PDA

View Full Version : Don't Feed the birds

Crazytigger
12-12-2001, 03:56 AM
Ok is it just me or have I never noticed the hundreds of crows at DL around this time of year. I was sitting at the hub on Sat looking down Main Street waiting for the procesional. I have never seen so many crows in my life. A couple people in our party got HIT. I was talking to a guy who was standing there who has been to Cndlelight for a number of years, and he said that they have been getting worse very year. Guess I have never noticed before. It happened arounf 5pm. Anyone else seen this?

Not Afraid
12-12-2001, 02:36 PM
Yes! We started noticing them in great numbers after HMH opened. We continually joke that the ravens are mad because all but one have been taken out of the Mansion and are revolting and bombing in protest. :)

bluepearl
12-12-2001, 03:27 PM
I haven't noticed the crows as much. Though I've always thought that people shouldn't feed the wild birds because it encourages them to continue to flock the area for food. Not that I'm mean or anything - that's not my point. I just remember seeing something on television about an area that used to feed these wild monkeys, which trained the monkeys to believe they deserved the food. Eventually, the monkeys got really hostile whenever they didn't get food and would attack people. It's always something that runs through my mind when I see people feeding the ducks as well.

innerSpaceman
12-12-2001, 03:42 PM
The crows have been a Disneyland sunset tradition since time immemorial. Town Square and Frontierland are usually the best spots for the daily flocking of the crows. Personally, I love the effect. It's very Hitchcockian. Riffildi Raffildi Now Now Now.

mousey_girl
12-12-2001, 04:11 PM
Last year, at this same time, the hubby and I noticed the crows. This year we were walking thru DD and noticed a employee at the bakery making a feeble attempt to wave them off. The times of day that you can really notice them is at sunset and in the early morning. With the opening of DCA and DD there are many more areas for the pests to roost.

mad4mky
12-12-2001, 04:29 PM
I think its a California thing. Even up here where we live (south of San Francisco...by Stanford U.) we have TONS of them too...

But, I made a comment when we were at DLR that they must have followed us down...there were a lot there. I sort of think they're cool though. Reminds me of Hitchcock....

LIMANDL4EVA
12-12-2001, 04:56 PM
funny thing is, i have never seen an pigeons at DL, ok, maybe one or two every couple of visitis but other than that, they are non-existant:D

cemeinke
12-12-2001, 05:43 PM
I've got no problem with the crows but the sparrows are another story. I've been struck in the head twice by those Kamikaze fowls. I just hope the crows aren't taking any lessons.

Ace
12-12-2001, 05:58 PM
hee hee....kamikaze fowls. I saw cats (two of them) at the French market last weekend. the mansion was so cool! they should train crows to fly above it...

Not Afraid
12-12-2001, 07:01 PM
We actually had a visit from 3 of the HM cats when we ate at the FM on Tuesday. One long haired Black, a long haired Tabby that looked like the cowardly lion and a Torti kitten. They all 3 ate out of our hands and continued to hang around. Very cute!

mad4mky
12-12-2001, 07:05 PM
I've never been lucky enough to see the cats. But the last night we were at DL (Dec 3rd)...we saw two CM's looking for two outside of FM...they were calling them. The park was closing, and we had just gotten off Splash Mt...we would've stopped had it not been time to leave.

Morrigoon
12-12-2001, 07:44 PM
If they could find a way to place birdseed somewhere on a non-visible part of the mansion roof, that would probably get the birds' attention. It would be kind of cool to see whole flocks of crows just hanging out on the roof. Cool until you imagine the guano that would create ;) Maybe it's better that they all just flock past Splash Mtn

disneylandlive
12-12-2001, 08:00 PM
I agree with cemeinke about the sparrows. If you eat outside the French Market during the summer there are at least thirty of 'em.

bluepearl
12-12-2001, 08:00 PM
My friend and I saw a black cat hanging around La Brea Bakery one morning. I assumed it was one of those cats that are supposed to be pet control. Luckily it wasn't hostile or anything - I always seem to come across cats that look at me like I'm going to attack them or something.

MickeyD
12-12-2001, 08:48 PM
Napsto, where are you?

I know he's seen the cats cuz he called me to tell me about it.:)

Napsto
12-12-2001, 08:56 PM
scary cats

Gandalf
12-13-2001, 10:26 AM
The black birds/ravens are pretty disgusting when they first launch all their excess "baggage" on take-off. We were sitting and waiting for the fireworks along the hub last summer and watched everyone run for cover. They peppered a lot of people sitting in front of the castle. We were talking with an older cast member and he said that some of them are infested with mites (sp?)

scanmom
12-14-2001, 05:12 PM
All birds are infested with mites...and if you think the crows are bad, you should see the egrets in eastern Ok., in the spring there are MILLIONS of them EVERYWHERE!!! They are so nasty when they are in excess. However, the rest of the year they are kinda cool....they ride on the backs of the cows!!!!
And...we saw the DL cats in Fantasyland in Oct. during EE! I had always heard about them, but this was my 1st time to see them!:D