for a visit. All of the holiday decor is up and very few attractions will be closed at that time, plus the crowds tend to be lessened between Thanksgiving and Christmas, especially during the week.

I was going to suggest the same thing. As far as lodging on site. It depends on what you can afford. GCH $$$$$ DLH $$$$ PPH $$$. We like the PPH its in walking distance to everything. The rooms are very nice and the service is great. If you have little ones DLH is probably a better choice but the rooms are much older and smaller. GCH is just that Grand. Its a beautiful hotel. We've never stayed at this hotel so I can't tell you about the rooms. Food it depends on your taste or I should say your mom's taste. There are many very nice places to eat in Downtown Disney as well as at the hotels.

disney jones
01-14-2005, 09:15 AM
i triple that nomination - sometime in early December. I think the key is to avoid huge crowds and Christmas is double the magic, so for a one time shot, that's the best.

As an alternate, i'd suggest sometime after May 5 but before the end of May, during the week - you'll see the 50th celebrations after they debut on 5/5 but avoid the crowds before school gets out.

Obviously a mid week visit is better as it misses the crowds. Saturdays are the busiest. October is also a nice time too as a third alternative.

Lou Scarboru
01-14-2005, 11:41 AM
When is your mother's birthday? Is she sensitive to cold weather? I would suggest early to mid-Dec. for a visit. All of the holiday decor is up and very few attractions will be closed at that time, plus the crowds tend to be lessened between Thanksgiving and Christmas, especially during the week.
Then your talking closer to my birthday which is in December. In fact a week before Christmas Eve. My Mom's birthday is in September on the 13th of that month. So what's September like at Disneyland?

Sandy

Niwel
01-14-2005, 01:13 PM
September isn't too crowded. Not too hot or cold (unless there is a strange weather pattern). However, the off-season is when they tend to close down rides for repairs -- but because it will be during the 50th celebration, everything should (not will because you never know) be open.

As for on site vs. off site ... it depends on your funds. Unlike at WDW where onsite is more convienient ... at DL, several offsite properties are actually closer. If you want to impress mom, you might want to spend the money on the Grand Californian. You can read all about the different hotels here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/reviews/).

Wendi
01-14-2005, 01:58 PM
September is a good time to go... but still quite hot. If you can afford the GCH stay there!!! It's nice and close, makes it easy to take breaks whenever you want and it's absolutely gorgeous, your mom will love it! There are a lot of great places for a nice birthday dinner too, I really like Storyteller's Cafe... nice but not too nice... comfortable - and good food! Yamabuki is EXCELLENT, so if she likes Japanese food take her there. There are more upscale places too if you want something more elegant. Blue Bayou is also a must, we always go for lunch - cheaper than dinner and the menu is different - you can't get a Monte Cristo at dinner.