PDA

View Full Version : DLH v. GCH

Pages : [1] 2

JosieGirl71
01-10-2005, 03:41 PM
We have never stayed on-property and would like to stay at one of the DLR hotels when we go at the end of the year. DH and I will be going without children and are wondering if we should stay at DLH or GCH. We can probably eek out the extra $$ for DLH but GCH might be a strain (although I have visions of grandeur when it comes to GCH). Please help me by answering the following questions:

1. Which would you stay at if money IS a factor? Would you scrimp elsewhere to afford GCH?

2. Where does the monorail pick you up at DLH? Is it right at the hotel?

3. Taking into consideration views and walking distance, which tower is the best at DLH?

4. Is it worth buying a deluxe AP vs. 5 day PH to get the AP discounts at the DLR hotels during value season? Also, can I buy one just for myself and still get AP discounts for DH and me? (I am thinking I may be able to make a trip to DLR without DH at some point in time. :~D )

TIA!!!

stinkerbell
01-10-2005, 03:55 PM
I can't answer all your questions, but the monorail station for DH guests is in DTD next to ESPN Zone.

Also, you can definitely use just your AP to get discounts! :)

I was considering starting just this very thread!! My husband fell in love with GCH while we were down there and wants to save up to stay there. Mostly, I think it's just because he's lazy. :D ;)

The only room I saw at GCH was very small. Good for two people, but we always need more room. If it was just to two of us (is this for your "adult trip?), I'd splurge for GCH I think.

But for our family, I think DH would be the way to go until our kids (9, 6, 4) were older. We spend a LOT more time at Disneyland than at DCA. But as my kids have gotten older, they've requested more time in DCA, and I'm sure that will just increase and the ease of getting from your room to DCA makes GCH worth the $. :D Just kidding. GCH is beeyootiful and I just don't think my kids would appreciate it until they are older. My husband and I love the lobby and the restaurants and it's so resort-y and plush. It would be hard to stay there and then go down there again and NOT stay there.

We also don't spend a ton of time in our hotel room. We just don't. We're the stay-at-the-park-until-closing types. We never hang out at the pool. BUT we're willing to change if we stayed at DH or GCH. ;)

Anyway, I'm just rambling.....we're trying to plan our next year's December visit for Chloe's fifth birthday. Trying to justify the extra dough to stay on property, just for the heckuvit!! :)

Have fun planning! I know you seem to enjoy it as much as I do. :D

calguy77
01-10-2005, 03:56 PM
1. Which would you stay at if money IS a factor? Would you scrimp elsewhere to afford GCH? DLH, I would not scrimp on Disnyland just to stay at the GCH. Its nice, but the rooms at DLH are better

2. Where does the monorail pick you up at DLH? Is it right at the hotel? The monorail is right outside the hotel, about a block away, it next to rainforest cafe.

3. Taking into consideration views and walking distance, which tower is the best at DLH? Sierra tower is the closest to the monorail and DTD, it also gives you views of fireworks and theme parks

4. Is it worth buying a deluxe AP vs. 5 day PH to get the AP discounts at the DLR hotels during value season? Also, can I buy one just for myself and still get AP discounts for DH and me? (I am thinking I may be able to make a trip to DLR without DH at some point in time. ) only one person needs to have a annual pass to get hotel discount. I actually just went and had three rooms and got discount on each room. I think it is worth getting the AP instead of the 5 day pass.

pisces
01-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Staying at a very basic GC room, with a city-standard view, might be comparable to DLH-Sierra Tower, actually, in terms of price.

pisces
01-10-2005, 04:05 PM
We have never stayed on-property and would like to stay at one of the DLR hotels when we go at the end of the year. DH and I will be going without children and are wondering if we should stay at DLH or GCH. We can probably eek out the extra $$ for DLH but GCH might be a strain (although I have visions of grandeur when it comes to GCH). Please help me by answering the following questions:

1. Which would you stay at if money IS a factor? Would you scrimp elsewhere to afford GCH?

2. Where does the monorail pick you up at DLH? Is it right at the hotel?

3. Taking into consideration views and walking distance, which tower is the best at DLH?

4. Is it worth buying a deluxe AP vs. 5 day PH to get the AP discounts at the DLR hotels during value season? Also, can I buy one just for myself and still get AP discounts for DH and me? (I am thinking I may be able to make a trip to DLR without DH at some point in time. :~D )

TIA!!!

1. If money is a factor, I would still stay at the Grand Californian. Yes, I would simply cut corners elsewhere. Food isn't that spectacular at Disneyland, and GC provides a refrigerator, plus there's a microwave in Whitewater snacks.....so I'd bring in my own food, to have out on the GC balcony....and that's probably exactly what I'll be doing on my next GC stay ...to cut costs.

