PDA

View Full Version : Disney's 2004 Annual Report - Attendance at Disneyland "remained flat"

Darkbeer
01-06-2005, 05:57 PM
I was reading the 2004 financials of the WDC Annual Report released today...

http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/annual_reports/2004/index.html

(Only posting Disneyland related info)

Revenues at Parks and Resorts increased 21%, or $1.3 billion, to $7.8 billion... $609 million from the Walt Disney World Resort, and $95 million from the Disneyland Resort.

At the Disneyland Resort, increased revenues were primarily due to higher guest spending at the theme parks and hotel properties.

Across our domestic theme parks, attendance increased 7% and per capita guest spending increased 6% compared to the prior year. Attendance and per capita guest spending at the Walt Disney World Resort increased 10% and 4%, respectively. Attendance at the Disneyland Resort remained flat while per capita guest spending increased 7%.

So, could the AB/ERA numbers be wrong?, heck this is the OFFICIAL document from Disney and is regulated by the SEC....

sediment
01-06-2005, 07:48 PM
I thought that was brought up in the October fiscal year-ending release.
DLr was flat, because of fewer discount promotions. AP prices went up twice, so there was probably some fallout there. But the per capita revenue went up, and that's good. People spending more money in the park, or people spending more money to get into the park. Apparently the vacancy rates or discount deals are down (which is good).
And do remember that a lot of people were put off by the scaffolding of the castle. I think it hurt a lot worse than expected, even though it had to be done. (Otherwise there would have been big holes where the speakers were put in, and people would wonder about the holes, and people would be taking pictures all the time. You know the types. Darkbeer.)

Darkbeer
01-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Amusement Business/Economics Research Associates reported a 5% increase at Disneyland and a 6% increase at DCA....

Now, the AB/ERA numbers are on a calendar year (1/1/04 thru 12/31/04) while the WDC Fiscal year is 10/1/03 thru 9/30/04.

But after hearing Tom Staggs comments about the DLR attendance being down during the summer of 2004, I think that Amusement Business made a mistake with the DLR numbers, but seems to hit the mark at WDW...

AaronInCal
01-07-2005, 02:00 AM
Hasn't it been brought up before that the AB numbers for theme parks are not always accurate??

marktips
01-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Hasn't it been brought up before that the AB numbers for theme parks are not always accurate??

Yup, last year it under estimated Epcot's Christmas to New Years attendance which actually raised its numbers for the whole year.