PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Rod Return?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ace
12-11-2001, 03:17 PM
As I was at Disneyland last weekend, I took the train from Tommorowland to Main Street. I looked up and I saw (I have no idea what this building is... it's in Disneyland, in Tommorowland...) two guys working on a Rocket Rod. I couldn't really see what they were doing, since the train was moving, but I know for sure that it was a rocket rod. Could this be a sign?

zapppop
12-11-2001, 03:34 PM
they were probably dismantling it.

The Rocket Rods will not return unless they build a new track for the ride. The old PeopleMover track wasn't designed for RR so it's no wonder that they never worked.

They tried to get General Motors to sponsor the ride but they declined.

Anyway, I don't want to go too far into this right now but trust me, Rocket Rods will probably not come back.

DisneylandKid
12-11-2001, 04:56 PM
I would SING if the Rocket Rods came back...

zapppop
12-11-2001, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by DisneylandKid
I would SING if the Rocket Rods came back...

Is that a threat ?

tabacco
12-11-2001, 05:39 PM
Nah, don't count on it. I've seen 'em working on Rods from the monorail any number of times. As zapoppp said, they're probably dismantling them, or maybe getting another one ready to use at Hollywood and Dine :)

baileykat
12-11-2001, 05:41 PM
Rocekt Rods coming back....Is the end of the world near?????;)

Lost Boy
12-11-2001, 07:13 PM
Zapppop, where did you get that cool picture of Link. I love Elves, in case you hadn't noticed.

Ace
12-11-2001, 07:28 PM
there is a chance....a small one, but a chance nonetheless..... anyway... I hope they were taking it apart and building a peoplemover 2002 right behind it.... mmmmmm.... that would be cool.... and how much could it cost? THE TRACK IS THERE!!!!

bluepearl
12-11-2001, 09:08 PM
Last time I passed by Hollywood and Dine (which was last Saturday), they didn't have that Rocket Rod there anymore. Anyone know the story on that?

Nigel2
12-11-2001, 09:45 PM
They sold one on disney auctuions but it said it was a non working promo one, and its a different color I believe. But it would cost millions squink for them to put in any incarnation of the PM and technically the track isn't there only the supports. The rr track is there but no PM.

zapppop
12-11-2001, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
Zapppop, where did you get that cool picture of Link. I love Elves, in case you hadn't noticed.

I scanned it from a magazine.

Lost Boy
12-12-2001, 03:00 PM
Thanks. I will have to look for it. Now on to Rocket Rods.

In the original plans for this attraction the cars where supposed to have special lighting effects on them which would be seen under black light when the cars went thru the tunnels in the buildings. Budget cut by Pressler stopped that from happening. These special effects would have made it look as though the vehicle you where in was changing shape and color as they went thru the tunnels, which would have had mirrors on both sides so you see the changes. There was supposed to be special lighting outside at night also so the cars coming down the straightaway from the load station would appear to change color and shape to those guests on the ground who where watching the cars zoom by. More budget cuts stopped this effect. The beams where never strenghthend - budget cuts. The upper parts of many of the buildings where never repainted as planned - budget cuts. All by Pressler and crew.

The "New Tomorrowland" turned out to be only a small fraction of what was originally planned becuase Pressler just didn't get it. Now they have have land that for most of us is just boring and useless. That stupid fountain takes up to much space and does nothing to improve the land at all. In fact watching small naked kids run thru the water is not my idea of what I go to Disneyland for. And the smell of the chlorine is sometimes overpowering and reminds me of what the Boys Locker Room smelled like when I was in High School. It just doesn't belong there.

And due to outside problems, the Comunicatore thingee just never worked the way it was envisioned.

The old Carousel building actually turned out pretty much the way it was supposed to look, and the A/A figure is great (with Nathan Lane as the voice, how could it not?), its just that the inside didn't come off quite like they expected. They wanted Innoventions to be as great as the one in Florida, they just couldn't get all the cool companies to partake. And when GM left Rocket Rods mid-term, that spelled the end.

The new Autopis is ok. Not great, just ok. Looks better at night. I like the new cars, but the ride itself is nothing spectacular. Longer but not necessarily better.

bluepearl
12-12-2001, 03:24 PM
Erm...just commenting on the fountain thing in Tomorrowland. I can't believe it's got a name, "Cosmic Waves" and is considered an attraction in Tomorrowland. Am I the only one that finds that amusing in the sense that it doesn't have any attraction value to me?

Clint
12-12-2001, 03:32 PM
Sorry for getting all mad and stuff, but...
WHY DOES EVERYBODY HAVE TO BADMOUTH THE THINGS THAT I LIKE?!
Deep breath, Clint.
The Peoplemover closed when I was 10, and I never even knew that there were ever such attractions as "America Sings" and "Mission to Mars" until I read about them, and by then it was too late--they were gone.
So naturally when I found out about the new Tomorrowland set to open in 1998, I was excited. The old attractions were gone, but I could enjoy the new attractions to my heart's content. It no longer mattered that the slow Peoplemover was gone, I would get to ride its fast replacement, the Rocket Rods. Ignore the fact that it was dumb to use the very same track--was replacing a snail-paced ride that floated past a Tron scene with something that goes fast and is fun really a bad idea? I didn't think so.
For three years it was just an empty track. And now, again, it's an empty track. One that goes all around Tomorrowland. At least they removed the large pylons that held the skyway cable. But the Rocket Rods track is still there, still unused, still an eyesore. So forgive some of us who liked the ride for hoping that it will become more than that again.
Just lettin' ya know how I feel.

innerSpaceman
12-12-2001, 03:40 PM
It's ok to vent, Clint. Alot of that goes on around here. I will stand up and say that I liked Rocket Rods. I may have liked Peoplemover better, but I liked Rocket Rods. It's only the empty track I don't like. I'd settle for shopping carts along the track at this point, just get some vehicle rolling on the track or (dare I say it?) get rid of the track!

