PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach Airport transportation advice needed

seattlemouse
01-05-2005, 07:01 PM
We're flying into Long Beach and staying at the Howard Johnson in Anaheim. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to and from Long Beach. We want direct service, either a taxi or a town car, no buses or shared vans.

The quote we got from Super Shuttle for a town car is $66 each way. Would a taxi be the same price or more?

Our flight home is at 5:20pm on a Monday. What is traffic like at about 3pm from Anaheim to Long Beach? What it Long Beach Airport's security like? Basically, if I have a 5:20pm flight out of Long Beach, what time should I leave Anaheim?

Thanks a lot for any advice you could offer me!

sleepyjeff
01-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I would think Taxi would be a little less actually.

tlovesdis
01-05-2005, 07:50 PM
We just flew into LB in December. It is great! Very small and easy to get in and out of. We got a limo from www.styluslimo.com. The owner, Jerry, was great. There were six of us and it was $60 each way.

We had a 6pm flight and we left the Disneyland Hotel at 3:30. It only took us like 30 minutes to get there. There was hardly any traffic at all.

Hope this helps!

sediment
01-05-2005, 08:08 PM
See FAQ #1 in my sig.

Are you trying to save $5 or $10? Divided by 6? Out of how much you're spending on this trip?
Just wondering where your priorities are.

SuperShuttle has town cars? I did not know that. I find it hard to believe, too.
Long Beach is a good aternative, if you're coming from somewhere JetBlue flies. And, there are many alternative routes from LB to DL, so the variance of time traveled should be pretty low. I wouldn't have left at 4:30 for that 6:00 flight, though.
I'm not sure about the security wait time, though. It depends a lot on how the airport is configured. For example, at Burbank, Southwest has a big wing mostly to itself, and the security line is usually packed. United, Alaska, and some others are in another, smaller wing, and the security wait time is usually quite low.

Stupid_American
01-06-2005, 06:41 AM
The shared vans don't take that long to get to Disneyland.
In fact, many fill will PAX heading to the resort area (at least fro LAX).

If you just don't like riding with others, maybe Disneyland's not your best bet! :D

I'd hate to speculate on the ride back.
I know that heading south from Long Beach, 3 PM is pushing the sanity window cut-off.
Never headed north at that time.

rentayenta
01-06-2005, 07:44 AM
I am from that neck of the woods and you can get to LGB by not taking the freeway. Any cabbie in the area will be able to bypass the traffic by taking side streets.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Congratulations. I think you'll find Long Beach to be one of the few airports that can truly be described as "charming." Where John Wayne Airport tore down the historic Eddie Martin terminal building once the present enormous eyesore was open, Long Beach did a museum-quality restoration on theirs (and indeed, the second-floor lobby, leading to the restaurant, is an exhibit gallery). Incidentally, the JetBlue boarding lounge has a fairly large model of an early airliner hanging under a skylight.

But be prepared to use a boarding ladder: LGB does not have Jetways, and (at least unless it's pouring rain), I, for one, like it that way.

seattlemouse
01-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks to the people who gave me helpful replies, I really appreciate kind, thoughful people who give great advice.

I'm looking forward to Long Beach. Last time we flew into Long Beach but my airline rerouted us to Orange County for the trip home. I like the vintage feeling of Long Beach. I've heard a lot of people call it LA's best kept secret. However since I've only flow in once I still don't know the ins and outs of Long Beach.

Thanks!