PDA

View Full Version : the Power of BLAST!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

dlcuddles
12-11-2001, 10:21 PM
If you haven't seen The Power of BLAST of yet, make sure you plan your schedule to see it. Reason be is #1 if you come one second late, you will not be allowed in, #2 we have tickets to get in and if the director is ready to start and you don't have your ticket most likely you will not get in if you haven't come before director has called places, #3 PLEASE PLEASE don't automatically assume that we will allow you inside if your family is inside even after the show has started, more than likely you'll have to wait the 33minutes and 43 seconds to be exact. So PLEASE ARRIVE on TIME atleast 30 minutes prior to the showtime...

REVISED show times are now as follows. Monday, Wednesday-Thursday 1p, 3p, 5:15p and Friday-Sunday 1:45p, 3:15p, 5:30p, and 7:15p.

To get tickets they are being distributed throughout the Disney Resort. But to be guaranteed a ticket please pick up your ticket either at the Hyperion Theater doors or from a Hyperion Castmember at the Hollywood Pictures Backlot Entrance. You will see that designated castmember with tickets or with a group of people in a spot surrounding that castmember. If you do not get a ticket, you still have a small chance on getting inside the theater, we have a standby line that will allow guests inside the theater at a certain time. But we highly recommend you getting a ticket, besides they are FREE!!!

What is The Power of BLAST:
For those of you that haven't seen the show, here is my spiel to guests...
BLAST is a high energy drum and bugle core team with a pageantry team that toss instruments, flags, rifles and sabres. The show does contain light strobe lighting and a bit of black lighting.
My extension to the spiel:
BLAST is also a Tony award winning show that will be playing at the OC Performing Arts Ctr.

Well, that's about it....
This was just a note to let you know something about the process before seeing the show... I'll post more at a later date...

Lost Boy
12-12-2001, 09:17 PM
I saw BLAST this last Saturday and was impressed, very impressed. This is one fantastic show that should not be missed. I was so impressed and went to the store on Hollywood Backlots main street and bought the DVD of the full show.

I think I like the 30 minute version better than the full show, but that is only me. The show is high energy and some increcible stuff going on througout the theater. The perfomers come right up into the mezzanine and balcony and main floor areas as well as the stage. It is a sn incredible show and played to packed house. Get the tickets as soon as you can before each show, they go quick. And like dlcuddles said, they are FREE.

disneylandlive
12-12-2001, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know the dates for the last showing of "Steps In Time" and the first for "Blast"?

dlcuddles
12-12-2001, 11:10 PM
Thanksgiving was Opening Day for Blast and Steps' last day was like early October...

Nigel2
12-13-2001, 10:25 AM
Yeah lost boy for me alot of shows like that are much better in a shorter version. My problem is that with shows like Stomp and Riverdance (don't ask:D ) is that either on tv or short versions are ok but when you are sitting there for a long time the constant sound can get very annoying.

Lost Boy
12-13-2001, 06:16 PM
I loved Riverdance, both versions. The original with Michael Flatley and the new one without him are both fantastic shows. And Michael Flateley's Feet of Flames is also incredible.
Stomp got a little repetitious after awhile. A very high energy show and I liked it, it just got to be to much of the same thing after awhile. Blast is good in the long version, what dissapointed me in the longer version is some of the "music" is not my kind of thing. Bolero, Maleguenia, Lemon Techno Dance, and some of the drum battle stuff was the best, and those are all included in the 30 minute version at DCA.

jake99
12-13-2001, 09:27 PM
everything in the show was except i didnt like that whole dancing part with the green fags

jake99
12-13-2001, 09:28 PM
sorry typo meant flags

Nigel2
12-13-2001, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
I loved Riverdance, both versions. The original with Michael Flatley and the new one without him ...
Actually I think Michael Flatley is the other version. He wasn't the first guy. Also does anyone else realize that blast is supposed to be emotions?

Lost Boy
12-14-2001, 07:02 PM
I don't want to get into an aurgument here but Micahel Flatley created Riverdance and danced it first. He left when the managers wanted to change his vision of the show. I have video footage of him making the very first 10 minute Riverdance segment in Ireland 2 years before he staged the complete show. It was his creation and the show managers wanted to change it completly so he left rather than give in and created his second show which was about the birth of Ireland and then changed it slightly for Feet of Flame, his farewill performance which is also on tape. The New York version of Riverdance was the one that was created after Michael left the show. It is ok, but you can tell it is not his anymore.

Nigel2
12-14-2001, 10:39 PM
You know it's been so long, isn't Flatley that scary blonde guy that didn't wear a shirt for one of those type shows? If not then I was mistaken by the names.

Lost Boy
12-15-2001, 01:21 PM
Thats him and he really is not all that scary. If you had seen his biograph on PBS you would know that he is totaly devoted to Irish Dance and improving that rather stiff, no upper body movement type of dance into a more popular form of dance, which he did with Riverdance. He also hold the world record for being the fastest tap dancer in history.

I think he is a fantastic dancer and love his shows.

Nigel2
12-15-2001, 09:38 PM
Yeah one of the shows he did( I wish I could find the person that told me this because they know all about riverdance and such) actually was created by someone else and they were the original lead dancer then Mr. Flatley came along and took it to america and there is where it got more attention.

AnimeNut
12-16-2001, 01:52 AM
Hey, everybody!