Personally I think they should just put Space Mountain in the middle of a field of dirt and see if anyone can distinguish between that and the Tomorrowland of 2001.

Clint
12-12-2001, 03:54 PM
And even then, Space Mountain doesn't even have it's soundtrack working! Sheesh!
Or does it? I've had more than one ride when the soundtrack copped out, and that severely disappoints me, because for me, the music makes that ride.
Same with Screamin'. Bores me without the music. Fix it, people!
Hey, innerspaceman, why did you like Peoplemover better than Rocket Rods? Was it that you enjoyed getting views of Tomorrowland from up high? I can understand that, even though I don't feel the same way. For me, "speeding into the future" was my idea of ideal. Tomorrowland was my land, once. My portrait of victory, freedom, beauty, and promise. Now Soarin' Over California does that for me.

Ace
12-12-2001, 04:08 PM
the peoplemover track isn't there, I know....but the RR track is, and the imagineers could EASILY make a ride that would run on that track and function at the same time. why would they leave it there? things that are gone are usually completely gone unless there's gonna be something done with them in the future...

zapppop
12-12-2001, 04:24 PM
I couldn't agree with you more about the music. One of the cast members in DCA told me that they don't turn on the audio for all of the coasters. Sometimes they just pull another one onto the track and they don't bother to turn on the audio because the lines are getting longer and they don't want to take the time to do it. A new sound system was supposed to be installed in Space Mountain in DL but it went to DCA for California Screamin' to save money building the new park. The next time Space Mountain is closed for a rehab it's supposed to get the new sound system ( remember; I said supposed to not definitely )

What was nice about the PeopleMover was that it gave you a peaceful tour of Tomorrowland. It was appropriate for people of all ages and it gave you a good 10 minutes of sitting ( great for those people who get tired quickly ). Plus the wait was only about 10 minutes max and it would help soak up the crowds. Rocket Rods, by comparison, wasn't as good because it took 2 hours to get on it and it only lasted 2 minutes. It was fun but it was the same as the peoplemover and , was it really worth a 2 hour wait ?

Ralph Wiggum
12-12-2001, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
I couldn't agree with you more about the music. One of the cast members in DCA told me that they don't turn on the audio for all of the coasters. Sometimes they just pull another one onto the track and they don't bother to turn on the audio because the lines are getting longer and they don't want to take the time to do it. A new sound system was supposed to be installed in Space Mountain in DL but it went to DCA for California Screamin' to save money building the new park. The next time Space Mountain is closed for a rehab it's supposed to get the new sound system ( remember; I said supposed to not definitely )

What was nice about the PeopleMover was that it gave you a peaceful tour of Tomorrowland. It was appropriate for people of all ages and it gave you a good 10 minutes of sitting ( great for those people who get tired quickly ). Plus the wait was only about 10 minutes max and it would help soak up the crowds. Rocket Rods, by comparison, wasn't as good because it took 2 hours to get on it and it only lasted 2 minutes. It was fun but it was the same as the peoplemover and , was it really worth a 2 hour wait ?

WHOA....did someone take over Zapppop's name...TWO WHOLE PARAGRAPHS!!!! Awesome.

As for your views on the peoplemover. Your right on the button. It really was great for everyone and it was perfect for relaxing. I miss the Tron part soo much too. That was really fun even though it was such a short part of the ride. I really hope they get the peoplemover style back up there in the skys of Tomorrowland!

zapppop
12-12-2001, 04:33 PM
I know Ralph !
I've been posting a bunch of short liners in the lounge lately but if you find the right subject, I'll type !

The Tron part was cool. So what if it's not the latest in computer effects; looking and sounding dated is underrated :cool:

innerSpaceman
12-12-2001, 04:38 PM
Clint -- Zapppop summed it up perfectly about the appeal of the Peoplemover. I also appreciate the appeal of the Rocket Rods (though the wait time of over-an-hour vs. less-than-a-minute dimmed that appeal considerably). Too bad we can't have both. Way too bad that we have neither.

mrfantasmic
12-12-2001, 05:25 PM
From what I heard, Cynthia Harris (I think that's her name) liked the atmosphere that Rocket Rods created.
Now think about it:
The Track for the Rocket Rods doesn't need that much done to it. It would mostly cost for the money that would be spent on concrete.
Wait.
Concrete would be the most expensive thing.
Just manipulate the track to have a bank, and you've go a ride.
Come on Pressler, get the picture.
We need more E-ticket thrills in that land.

Ace
12-12-2001, 05:50 PM
that land has the most e-tickets of any land....2....but that's about all it has. Star Tours (which could easily be improved with new movies! it wouldn't cost that much, since nothing would have to be changed physically....)...and space mountain.... Peoplemover ruled, for all the reasons that Zappop said.... and returning it wouldn't be that hard!

jake99
12-12-2001, 06:32 PM
i just had a good idea what if they put something like a futustic teacup like looking carts maybe a flying saucer that went around the track and plus that way you could twirl it around at your own pace to look around all over tomorroland and see everything instead of tweaking your neck

innerSpaceman
12-12-2001, 07:39 PM
Just make sure the vehicle makes a cool whooojshing sound as it goes by. The thing I miss most about Rocket Jets was the sound, just how that whizzing jetsons sound contributed to the futureopolis atmosphere. Without it, TLand is as much of a ghost town as it ever was during all those years when we were wishing for a rehab.

(be careful what you wish for)