PDA

View Full Version : What DCA could have been but is not

Clint
12-12-2001, 02:53 PM
Hi folks, I'm Clint, I'm sorta new.
People keep saying that DCA is cheap and they slashed the budget way too much. The only thing I know about that is that Golden Dreams was originally planned to be a carousel theater show with audio-animatronics, but they canned those two elements to save dough and just made it a movie. I read that in an article my uncle clipped for me last year.
I'd like to know what other DCA attraction projects got downsized, or even killed due to budget cuts. In other words, I want to know the original DCA concepts, so I can know what we could have gotten but didn't. I enjoy the park very much, but I would like it to become a little more than it is (and Flik's Fantasy Faire does not impress me at all), so I am greatly looking forward to expansion into the Timon lot in the next decade or so. Tower of Terror in 2004, what's next?
If anyone knows the location of a good webpage, one that can inform me of the original DCA concepts, please give it to me.
Many thanks.

merlinjones
12-12-2001, 06:42 PM
I'd like to hear some of these too. I remember at one point there was talk of a surfing simulator - - cool! - - what was that about?

LIMANDL4EVA
12-12-2001, 08:19 PM
a surfing simulator, thats gotta be over $100, WAY outta budget range;)

Napsto
12-12-2001, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by LIMANDL4EVA
a surfing simulator, thats gotta be over $100, WAY outta budget range;)

lol

Morrigoon
12-12-2001, 11:21 PM
We were supposed to have Westcot, with a big golden ball in the hub area. I've see the bird's eye view @ night drawing... looked fantastic.

innerSpaceman
12-13-2001, 06:01 AM
Boy, I remember when I was disappointed with the decision to give us Westcot. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Epcot (check the avatar), but I did not want just a watered down version of that park, but rather something new and original. Be careful what you wish for. Wouldn't I love to have Westcot now!

Instead, even Florida does not have Epcot (the park is a flimsy shadow of its former greatness) and we have DCA. How did the world of Disney ever come to this?

Nigel2
12-13-2001, 10:47 AM
Well it was rumored that SSL was going to be a fast ride and such, but they cut that down. Alot of the concepts for the Workshops in the Animation building are there but not as good as the drawings. Its generally small things after that, you probably should look at the art (if it is still there) at Disneyland.

Morrigoon
12-13-2001, 04:54 PM
Even if all we got was World Showcase... I sure would have liked a Westcot