PDA

View Full Version : California Adventure Opens...what do you do?

Poster_SF
01-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey,

Headed down to the resort in April. I already have a game plan for when DL opens....fast pass Indiana and go straight to Splash. But what should the game plan be for CA? It is hard bc all of the rides are SO spread out. How do you take advantage of those first few minutes. I was thinking, Fast Pass TOT, then run to CA Screamin...advice?

dlandnut
01-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Hit Soarin' first and ride it again, if possible. Head to TOT, then California Screamin'. Stop and get a corn dog and savor the taste. :)

disneyperson
01-06-2005, 11:56 AM
California Adventure opens....what do you do?
Nothing, I'm already in Disneyland and not about to leave.(sorry, couldn't resist)
Seriously though, even I've been known to venture over there for a quick drop on the TOT or to soar over California. But that's about it.

CrazyTrain
01-06-2005, 12:00 PM
We always hit Soarin' first!

Niwel
01-06-2005, 12:26 PM
We always hit Soarin' first!

No doubt, Soarin -- followed by TOT or FP for Screamin'

Disneyland4Jamy
01-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Soarin' Over CA is a beautiful way to start your day. Personally, I ride Tower of Terror BEFORE eating lunch or any meal! :p

disneyperson
01-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Soarin' Over CA is a beautiful way to start your day. Personally, I ride Tower of Terror BEFORE eating lunch or any meal! :p
I would agree, but last December my roller coaster enthusiast co-worker rode Soarin' on my recomendation and told me it made her nauseous! Something about the perspective and the smells. And she travels all over the country to ride the biggest baddest coasters as soon as they are built. My daughter had a similar reaction to Soarin'. weird.

MrsG
01-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah, but all you have to do is close your eyes on Soarin' if you feel woozie. That doesn't work on the coaster rides!

mystycalchyk
01-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Definately get a fast pass to use for later for Soarin' and get in line and ride it first.

Then do ToT and if you're not into it (or not everyone in your party is into it) go to the animation building in the backlot. Sit on a couch and just feel the magic there. Then, catch at least one (if not more) shows of D.U.H. (also in the backlot).

Then head to Screamin', (on the way do the Boudin Bakery tour and the Mission Tortilla tours - good for snacking) grab a fast pass for Screamin (again for later) and get in line. Twice. Ride the SunWheel (red car only). Continue walking around that way and grab a corn dog.

(If it's hot to GRR, if not skip it) Then use your Soarin' fast pass and kill some time till time for the Electrical Parade. (maybe time to dig out that extra Screamin Fast Pass or maybe stroll through Bugs Land).
Grab a soup bowl and nab a bench to wait for the parade across the water from Screamin' (best view of the lights while youre waiting IMO).

The End

the mad hatter
01-06-2005, 01:07 PM
If it's a hot day I'd hit Soarin', get a FP for GRR, and then hit TOT.

disney jones
01-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Ride the SunWheel (red car only).
What's with the red car? :confused: Is it one of the swinging ones? :D
or fixed ones? :geek:

mystycalchyk
01-06-2005, 01:41 PM
:eek: No swingey cars, they are evil. The red cars are stationary.

Surfingstitch
01-06-2005, 01:50 PM
The swinging can make you really sick if you are tired.

disney jones
01-06-2005, 01:59 PM
i prefer the swinging cars, but there are two things i like about the stationary cars
1. the line usualluy isn't as long
2. they'll stop at the very top of the ride. (the swinging ones don't)

Merm8fan
01-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Definately get a fast pass to use for later for Soarin' and get in line and ride it first.

Then do ToT and if you're not into it (or not everyone in your party is into it) go to the animation building in the backlot. Sit on a couch and just feel the magic there. Then, catch at least one (if not more) shows of D.U.H. (also in the backlot).

Then head to Screamin', (on the way do the Boudin Bakery tour and the Mission Tortilla tours - good for snacking) grab a fast pass for Screamin (again for later) and get in line. Twice. Ride the SunWheel (red car only). Continue walking around that way and grab a corn dog.