2. I believe the monorail has a stop right at DLH. But beware: sometimes it shortlines, and doesn't go the full distance. I found, late at night, during some of the last trips, they were stopping only at Downtown Disney......and DLH guests would still have a bit of a walk. Be careful....I don't know if the monorail goes the full way, always.

Also, it stops at Tomorrowland. I don't like the Tomorrowland entrance, as well as entering through the traditional Main Street Gate. Tomorrowland is a bit dull and not as charming, doesn't make for a very cheery entrance IMHO.

3. Grand Californian, without a doubt. GC actually has a shortcut through it's corridors that allows you to bypass Downtown Disney and with GC, you can literally be out the hotel doors and at the maingate in under 3 minutes, maybe even less, with the special GC shortcut. And, that's just the original park. If we are talking about the California Adventure.....GC is right in the middle of that, with a special entrance and no walking required.

4. I don't know anything about this.

DISCLAIMER: I've not stayed at DLH. I've only stayed at the Grand Californian, but it was a pretty lengthy stay of one week. And I experienced walking to the DLH and back.

There is absolutely nothing closer to the Maingate of the Original Park, than the GC.

CarlieB
01-10-2005, 04:07 PM
We stayed at the GCH for 2 nights our last trip (December) and really enjoyed it (2 adults, no kids). However, it's probably not worth the money if you're not going to spend some serious time there.

It's totally gorgeous (although the standard rooms are pretty small) and the facilities are really nice. We ate twice at Storytellers and used the pool areas (really nice, even at nighttime), as well as having drinks at the Hearthstone Lounge and sitting by the fire a couple of times. The entrances to DCA and DTD are both great, and so handy. However, we felt that we just were't there enough to justify the expense in some ways. I'd love to stay there again, but it probably won't be for a while.

iAmJacksDLand
01-10-2005, 04:13 PM
There's some misinformation lurking here, so I'll try to clear up your questions...

1. If money is a factor, stay at the Disneyland Hotel. The Grand Californian is beautiful, grand, magical, and feels very much like you are in your own secluded world. It also feels more like a resort, rather than a hotel. The Disneyland Hotel, at times, can be just as magical, however, the hotel is a little dated - you can feel the age. It also feels like a hotel. If you can manage to cut costs elsewhere, do the Grand Californian. The rooms are pretty much the same exact size at both hotels, with very similar layouts. At the Grand Californian, being an upscale facility, there is lots more available to you - extended room service hours, health club/spa, updated, more Disney-like restaurants, etc. These things might make the cost worth it if you need them. Also, the Grand Californian is WAY closer to the heart of the resort than the Disneyland hotel is. At the Grand Californian, you walk outside, and you're right in the middle of Downtown Disney. You can also enter DCA from your own entrance, and Disneyland is a short stroll away. The monorail does not stop right AT the Disneyland hotel - more like about a 3 minute walk into Downtown Disney. The monorail also has long lines and can be slower than walking at times.

2. I kind of answered question 2 in answer 1.

3. If you are going to be staying at the Disneyland Hotel, ask for a room on the lower floors facing towards the pool (this will be just as much as a lower floor facing downtown disney or parking lots.) This way, you wont have to pay more, but will have a picturesque view of the center grounds.

4. Yes get an annual pass. Not only is it "free" admission for a year, but it will save you money at the resorts and at some restaurants. I'm not sure which pass gets discounts on hotel rooms, but ask, and they will tell you.

disney jones
01-10-2005, 04:24 PM
1. GCH should be done at least one (or twice :D ), but DLH works best for a budget, it's not worth the extra $$$ for return trips. Especially if you spend all day and night at the parks. You can experience a lot of GCH without staying there- Storytellers, the lobby, the DCA entrance.
2. just want to point out DLH is closer to the Monorail Station than GCH is. But obviously DCA is closer to GCH.
3. Sierra is closest to the park/monorail station, Bonita has some very close self-parking spots, Marina has the benefit of being the 'main' tower with the gift shop, and is second closest to the park. My vote: Sierra (because I have to carry two tuckered out girls at the end of the day) - closeness rules!!
4. Yes, buy the Deluxe AP. The main reason i bought it was because two 2-day trips will pay for a Deluxe AP.

rentayenta
01-10-2005, 05:14 PM
IMHO, the Disneyland Hotel is pure Disney magic and the Grand Californian makes me feel like I am in Yellowstone or Jackson Hole. Its beautiful but it ain't got the magic :D

Susan L
01-10-2005, 06:35 PM
On property if money is a factor then the Paradise Pier Hotel is the best. Its got a California beach theme to it. If you have pre-teens or teens this is a good place to stay. It also has very nice rooms and very good service. Its quite the walk back from the monorail after a long day but you get over it.

