PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Horseshoe Revue

merlinjones
01-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Why isn't this classic vaudeville review being revived for the 50th anniversary of Disneyland? Talk about a "no-brainer" special attraction... The stage sits there unused by anything ambitious... And I miss the Can-Can girls!

There is still time for this one, people! :mad:

Terri
01-13-2005, 04:18 PM
I remember ALWAYS having to go to this when I was a kid. And I remember thinking at the time that I hated it. But guess what? When I became an adult, I still made a point of going to the show. The best part was hurrying to get on the list and then getting near the front of the line so you could get one of the "special" tables on the stage on the ends or in the balcony. I was heartbroken when they ended it. Last year we stopped in for the current show and stayed for about 5 minutes. It was terrible! I agree...it would have been a no brainer to bring it back... :confused:

Shortiemetoo
01-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Loved going in line early to get one of the tables to the side of the stage. One time my brother and I smuggled in squirt guns and when the cast took out theirs to squirt the audience....we squirted back!!!!!! :eek:

Flint
01-13-2005, 04:23 PM
but they'd have to hire more talent...

I thought the whole point of Uncle Matt would be to knock those prima donnas down a peg.

Terri
01-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Loved going in line early to get one of the tables to the side of the stage. One time my brother and I smuggled in squirt guns and when the cast took out theirs to squirt the audience....we squirted back!!!!!! :eek:

How cool is that?!? I bet they loved it! :p

Niwel
01-13-2005, 04:30 PM
I wish I could see the original in person (but I guess I can watch the anniversary show with Annette and Ed Wynn and Wally Boag and pretend I was there -- very cute if you haven't seen it). I saw it when I was younger but didn't appreciate it then...

merlinjones
01-13-2005, 04:38 PM
>>I thought the whole point of Uncle Matt would be to knock those prima donnas down a peg.<<

I'll wager PC elitists in the theatre division were part of the reason this isn't coming back...

Go around them. Just outsource it like everything else!!!

Opus1guy
01-13-2005, 04:55 PM
I had the extreme pleasure of taking Wally Boag, Fulton Burley and Betty Taylor and their spouses to dinner at Club 33 many, many years ago. And as much as Wally played the comic and Fulton the straight-man in that classic show...it was Fulton that kept us (including Wally!) in stitches all night long! Perhaps being the straight-man on stage all those years caused this wonderful man's gag file to fill to bursting? :) What a great evening that was!

This is a wonderful idea and indeed would be a natural for the 50th.

But "they" probably would be afraid it would be too popular a show, and since the GHR wasn't "their" idea...would be worried about some power loss.

As funny as the scripted show was, it was the ad-libs that those guys did every show to keep it fresh to themselves, that often really made the show rock. They were always trying to catch each other off-guard to crack up the other guy. And that stuff infected the audience with laughter.

Wally and Fulton had a "Walt's Money-O-Meter" thing they did. They said when Walt would explain some new thing that was going into Disneyland to them, they could always tell how much money it was going to cost by how far Walt spread his hands and arms apart.

If Walt said, "It's going to be this thing...." and both his hands were held out fairly close together, they'd joke to each other later that it was going to be a million dollars. If Walt's hands were a bit further apart, it was 2 million. And so forth. And if Walt outstretched his hands and arms in a broad sweeping gesture...it was going to be 5 million or more. :)