PDA

View Full Version : Performers in Frontierland

Clint
12-12-2001, 03:43 PM
Has anybody seen performers in Frontierland acting out in front of the Golden Horseshoe? I went to Disneyland a couple days before Thanksgiving and I saw them around noon, I think. They were three men, and one of them was in drag. It was so funny. I was just walking by and I saw them and I stopped to watch because I love doing and seeing new things at Disneyland, and this wasn't even on the entertainment schedule. Well, when they were finished, they said they'd continue their act an hour later and would keep the saga going through the rest of the day. I came back to see the next one, but that was it.
It was one of the best things I did that day, if you see them, you really should stop and watch, it's worth it.

Andrew
12-12-2001, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Clint
Has anybody seen performers in Frontierland acting out in front of the Golden Horseshoe? I went to Disneyland a couple days before Thanksgiving and I saw them around noon, I think. They were three men, and one of them was in drag. It was so funny. I was just walking by and I saw them and I stopped to watch because I love doing and seeing new things at Disneyland, and this wasn't even on the entertainment schedule. Well, when they were finished, they said they'd continue their act an hour later and would keep the saga going through the rest of the day. I came back to see the next one, but that was it.
It was one of the best things I did that day, if you see them, you really should stop and watch, it's worth it.

They're known as The Laughing Stock and you're right, they're really funny. A great little show if you're in the area at the right time. And if you're not careful, you might be selected to help catch the bank robber!

JRob2k1
12-12-2001, 06:11 PM
Last Saturday I was selected as one of the three bachelors for Sally Mae!!

I got to be blindfolded and have that guy blow in my ear!! Luckily, I knew it was a guy, because the other guys werent that happy looking when thier blindfolds were taken off!

-JRob

Morrigoon
12-13-2001, 05:07 PM
It's not on the park map schedule, but if you ask a CM when Laughing Stock performs, they do have the schedule (though many of the new ones won't know where to look for it, because they don't know who laughing stock is)

Nigel2
12-13-2001, 09:32 PM
I think they are always on at 10:30, 11:30, and 12:30. Yeah they are great, did they have any connection to the other show at the GH where it was 2 bank robbers and a sherrif?

Morrigoon
12-13-2001, 09:34 PM
Earlier part of the same set, I think.

It's the whole thing with 2 cowboys, a mayor, and Sallie Mae.

Nigel2
12-13-2001, 10:08 PM
Do you mean the entire cast or just the shows, since I can't remember if Sally chages outfits when it isn't needed for a show. Also whatever happened to the larger gentleman that use to be there?

Morrigoon
12-13-2001, 11:24 PM
dunno... he was great too

Crazytigger
12-14-2001, 03:08 AM
I usualy catch them while waiting in line for Billy Hill and the Hillbillies

EandCDad
12-14-2001, 10:59 AM
We have seen these guys a few times. They always seem to be out there in the middle of the day. One time they did an improv poker game. One guy was supposed to guess what they were doing, who they were with, etc. It was hilarious.

Upanova
12-14-2001, 05:01 PM
They are a RIOT! I used to work at DL and I shared the Adventureland break room with 'em. I think the guy that plays the Mayor is the funniest of them. He'd always come on in and tells jokes or say hi to ya....

:-)

Upanova

Uncle Dick
03-03-2002, 08:31 PM
The Laughing Stock have four distinct segments (that I've seen anyway):

1. The Dating Game - The Mayor is trying to marry off his daughter Sallie Mae to the town sheriff, but is convinced to select three eligible "bachelors" from the audience (usually two adults and a small kid). They are blindfolded and asked questions ("If you were any animal on the frontier, which would it be?", "What song would you sing to me on our honeymoon?", etc.) until Sallie Mae finally selects the kid (who proceeds to run away).

2. Story time - The Sheriff and Town Idiot get to tell a classic Disney story Frontierland style with the Mayor switching back and forth between the two (to make the story as disjointed and, consequently, humorous as possible). After a while, the Mayor asks for a Disney character who has no business being in this particular classic Disney story as which point the story becomes even wackier. Finally, the Mayor asks for the name of any movie, past or present, Disney or not which is introduced into the already convoluted plotline that has developed. To add an extra layer of fun, the role of "switcher" is handed off to a young kid and the Mayor jumps in to help tell the story. Finally, the story ends "Happily Ever After". This is without a doubt the funniest segment and definitely skirts the line of "family friendly" on occasion (the last one I saw took digs at Cal OSHA).

3. Charades - The Mayor and Sheriff basically construct a mad lib (with the help of the audience of course) which they must then act out to the Town Idiot (using hilarious gibberish talk) who does a pretty good job of guessing what the audience came up with.

4. Bank Robbery - Sallie Mae witnesses a bank robbery and must "reconstruct" it for the Sheriff and the Mayor with the help of various volunteers from the audience. This segment can be particularly hilarious if the lucky volunteers from the audience really ham it up.

Good stuff all around.

Morrigoon
03-03-2002, 09:52 PM
My favorite sketches happen when there is construction around the GH, and laughing stock has to do new bits to conform to whatever area they have to work. One time I caught the mayor trying to do a ceremony, but he kept getting interrupted by "Rickets" a crazy old man. Eventually Rickets figures out that the mayor is dedicating the pin cart again. The mayor breaks down and admits his pin trading addiction, showing off an impressive collection hidden beneath his frock coat. Absolutely a crack up!

Nigel2
03-04-2002, 09:08 PM
I wonder why they got rid of the "hold-up" skit they use to do early in the morning. 2 robbers and a sherif and it would eventually get up on the balcony outside the GH.