We stayed at the DLH last visit and did not have a good experience. The rooms are small and older. If you got little ones this is the place to stay be prepared for it being noisy. The big plus is how close the monorail is. The monorail is a short walking distance from the Sierra Tower in Downtown Disney.

GCH is your most expensive. Way to pricy for us. A very beautiful hotel though.

All three hotel guest can use the GCH entrance to DCA. We found this out last time we were there. We were told by CM's that DLH guest could not but we did anyways and never had a problem.

tink1234
01-10-2005, 06:54 PM
We have stayed at both DLH and GCH. We were not happy with DLH, but were THRILLED with GCH. I would cut corners every way possible to stay here again. Granted we did pay for conceirge and a 2 bed/2 bath suite, (shared with my parents) BUT it was AMAZING. And I am normally a very cheap person.

I would much rather stay in a nice hotel and eat cheaply than the other way around. I do try to have one nice meal while we are there, though. I also limit souveniers. This time we packed EVERYTHING we had that was Disneyland. Sweatshirts, light-up thingys, costumes, etc. We only bought the stuff-a-box of Mr. Potato head accessories for $18 and charms for my and my 4 daughter's italian charm braclets for $4 a piece in the parks and hotels. After 4 days at the resort a total of $38 plus tax for souveniers is pretty good, I think!

Our first morning with staying off property we got a continental breakfast, then we later had churros in the park. After a dinner at ESPN ZONE and clam chowder in bread bowls in New Oreleans Square, we were done for the evening. The next day was breakfast in the concierge lounge, snacks in the lounge for "tea" and the wine and cheese reception, also in the lounge. The only "meal" we had after that was at the Rainforest Cafe for Christmas Dinner. Believe me the memories and video we have at the GCH is priceless. Please, if you have any opportunity and extra money spend it here, it IS worth it.

pisces
01-10-2005, 07:36 PM
"I would much rather stay in a nice hotel and eat cheaply than the other way around. I do try to have one nice meal while we are there, though. "---tink1234

OMG, tink, that is exactly how I feel.

That statement summarizes everything I believe in. I think that we remember hotel rooms and hotels better than we remember what we ate.

At some point, every meal starts to blur together. But I'll definitely remember the quality of a hotel, no matter how much time I did or didn't spend in the room. And I don't want a bad, or lesser, hotel sticking in my brain, forever more after. I don't think DLH is bad, though. And, I'd really like to get a look at a Sierra Tower room, sometime, just to see what it looks like and with a good view. I'm sure it's nice.

Did you know, that I met people staying at the Grand Californian, that were from Knotts Berry Farm . Knotts doesn't have a nice hotel, or at least not to the level of GC......and so a lot of Knotts guests come over to GC to spend the night. I'm not kidding and I don't work for Disney or their hotels. I just discovered this while I was there. That speaks volumes to me. I could imagine having a lovely picnic of a bucket of Mrs. Knotts fried chicken.......while sitting at my GC balcony!

calguy77
01-10-2005, 08:10 PM
We have stayed at both DLH and GCH. We were not happy with DLH, but were THRILLED with GCH. I would cut corners every way possible to stay here again. Granted we did pay for conceirge and a 2 bed/2 bath suite, (shared with my parents) BUT it was AMAZING. And I am normally a very cheap person.

I would much rather stay in a nice hotel and eat cheaply than the other way around.

You are talking like the DLH is a dump, not at all. Honestly for a few hundred dollars more the GCH is not worth it, rooms to me were smaller and it took just as long to walk from my hotel room to the park as it would from the DLH room to the monorail station.

JosieGirl71
01-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Thank you all for the responses! Can any of you provide me with info about PPH? Distance? Transportation?

We stayed at HoJo's last month and though they have great customer service, it was too far at the end of the night and the rooms were VERY dated.

Since it is just going to be DH and me, we wanted to stay on-property.

kisroo
01-10-2005, 08:27 PM
1. Which would you stay at if money IS a factor? Would you scrimp elsewhere to afford GCH? If it's just you and hubby~ABSOLUTELY stay at GCH. It's hands down the most romantic, beautifully decorated of all the onsite hotels, IMHO. We stayed there in a king room and found it to be perfect for the 2 of us. It wasn't as small as some rooms I've seen, but I would have felt crowded if there was anyone else with us. Others might not feel the same way. I thought the room had plenty of room and many other amenities that I enjoyed more than, say, a few extra square feet of carpet...