(If it's hot to GRR, if not skip it) Then use your Soarin' fast pass and kill some time till time for the Electrical Parade. (maybe time to dig out that extra Screamin Fast Pass or maybe stroll through Bugs Land).
Grab a soup bowl and nab a bench to wait for the parade across the water from Screamin' (best view of the lights while youre waiting IMO).

The End

Ditto to all of the above, and Amen! Soarin' has the longer lines - I have walked right on to ToT more times than I can count. You really shouldn't even need to "waste" a FP on it. Absolutely do not miss D.U.H.

(But if you have never tried the purple cars on the SunWheel, try it! You only live once, and it is a very unique ferris wheel experience.)

CoasterChickie
01-06-2005, 07:47 PM
You can FP Soarin' and head to TOT or fast pass TOT and head to Soarin' or you could just head to the back of the park and do California Screamin' first thing!!! :D

If you're a glutton for punishment you could just ride the Grizzly over and over and over again. If it's a cold winter day, I'm sure there won't be a line! :~D

HorizonsA
01-06-2005, 08:26 PM
or FP for Screamin'

You don't even need a FastPass for California Screamin'. The line goes so fast anyway. The only FastPass worthy attraction in Soarin' Over California because that is one ride that is truly a "must-see".

Disneyfreak
01-06-2005, 10:07 PM
"California Adventure Opens...what do you do?"

Gawk at the fact that it is a cheap park. :~D

Melaniee
01-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Head to the train car for some of their yummy coffee so I can stay awake for the visit to Bug Land.

I DO like TOT, though. :)

You know how they say no photographs...I'd love to have one of the view when the doors open. Not going to try it, but that would be awesome!

5hr drive
01-07-2005, 04:36 AM
Soarin', ToT, Screamin', GRR (if it's a hot day)

I usually do fastpass for all of these and while waiting for my FP time I;

1. Go sit in the lobby of the Animation building...good show that takes 15-20 minutes to repeat.

2. Watch "One Man's Dream" in Animation Building.

3. See MuppetVision 3D...Always see something I haven't noticed before.

4. Catch Aladdin show at Hyperion Theater

5. Catch the band that plays on the little stage between GRR and bridge to the Grand Californian. Can't remember their name but they're pretty funny.

6. Go sit in one of the extra comfy chairs in the lobby of the Grand Californian and pretend I'm rich for 15 minutes or so.

Hope this helps...

jrad32
01-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Ah a best way to visit DCA thread. Let me give you a version of my famous "best ways to see and do everything worth doing at DCA"

1. Go on Soarin.
2. Visit the animation building.
3. Go on TOT if you are into thrill rides.
4. See Bugs Life, unless you've already seen it in which case pass.

There, you have completed your fun-filled day at Disney's Crappy Adventure, and it's probably only 1 p.m.

sediment
01-07-2005, 07:33 AM
There, you have completed your fun-filled day at Disney's Crappy Adventure, and it's probably only 1 p.m.
"1PM"? How slow do you walk?

80S ERA
01-07-2005, 09:21 AM
I haven't been to DCA early in awhile, but last time I went shortly after opening, half the park was still closed. There was a rope right before Grizzly Rapids to block the path going to Paridise Pier. All of us had to sit there and wait until the rope dropped :rolleyes: . Soarin was the only thing open in the whole park, I believe.

Does DCA still open only partially?

JosieGirl71
01-07-2005, 10:12 AM
When we visited DCA, we did the rides/shows as follows:

1. Soarin'
2. California Screamin'
3. Maliboomer (twice)
4. Tower of Terror
5. Grizzly River Rapids
6. It's a Bug's Life

We did lunch somewhere in there. We came back in the evening and did the bakery tour and the tortilla tour and the kids got to play in the wilderness thing (can't remember the name).

It is definitely not DL and I think it is more geared toward teens and 20-somethings but we really liked it. We really enjoyed the rides and can't wait to go back so we can take in the rest of the park. (I can hear sediment's response now... ;) )

sediment
01-07-2005, 10:42 AM
(And here it comes...) But you've seen it all already!