PDA

View Full Version : To pin or not to pin--that is the question

Pages : [1] 2

yummy mummy
01-06-2005, 12:01 PM
My family and I are going to DL in March and I was wondering what the pin trading thing is all about. Do you buy pins and then trade them? Do you wear them? If you buy them, then trade them why not just buy the one you want in the first place. Who do you trade with? Strangers? Cast Memebers? Retail Stores? I assume it is only DL pins that are traded. Could someone please explain the concept to me and any details that will help.
Thanks
Eye hem sew stew peed

Niwel
01-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Many people wear their pins on lanyards to trade with other guests or CMs. For info on trading go here (http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/page?id=getStarted).
Some have binders full of pins and sit near one of pin areas to trade their wares -- pin for pin, no cash allowed. Others wear it on hats or vests or backpacks.
Some people buy every pin out there. Some buy a certain style (i.e. glow in the dark), attraction (i.e. Space Mountain), character (i.e., Tinker Bell), film (i.e. "Lilo and Stitch") or location (i.e. all Adventureland-related pins). There are limited editions pins that they only make a certain amount of -- and open edition that they have more of. It depends how much you want to spend. I have three few different lanyards: one with Mary Poppins and Cruise Line Pins, one with Chanukah pins and one with other pins I have a special fondness for (like the bedknobs and broomstick anniversary pin). But i don't trade -- I keep.

Good tip: pick an abstract character or film -- much cheaper to buy all the pins associated with it.

There are also special "kid lanyards" that come with pins to trade on them.

01-06-2005, 12:29 PM
My 7th grader has a small pin collection, based on one visit to Disneyland. She chose to specialize in pins with moving parts. She puts them on her backpack.

yummy mummy
01-06-2005, 12:35 PM
There are also special "kid lanyards" that come with pins to trade on them.

Where might I find one of these? What age is it suitable for?

Niwel
01-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Any pin cart or store that sells pins at the resort has them (Emporium, pin cart at the plaza, World of Disney, Greetings From California)- I don't know how much they are, though... they do have a few different styles: Buzz, Princess, I think there is a Pooh or Mickey.

Anyone who has one feel free to chime in...

Vegitabeta
01-06-2005, 12:46 PM
I have 4 lanyards:

1 from DL
1 from DLP
and 2 from WDW

I don't actually trade, just buy the ones I want in the first place :p

mystycalchyk
01-06-2005, 12:53 PM
I swore I would never get into the pin thing, and then ...well...it happened. I have a lanyard (I mainly have Mickey/Disneyland/Tink/Walt stuff.) I only trade if I somehow have two of the same. I only buy the ones I like. I have a small shadowbox at home with probably 30 or so pins. I'm not into it hardcore. It's too expensive. However, hubby is always on the hunt for any 'Herbie' pins (we have 4) but other than that we dont do it alot.

yummy mummy
01-06-2005, 12:55 PM
If someone asks you to trade do you have to? What if they want one you want to keep?

01-06-2005, 12:57 PM
If someone asks you to trade do you have to?

Of course not.

disney jones
01-06-2005, 12:57 PM
the only benefit to trading is that there have been a ton of cool pins made in the last 10 years that are no longer on sale. Any CM will trade you 1 for 1, so we usually pick up a few copies of my girls' favorites (the cheapest ones they have, not the more expensive ones), then spend some time looking at CMs's lanyards. More often than not, we see a cool one they have that isn't in the stores, so we simply trade for it. The CM has to accept the pin you're giving them, and have to give up the one you want as long it's on their trading lanyard.

the mad hatter
01-06-2005, 01:04 PM
If someone asks you to trade do you have to? What if they want one you want to keep?

Well you can do one of two things. You can beat them at a game of rock paper scissors (rps), or beat them in an all out sprint from NOS to the Matterhorn. I perfer the latter. :D

Surfingstitch
01-06-2005, 01:52 PM
II have a small shadowbox at home with probably 30 or so pins.

That is such a good idea.

I think I might do that with my pins.

Surfingstitch
01-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Where are the rules for pin trading in DL.

