PDA

View Full Version : Question for crowd experts...

JosieGirl71
01-11-2005, 08:13 AM
We are trying to decide which week we want to stay at DL around the holidays. We will be arriving on a Sunday and leaving on a Saturday (possibly Thursday). Is the week before or after Thanksgiving less crowded? Maybe the week of Dec. 4-10? (Yes, I read sediment's signature. ;) )

rentayenta
01-11-2005, 08:36 AM
From what I have read, there really isn't a slow season anymore. I think its just you and DH going, right? Get up early and do it all and then relax in the afternoon before dinner. This worked for us and we were there during the busiest time. The crowds were really not bad. I think I am maybe a Pollyannna when it comes to Disneyland :D

stan4d_steph
01-11-2005, 08:37 AM
After Thanksgiving will be less crowded and the holiday parade will be going.

stinkerbell
01-11-2005, 08:48 AM
I've always read that it's a madhouse the week OF Thanksgiving....meaning the days before Thanksgiving.

I went once the week after Thanksgiving and it was great.....not very many people were there, the park was open late and we got all the holiday magic. :)

We'll be there next year most likely December 11-16 for my daughter's fifth birthday. I kinda wish we were going a week earlier....but her bday is on the 13th.

JosieGirl71
01-11-2005, 09:12 AM
I think I am maybe a Pollyannna when it comes to Disneyland :D
You are a Pollyanna when it comes to DL! ;)

When we were there on 12/15 and 12/16, we practically walked onto every ride. However, when we were there on 12/20, the place was packed. We went to Indy at 1:00 to get a Fastpass and the Fastpass was for 8:30 that night! We left shortly after that as the crowds were too much for my sons. I don't mind the crowds if we are just going to be there to stroll through the park and people watch but my sons wanted to go on a few last rides.

In fact, the longest we waited in line for a ride the whole time we were there was when we went on IASWH on 12/20 and we waited for probably 45 minutes. I had to go on that ride! Otherwise, we either walked on every ride or waited 10 minutes.

CrazyTrain
01-11-2005, 09:34 AM
I went the Sunday after Thanksgiving and it was great! The lines were short, the park wasn't too crowded, and all the holiday stuff was up.

rentayenta
01-11-2005, 10:00 AM
perception is a funny thing JosieGirl because the 20th was our first day and it was very pleasant ;)

stinkerbell, we will miss you by a day. We'll be there from the 16-22.

Surfingstitch
01-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Maybe I will go from the 14th until the 21st?

JosieGirl71
01-11-2005, 10:43 AM
perception is a funny thing JosieGirl because the 20th was our first day and it was very pleasant ;)
When you have lived in the small town of Longview, Washington almost your whole life... ;) Especially since the crowds were SO minimal on the 15th and 16th. I knew it was going to be crowded but it definitely exceeded my expectations!

Aw shucks, I hadn't been to California in 16 years! Just been living up here in the sticks! :D

stinkerbell
01-11-2005, 09:30 PM
When we were there on 12/15 and 12/16, we practically walked onto every ride. However, when we were there on 12/20, the place was packed. We went to Indy at 1:00 to get a Fastpass and the Fastpass was for 8:30 that night! We left shortly after that as the crowds were too much for my sons. I don't mind the crowds if we are just going to be there to stroll through the park and people watch but my sons wanted to go on a few last rides.

In fact, the longest we waited in line for a ride the whole time we were there was when we went on IASWH on 12/20 and we waited for probably 45 minutes. I had to go on that ride! Otherwise, we either walked on every ride or waited 10 minutes.

This makes me feel better about the week we'll be there....the closer to Christmas/Winter Break, the busier it gets. Thanks! We'll be out of there before most people are on break.

And Josie.....I went to high school in Warrenton.....Longview was the Big City compared to that little hole. We used to go to Longview because they had a "mall." :D My best guy friend from high school works at Longview Fibre Mill as a civil engineer.

renta.....figures we'd miss one another once again. But we'll have a year of countdown together again. :D

mad4mky
01-12-2005, 08:16 AM
We have gone the first week of December...and it was GREAT. Crowds were not heavy at all.

I wouldn't recommend going the week of Thanksgiving. The busiest day I have ever spent at DLR...was Thanksgiving Day (and I just went Christmas day this past month, and that wasn't even as bad as that Thanksgiving Day :( ), and NYE....both are the worst!

Like everyone said though, the closer you get to Christmas, the more crowded it will be.
Same with Easter vacations... :(

the mad hatter
01-12-2005, 08:23 AM
I think this next holiday season will be alot different. Just for the fact that both space mountain and buzz will be open....that will up the ride capacity greatly and spread people more evenly throughout the park. imo.

rentayenta
01-12-2005, 08:24 AM
renta.....figures we'd miss one another once again. But we'll have a year of countdown together again. :D

Good point Stinkerbell. We can drive everyone mad with every little detail of our upcoming trips :D

JosieGirl71
01-12-2005, 08:36 AM
And Josie.....I went to high school in Warrenton.....Longview was the Big City compared to that little hole. We used to go to Longview because they had a "mall." :D My best guy friend from high school works at Longview Fibre Mill as a civil engineer.

Yeah, Warrenton is pretty small compared to Longview. I was comparing Longview to most cities in southern California (even the little podunk town of Corona where I was born is no longer small). BTW, I worked at Longview Fibre for a while.

I think we are looking at either Dec. 4 - 10 or Dec. 11 - 17. Depends on DH's work schedule.

-JosieGirl raising hand and waving it wildly- I want to be part of the new countdown too! Me too, me too! :D

Wesley815
01-12-2005, 08:45 AM
I think this next holiday season will be alot different. Just for the fact that both space mountain and buzz will be open....that will up the ride capacity greatly and spread people more evenly throughout the park. imo....But at the same time I have a feeling the promotions/ads for the park are going to be MUCH more this year as well (they've already started). That might bring out more guests during prime "vacation" times, like around summer and then holidays. Of course weather will also increase or decrease crowds as we've all seen with this year. And as you said; Space Mountain will advertise around the holidays on top of all the 50th things starting now. So yes that will 'spread out' guests however there may be more of them anyways which will still cause crowds.

kisroo
01-12-2005, 06:16 PM
We were there in early Dec and loved it. All the holiday fun...none of the holiday crowds...:D Really, the only day it was crowded was Sat eve for the fireworks. Other than that, it was perfect!
Have a great time planning and counting down your trip! Looks like Renta will be making another countdown thread for about that time. Be sure to post all your pre-Disneyland trip excitability! ;)
~kisroo:)

sediment
01-12-2005, 07:34 PM
This is a good time to go, but don't tell anyone.
Also, it's usually around the time of the Cast Member parties, so DL will close early. DCA, for some reason, this past year also closed early.
And it will get crowded at night, when the local AP holders come after work to see fireworks and snow.

JosieGirl71
01-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Thanks for all the replies! We still haven't decided when to go (possibly Nov. 13-19, Nov. 27-Dec. 3 or Dec. 4-10).

I would like to go when we can get the most "bang for our buck" so to speak but the thought of going in mid-November is appealing because I have the week of Thanksgiving off. That way we could go to DL for a week and then have a week to recover!

Will we miss anything by not going in December?