PDA

View Full Version : Transportation from LAX?

TraceyMcF
01-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Do I need to pre-book transportation from LAX to our hotel (BW Park Place), or should we just wing it and find transportation when we get there? Any suggestions for a moderately cheap, moderately fast trip with three excited kids? TIA for any help.

TempoNZ
01-07-2005, 02:01 AM
IF I was you I would pre book. It's just nice to get off a plane knowing it's all sorted out. There are plenty of shuttle services to DL from LAX and some of them will offer a cheaper deal if you go with them both ways etc. The other option of course is hiring a car which actually could end up cheaper depending on the number of you in the party etc.

Darkbeer
01-07-2005, 05:15 AM
The Cheapest choice is the Airport Bus...

http://www.airportbus.com/lax.htm

But as mentioned above, getting a rental car could be cheaper, depending on the size of your family...

http://www.hotwire.com/

Plus you could go to the grocery store, etc... or take a visit to Knott's for a day...

disneyhound
01-07-2005, 06:24 AM
I have pre-booked my ground transportion before, but the last few years I have just grabbed the first shuttle available. But, we fly in and out of John Wayne, a lot less folks in the way... When you pre-book, you just get a voucher to hand the driver, instead of cash, and you may save a couple bucks!

sediment
01-07-2005, 07:21 AM
See FAQ answer #1 in my sig.

80S ERA
01-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Supershuttle is another option. They have reasonable rates, especially if you're being dropped at a hotel.

Keep in mind that when you use a van shuttle, the driver will try to pack all of you like sardines in order to get his money's worth. :mad: Trust me, I fly all the time and there's nothing I hate more than some smelly stranger crammed up next to me.

Disney_Nut
01-08-2005, 10:51 AM
80s Era, I know what you mean. :) On my last trip, the person sitting next to me must not have showered for a week! On the plus side, $15 for SuperShuttle is better than $80 for a taxi.

Stupid_American
01-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Don't know if they offer kid's rates.
If not, SS will be $15 X 5, or $75.
Airport bus would be $15 X 2, plus $9 X 3, for $57.
For the $20 more, I would go with SS.

I don't believe SS takes reservations out of LAX.
In any case, one isn't needed.
Shuttles to the Disneyland area fill quickly.
When I use them to get to Tustin, it's often with a load of Disney guests.

GrumpyUTboi
01-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Why would anyone want to fly into a mess such as LAX. I have drink myself into a stuper especially after what happened to my dads best friend, son. His plane was sitting on the runway waiting to take off whe a big jumbo jet landed on top of their plane. To much congestion and way to crowded for my taste.

CrazyTrain
01-08-2005, 01:41 PM
As far as I know, neither SS or Primetime (the other shared van service at LAX) has children's rates. However, kids under 2 ride free on Primetime (don't know about SS). Both take reservations and prepayment as well. I'd also say: Expect to wait. I've used them three times total, and each time I've had to wait at least 15 minutes for the van to show up. Though maybe going to such a popular place, they'll have more vans :)

sediment
01-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Why would anyone want to fly into a mess such as LAX. I have drink myself into a stuper especially after what happened to my dads best friend, son. His plane was sitting on the runway waiting to take off whe a big jumbo jet landed on top of their plane. To much congestion and way to crowded for my taste.
Yeah, that stuff happens every day.
Sometimes the choice is between non-stop and two-stops. OC doesn't go that many places non-stop, and even you seem to realize that the more times you land and take off, the more risk there is.

junecleaver
01-08-2005, 02:21 PM
As far as I know, neither SS or Primetime (the other shared van service at LAX) has children's rates. However, kids under 2 ride free on Primetime (don't know about SS).

Is a car seat provided or do you bring your own? Is their any transport that supplies a car seat? I know on an actual bus one isn't necessary (or safer I hear) but I would need one for car or van transport.

Mark099
01-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Look at renting a car. For the cost of a return trip for 4 or 5 people on a shuttle/bus you could rent a car for 6-7 days.

Wendi
01-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Super Shuttle is a dollar cheaper than Airport Bus. Kids 3 & under (or under 3, can't remember) are free. You will have to bring your own carseat I think, but I'm pretty sure you can let SS know ahead of time if you will need one and they will bring one for you (there is probably a fee involved for this, not sure - not even sure if they still do this).

CrazyTrain
01-09-2005, 06:19 PM
I don't travel with little kids so I don't know the policies...
Take a look around
primetimeshuttle.com (http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/)
and
supershuttle.com (http://www.supershuttle.com/)
and see if it gives more info. :)

TraceyMcF
01-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Thank you all for your help. Luckily we don't need carseats, and are only coming for 6 days, to do Disney exclusively, so won't need a rental either. Thanks again.