PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland for non-Disney folks?

5hr drive
01-06-2005, 03:58 AM
My wife and I (both Disney-lovers and AP's) are thinking about inviting my parents to DL in April. I'm looking for suggestions as to what rides, shows, restaurants, etc. appeal the most to non-Disney fans. My folks are in their 70's and travel a lot, but never to a Disney theme park. If this goes well in April, we're hoping it leads to a WDW trip for the whole family this fall. Any suggestions? :confused:

01-06-2005, 05:40 AM
My husband is as non-Disney as it gets.

Things Mr. 3894 enjoyed most at Disneyland:
People watching - especially the fun and silly hats
Mr. Lincoln
Pirates of the Caribbean
Jungle Boat Cruise
parades
fireworks over the castle
going early in the day, leaving the park just after lunch to go back to the hotel for a swim, returning to the park for dinner, parades, fireworks

disney jones
01-06-2005, 05:44 AM
i'd take them on whatever you both enjoy :)

rentayenta
01-06-2005, 06:00 AM
Like 3894's hubby, mine is not a Disney fan. He really likes DCA however. I'd spend some time there with them.

Stupid_American
01-06-2005, 06:12 AM
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, at the Golden Horseshoe

http://homepage.mac.com/stupid_american/disneyphotos/images/15.jpg

millionairegirl
01-06-2005, 06:21 AM
Go midweek during off season. My husband hates Disney because of the crowds.

TikiGeek
01-06-2005, 06:52 AM
...appeal the most to non-Disney fans. My folks are in their 70's and travel a lot, but never to a Disney theme park.
In addition to the great suggestions above:

It's A Small World
Listen to the Dapper Dans sing
Listen to the world's greatest ragtime piano player - Rod Miller
Walt's Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room (if it's open)
Haunted Mansion
Blue Bayou Restaurant

I could go on but I think you all will find the magic when you go ;)

the mad hatter
01-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Spend the whole day at toontown.

....okay, so that wouldn't be good. just stick to the easy going rides like POTC, HM, JC, etc. They probably wouldn't like the fast rides...Indy, BTMRR, etc.

merlinjones
01-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Take them on a normal, fun-filled experience at Disneyland - without the rushing and hassles (don't try to go from open to close, for example - or go on rides that don't appeal to them) - - go on a slower day - stop to smell the flowers, tour the incredible art direction and detail of the park and eat a nice, slow meal at an atmospheric restaurant - - Their hidden inner-child will emerge - sometimes more quickly than you would know...

I don't find that DCA connects to non-Disney lovers any more than it does to Disney-lovers. It's ugly in either language.

Let the magic of Disneyland speak for itself - - stay mellow and upbeat and be a guide back to their youthful exhuberance with no stress, no fuss, no hassle (not possible at WDW, which is heavy hassle no matter how you slice it). :)

CoasterChickie
01-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Spend the whole day at toontown.

That's funny! :D

I like all the suggestions here. Are your folks mellow or rowdy? My sister's FIL who is in his lat 60's wanted to go on the Maliboomer and California Screamin'. He even requested the front seat!!

Stupid_American
01-06-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm with the TikiGeek and merlinjones.
Have meal at an atmospheric restaurant, the Blue Bayou.

Be sure to call (714) 781-3463 and make a reservation.
When you confirm, ask for a "waterfront" table.
It's worth the little extra wait.

First timers always love it.

5hr drive
01-06-2005, 09:36 AM
My dad's mellow, and he gets bored quickly, mom's more likely to enjoy herself and go with the flow. I appreciate all the suggestions, especially about taking it slow, going when crowds are lighter, enjoying the atmosphere, etc. Mom will love all the flowers and the Dapper Dan's, Rod Miller and so on. I guess if Dad turns into a fuddy-duddy we'll just drop him off at ESPN Zone and pick him up later, he'd love that!! Thank you all...keep the suggestions coming!

disneyperson
01-06-2005, 09:50 AM
The suggestion about the Billy Hill show is a good one. We caught it for the first time in years last December. Both my 15 year old daughter and I loved it. Sooooo funny. We also can spend hours listening to Rod Miller. He's such a nice man and a great musician. We chatted with him while he tuned his piano,he remembered us from our last visit! If they like Big Band music you might want to take a break in the evening to listen to one of the great swing bands and watch the dancing for a while in the evening.
As others have said, just go with the flow and let the magic find you.

Pammer
01-06-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm with the TikiGeek and merlinjones.
Have meal at an atmospheric restaurant, the Blue Bayou.

Be sure to call (714) 781-3463 and make a reservation.
When you confirm, ask for a "waterfront" table.
It's worth the little extra wait.

First timers always love it.

I went to the Blue Bayou for the first time in December...the atmosphere is so terrific, especially with the PotC boats going by. I recommend that you make a lunch reservation for when they first open and then check-in about 15 minutes beforehand and ask for the 'waterfront' table when you check-in. They appear to seat everyone in the waterside row first.

I also recommend that you bring a mini-flashlight with you to help you read the menu, as it's quite dark inside! ;)