PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Lincoln closure

roband74
01-10-2005, 08:20 AM
I noticed on today's update that Mr. Lincoln will be going down on 2/22, but will be open again on April 15. I thought Mr. Lincoln was going away for 18 months. Anyone have any updates?

HorizonsA
01-10-2005, 11:09 AM
The Opera House will open in April, but will have the Walt Disney show and museum instead of Mr. Lincoln. That's what the update was saying.

MrsPooh
01-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I am so afraid that this is the end of the road for Mr. Lincoln. We love that show!

Corwin17
01-10-2005, 04:39 PM
I honestly haven't seen the Great Moments show in many years. I tried going in about 2 years ago, but the stench of mold forced us out of the lobby. It was really disgusting. Anyone know if they ever cleaned it?

arielova
01-10-2005, 04:58 PM
I think the "older" smell makes it more realistic. I love Mr. Lincoln and hadn't seen it for a few years until last summer. It was updated since I'd seen it last. Headphones and new effects and what not. I liked it. I had a tear in my eye by the end. My kids thought I was crazy. I told them they were being disrespectful and to listen to what was being said. I don't know if they got it, but they stopped talking and being rude......... :rolleyes: Eventually they'll understand. :)

disney jones
01-10-2005, 04:59 PM
i finally took the girls the last trip Dec 22/23, mainly because it was closing soon, but also so we could do something educational. I hadn't been in over 20 years. My 5 yr old in Kindergarten has heard of Abe so that helped. She also liked it when i said "Nice haircut" when we left. ;)

Go see Abe!!

MrsPooh
01-10-2005, 09:13 PM
I went once when I was 7, and thought it terribly boring.

When we were there Christmas 2002 I went mainly because I wanted to humor my mom, she really wanted to go. I was really impressed by the improvements, with the headphones and such. Piglet was 7 at the time, and he absolutely loved it, which was a total surprise. When we were there in August, Piglet was the one who insisted we see it again!

I know there are people here who don't like the changes, but we sure did! ;)

GrumpyUTboi
01-10-2005, 09:29 PM
When we were there in Oct the CM's in front of the attraction were saying that Oct 31 was the last day that anyone could see it and that it was going to be closed for good. I had never been so I took my family to see it. The family and I loved it. I was a history major in college for a number of years and my emphasis was on the Civil War. Seeing the attraction brought to live some of what I studied. If it is truly gone forever I am happy that I saw it when we did. When we walked out of the attraction we saw three men digging as if their lives depended on it, the next day we got to see the Christmas tree. So the memory of the attraction is a sweet one.

lisap
01-10-2005, 09:46 PM
My family will be among the few who miss it and hope it returns--we always paid a visit when we were at the Park. I know most people preferred the old Royal Dano version with selected remarks, but I loved to hear the Gettysburg Address. When my kids visited the Lincoln Memorial last year for the first time, they stood and read the words that they had heard so many times at DL. Seeing Mr. Lincoln opened the door for them to want to learn more about so many things--the Civil War, Washington, various Presidents before and after him, surround sound ( ;) )--what other attraction can boast that. HISTA? Innoventions? Feh.

HorizonsA
01-10-2005, 10:06 PM
I just don't see how they can just remove Mr. Lincoln for good. It's an historical Disney attraction. It was the first attraction in the world to feature a human Augio-Animatronic. Just like, if they were to ever remove the Tiki Room or change ours into the New Managment crap, I would so protest.

I love Mr. Lincoln. I see the show every time I go to Disneyland. I do miss the song "Two Brother" though. I wish they would some how tie in that song into the show.

GoldenEars
01-10-2005, 11:34 PM
The new, up-dated version of Lincoln is terrible! I don't believe anyone who sees it should be laughing at any point during the show, and that's exactly what happens when you see it now. It lost the richness and historical meaning when they changed it to accommodate the *newer* generation of our era! It was MUCH more moving the old way and it was a crime they got rid of the *Two Brothers* song when they up-dated it.

I've seen it a few times, but only to accommodate others who have not yet seen the newer version. And each time it's the same with people in the audience...laughing and being disrespectful, it's a shame!

I'm glad it's going away and would only welcome it back if they brought the original version back in the theatre!

TempoNZ
01-11-2005, 01:02 AM
Bot being from the US myself (So probably have a less emotional feeling on the attraction) I actually really enjoyed it when I saw it inn 2002 (And no I cna't remember laughing but hey I might have. Then again, make something interesting and funny and people remember it).

When I did a year at uni in the US I took an American History paper (As in Rome.....) so it was interesting seeing what i had learnt have a bit of life etc (Of course being a big history buff and a sucker for a good story I was very familar with the US Civi War and Lincoln beofre I headed to the US in 95.

I think it is important to learn as much about other countries as you can as well as your own of course (I was very impressed when i did a Maroi language paper here at Otago a few years ago and in my totorial group of 12, 3 were UIS exchange students (About 200 did the paper all in all) it was great to see they were taking the opportunity to learn a bit about the county etc while they were here. Nice to see the steriotype being broken).

When i get back to Disneyland whenver that may be I hope to see Abe again in his full glory.

blusilva
01-12-2005, 07:46 PM
I've seen it a few times, but only to accommodate others who have not yet seen the newer version. And each time it's the same with people in the audience...laughing and being disrespectful, it's a shame!

How can it be disrespectful to laugh at a show that has comedy built into it? The audience is supposed to laugh at some parts.

I know what you're saying, though. The show itself is "disrespectful" in that the tone is all over the place. Tee hee, the photographer's assistant is breaking glass plates and you're getting a haircut - and now, soldier, your leg was just amputated and you must Liiiiiivvvvveeeee. It's bizarre to say the least.

sediment
01-12-2005, 07:51 PM
I honestly haven't seen the Great Moments show in many years. I tried going in about 2 years ago, but the stench of mold forced us out of the lobby. It was really disgusting. Anyone know if they ever cleaned it?
Pressler must have recently passed through. Ba-dum-BUM!

Disneyfreak
01-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Pressler must have recently passed through. Ba-dum-BUM!
LOL :~D :~D :~D :~D :~D
Eisner maybe. :rolleyes:

RStar
01-13-2005, 02:33 PM
It sounds like they wont be using the theater section for the musium, any one know? If that is the case, old Abe will be just sitting back there waiting rather than being ripped out and need to be put back in. At least that helps give us hope of comming back. But if the attendance does'nt pick up it may well be the end. Also, durring the down time maybe they could do another update to pick up the numbers AND save the attraction, who knows.