2. Where does the monorail pick you up at DLH? Is it right at the hotel? The monorail doesn't pick you up at any of the hotels. DLH is the closest to the monorail station, but if you stay at GCH you are the closest to the main gates and have an entrance into DCA. We never used the monorail to get back to the hotel or into the park when we stayed at the GCH. It was so close to both parks, it wasn't necessary. We did ride just for fun, though... ;)

4. Is it worth buying a deluxe AP vs. 5 day PH to get the AP discounts at the DLR hotels during value season? Also, can I buy one just for myself and still get AP discounts for DH and me? (I am thinking I may be able to make a trip to DLR without DH at some point in time. :~D ) If you are going for 5+ days, I'd spend the extra to get an AP and use it for the discounts. Or, if you are planning to return within the year for another visit, like you mention~I would get at least the Deluxe AP. You don't both need one to get the discounts on the hotels or elsewhere.

Have a wonderful time planning your trip! We loved the GCH and are saving up to stay there on our next trip. It's wonderful! Anyway~enjoy!
~kisroo:)

JosieGirl71
01-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Where exactly is the monorail station for DLH guests? Does anyone have a map?

Karen256
01-11-2005, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by SusanL: All three hotel guest can use the GCH entrance to DCA. We found this out last time we were there. We were told by CM's that DLH guest could not but we did anyways and never had a problem.

This is the first I've heard of this...has anyone else found this to be true? Part of the reason we chose PPH over DLH was that we thought it had a separate entrance into DCA. Very disappointed to find they closed it but this may make up for it...

disney jones
01-11-2005, 10:52 AM
This is the first I've heard of this...has anyone else found this to be true? Part of the reason we chose PPH over DLH was that we thought it had a separate entrance into DCA. Very disappointed to find they closed it but this may make up for it...
i've never been asked to show my hotel key when using this entrance and have used it about 10 times, so again i think it depends on the CM there. And sometimes when using the entrance, we've been staying at DLH, some times at GCH, and sometimes off-site.

disney jones
01-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Where exactly is the monorail station for DLH guests? Does anyone have a map? directly east of the Marina tower, just past the EPSNZone and RF Cafe restaurants when entering DTD.

tinksmom
01-11-2005, 11:03 AM
My husband, who is the king of frugality, says "The Grand Californian made my trip!"

My (then) 12 year old daughter loved the GCH almost as much as she loved the thrill rides.

There is nothing like sitting next to the outdoor fireplace, after the fireworks, sipping a hot buttered rum in a rocking chair.

I would rather do food on the cheap---for us, one night at Storytellers is luxury dining anyway.

pisces
01-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Nobody said the DLH was a dump.

It is probably more upscale than a lot of hotels, it's just a question of ....is it the newest, and closest to all the attractions.

If smoking is a factor, GC is fantastic, when they say the whole place non-smoking, they really mean it. I don't know if that's the case with the Disneyland Hotel.

Also, although I don't know anything about AP......you might try pricing, just the hotel alone, through AAA. A standard GC room, through AAA (just the hotel without a package) could be competitive in terms of price.

That's how I'm going to do it next time. I'm just going to go through AAA for the hotel only, and buy my parkhoppers separately. That's what seems to work for me.

tink1234
01-11-2005, 11:18 AM
You are talking like the DLH is a dump, not at all. Honestly for a few hundred dollars more the GCH is not worth it, rooms to me were smaller and it took just as long to walk from my hotel room to the park as it would from the DLH room to the monorail station.

I am sorry if I gave that impression. All I said is we weren't happy with DLH. Part of it was our room and part was the service. We only stayed there one time and had a standard room. At GCH we had a better room, because we paid for one. So I can not compare similar rooms, but the service and lobby ARE much better at GCH.

Darkbeer
01-11-2005, 01:55 PM

Yes, the rules were changed when they closed the special PPH entrance. Now any Disney Hotel guest can use the GCH DCA entrance for first entry of the day. Any park guest can use it as an exit, or for re-entry (they want you to eat and drink in the hotel.)

Darkbeer
01-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Thank you all for the responses! Can any of you provide me with info about PPH? Distance? Transportation?

We stayed at HoJo's last month and though they have great customer service, it was too far at the end of the night and the rooms were VERY dated.

Since it is just going to be DH and me, we wanted to stay on-property.

The walk from the Main Entry Plaza to the PPH is about the same as the walk to HoJo's is.

Disney does not offer any sort of tram serivce to their hotels, and refuses to allow ART to offer service.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-11-2005, 02:03 PM
We used to alternate between the DLH and the GCH, but the last few times we have gone the GCH has been to expensive even with the AP rate.

For atomsphere and charm the GCH is fabulous, for a feeling that you are still in DL, the DLH is best. My daughter calls the Grand "mickey's really nice house".

The proximity to the parks and DTD can't be beat and the service is great, but I have always had really good service at the DLH and have always been able to get either a pool view or DTD when requested.

I think you need to figure how much time you really will be spending in the room, the GCH is much more relaxing, has the awesome lobby and a much nicer lounge than DLH.