It's 4:45 am, and I'm dead tired, but I just have to chime in on this. Riverdance was originally created by Michael Flatley. After getting fed up with higher-ups exercising their authority over the show, Michael left and started Lord of the Dance. To this day, there's a fairly strong rivalry between fans of Riverdance and Lord of the Dance. Sorta resembles Coke vs. Pepsi. Still, many people enjoy both shows.

In 1998, Flatley staged Feet of Flames, a one-time-only production in Hyde Park, London. It was basically Lord of the Dance with a few new numbers and different songs. The key difference was that the size of the troupe was basically tripled for this performance.

Feet of Flames 2000 was Michael's comeback tour. This show featured more significant changes to the original dance numbers, several entirely new sequences, and new characters. Fans could still spot the carry-overs from the previous 2 shows, of course. This same show toured the US in 2001. After the last performance, Flatley announced his definitive retirement.

The biography of Flatley's career that has aired on PBS several times is titled Michael Flatley: Gold. If you have only seen this on PBS, you must check out the recently released DVD of this program. PBS edited the show big-time, primarily cutting out a majority of the numbers from Feet of Flames 2000. I suspect this had something to do with the 2001 US leg of the tour.

I'm a huge fan of Lord of the Dance and its follow-ups. Epcot was lucky to have these talented dancers perform at the America Gardens Theatre for 2 consecutive summers. The Best of Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance was similar to The Power of Blast! in that both shows are 30-minute versions of the originals. One thing I enjoyed about LOTD at Epcot was how you had to attend the show more than once in order to see all of the numbers. There were 4 performances each day. The 1st and 3rd performances were identical to each other, while the 2nd and 4th shows matched. Does anybody know if The Power of Blast! features different numbers throughout the day? Or is the content of each show the same?

After The Power of Blast! eventually ends its run at the Hyperion, I would love to see The Best of Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance perform there. I know that a lot of people out there disagree with me, but that's quite all right.

Lost Boy
12-16-2001, 05:03 PM
Thank you for supporting my claim on this which certain people here just tend to ignore. Michael Flately created Riverdance and then Lord of the Dance. Period. There was no one before him. Period. It was and still is as far as many are concerned, his creation.

Nigel2
12-16-2001, 09:27 PM
I don't care, he still frightens me when he refuses to wear a shrit.:D

ChrisBlastGirl
01-03-2002, 08:34 PM
oh my god Blast is awsome. The cast is great and so nice. I saw the touring show with the dca cast and it was a lot of fun. I even have a fave guy. He maybe leaving for new york on mondaybut hey he is awsome.

Laura

Steps In Time was not a Waste of Time.

GoldenEars
01-04-2002, 07:31 PM
You're right, *Steps In Time* was not a waste of time! It was rather entertaining and the dance numbers were really good! They just needed to do something inbetween each number, cuz the Vera and Alex scenes were pretty lame. With the right amount of time/money, Disney could have turned that show into something really good. Oh well...

However, you can't compare *Steps* with BLAST...it's like apples and oranges, they're so different. But, I'm a huge fan of BLAST!! I find the show much more entertaining and those dancers have moves/looks that can melt you! Disney finally put a show in the Hyperion Theatre that is worthy of that structure!

Over all, if I had to choose between BLAST and *Steps*, I would obviously choose BLAST!:D

ChrisBlastGirl
01-05-2002, 09:32 PM
Your right we can't compare the too and your right if i had to choose I would choose Blast. If you couldn't tell

Laura

socabch
01-06-2002, 08:23 AM
re: B]Does anyone know the dates for the last showing of "Steps In Time" and the first for "Blast"?[/B]

A CM told me that Blast is there indfinitely at this time. It's a great show and they aren't going to mess up a good thing.

Techie7
01-06-2002, 08:25 AM
Hi I love Blast (And Believe). I can't find either one running according to the DLR website. :crying: Are they still running every day? They are listing all of the roaming acts now. Please say the show is still running. AHhhhhhh. Thanks & Happy New Year to everyone.

bluepearl
01-06-2002, 08:47 AM
Techie7: I find the official DLR website to be very difficult to navigate (and load, but that's another discussion topic), and unreliable when it comes to the live shows. :cough:Road Trip:cough: But anyhoo...since the last time I went (which was Friday), Blast is still running all days except Tuesdays. The general times are at 1:45, 3:15, 5:30, and 7:15. I can't remember if the times are different on the weekend, though, since I don't usually go on weekends.

Lost Boy
01-06-2002, 06:19 PM
When I was there on the weekend, Blast was sheduled for 11:15 am; 1:15; 3:30; and 5:30pm. So if this still holds true (I was there during the Christmas Season) they run the same number of shows on the weekend, but start and end earlier.
I have heard that Blast has been booked for an entire year run.
If things have changed since I was there, I am not aware of it.

LIMANDL4EVA
01-06-2002, 06:46 PM
i saw BLAST for the first time the otehr day, i am so speechless right now, there really are NO words to describe it, just absolutely phnomenal (if thats how you spell it):D :D :D :D :D :D

bluepearl
01-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Lost Boy: 11:15AM? Wow, that's really early. At least to me it is because I don't recall ever seeing that listing before. But I like that time - I love mornings at the parks.

LIMANDL4EVA: You must see the full version of Blast! I saw it this afternoon and was absolutely blown away! And interesting thing too - Kit (the first dueling drummer at DCA) is now with the touring cast and does just as great a job there. It was pretty nice to see a familiar face. I'm just about ready to go back to DCA to see that version!