I can't seem to locate them.
ie: types of pins you can trade, DL only, Disney Store, WDW

ToursbabeC3po
01-06-2005, 01:58 PM
I have to admit I am a big pin trading geek! I love it! Me and my daughter do it together....We like TInkerbell, nightmare, cricket, and lanyard series pins.....Oh and now we are getting into the princesses. It is something fun we can do together. I recently as a cast member got the pin trading award pin which was so cool I had no ideal they had that but I hear the pin is in high demand even though I would never trade it. IT is a lot of fun and if you have kids I suggest you do it it teaches them manners and how to communicate with other people.
((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))
toursbabe

Niwel
01-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Check the link in message #2. :)

Surfingstitch
01-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks!!!

lisap
01-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I made a pin board for my girls by buying a small bulletin board and attaching a big square of felt to it, then lining the edges of the felt with rick-rack to be festive. ;) The pins are easy to see and easy to remove to put on their lanyards to go to the Park.

The girls like to wear their lanyards and trade with CMs--they don't have a ton of them, but if we spot a cute one, we buy them. No particular rhyme or reason.

Flint
01-06-2005, 02:44 PM
everytime I think of collecting anything, all I have to do is remember the absolute hysteria that was Beany Babies. I remember cow-orkers yapping about it constantly about them, and how "this is my retirement money," or "this is my daughter's education fund."

And then BOOM. Market gone, lots of unthinking people stuck with $0.05 stuffed animals that they spent a fortune on.

Kind of sums up pins for me.
I have only a few... the characters that I relate to.

And that's it.

SoCalDude
01-06-2005, 02:45 PM
for the kids lanyards - some CMs have "kid only lanyards" - I think the color is different or something. So if your kid does not have a lanyard - get them one.

And many of the CMs have CM only pins and some are really cool. I got this pin from a CM a while back:
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=6524&sid=2299.1105054616.v3

That pic rocks, lol - where else can you get a pin of a trash can? And the little door really swings LOL.

We have a lanyard - only wear it every so often. One side is just for show, the other side is for trading - be prepared for people to come up to you and want to trade... it happens often. And the CMs get kinda mad if you just stare at their chest, lol - so say hi first and ask if you can see what they have.

Check out this site:
http://dizpins.com/

lots of good info on the pins there and nice people to help you get started.

rentayenta
01-06-2005, 02:46 PM
I am afraid I would have to take out a loan once I got started. My oldest DD wants to collect now after she saw the Coaster clan's collection of pins. Guess what Coaster better get her for her birthday? ;)

wenderella
01-06-2005, 02:52 PM
I too said that I would never trade pins, and I myself actually do not. But my kids started and you'd better take this warning.....IT'S ADDICTING! There is the Premier Pin Trading shop in Tomorrowland that you must visit. Before they started working on the Buzz Astro-blaster ride in Tomorrowland you could go there and take a "class" which tought you just about everything about trading. I would highly suggest this if you still can. Now earlier last year they said that they would be shutting the store down because of the work on the ride. However, when we returned a month or so later, it was still there. At this class, they gave each child 2 pins and allowed them to trade after the class was over. It was very informative and great for the kids. I would agree that it gets the kids talking to cast members and other Disneyland guests about their pins. I've learned a lot...but like I say..you find yourself telling your kids...."NO! Don't trade that pin. Remember, it's a LE, or a Cast Member pin", or something like that. Have fun. Definitely do it it! It's a blast!

Surfingstitch
01-06-2005, 02:56 PM
I have to weed out my collection.

I have so many odds and ends.

rentayenta
01-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey Stitch, weed your pins out over this way :D

yummy mummy
01-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the lanyards? I dont even know what a lanyard is :D. Maybe that isn't a common term here.

Forget it I just found one on an above link but its still loading.

CoasterChickie
01-06-2005, 07:43 PM
I am afraid I would have to take out a loan once I got started. My oldest DD wants to collect now after she saw the Coaster clan's collection of pins. Guess what Coaster better get her for her birthday? ;)

I was going to take every single pin our family owns (I think there are about 60 total) and put them on my Disney sweatshirt before my sister arrived to pick me up, but I was afraid she would drive away and leave me sitting there on the curb!! (LOL)

The Disney packages used to come with a lanyard with two pins for each guest. Now they only come with one. I love the pins for souvenirs because they're only about $7.00 a piece and they don't take up much room.

I think I paid $11.00 for a plain colored kid size lanyard that had a plastic Mickey ticket holder on it. The longer lanyards that come with 5 pins on them are $25.00 so they're a good deal.