PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Survival Lessons: In the rain.

Pages : [1] 2

Captain Josh
01-05-2005, 05:04 PM
So, out of an excess of bravado and promises in need of keeping, I've agreed to take my friends out to the old Disneyland park this Saturday. According to the weather reports, which I check every day just to make sure, this Saturday is looking progressively worse as I check each report...

So, out of a bizzare mix of hubris, arrogance, and insanity, I came to a command decision. We're going to Disneyland this weekend, rain or shine. Then it hits me, I have no idea what it's going to be like, and I hate getting wet. So I look to you, MousePad, my Disney comrades-in-arms for advice. How do I go to Disneyland on a potentially rainy day, and come out on top? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

sediment
01-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Boots.
Hat with a visor, and a jacket with a hood. Just a water-proof windbreaker will do, with perhaps a long-sleeved shirt. Something light that can be tied arounbd the waist when the sun sneaks through.

Remember that many of the attractions are indoors, so there doesn't have to be a lot of outdoor time.
When indoors, try to stay away from the A/C vents. You'll catch a death of pneumonia.

Lastly: get wet. It's like jumpinmg into a cold pool. You can get wet slowly and tortuously, or just get wet and get used to it right away.

SCUBAbe
01-05-2005, 08:19 PM
I wear leather topped shoes, a rain jacket (tinkerbell rain jacket), a crry a DL umbrella, and I wear a hat. I also wear a scarf and not those thin ones in the park. I knit my own warm thick ones...:) We also go on all the indoor rides. eating was the trickest part. When we were there allt eh covered dining was taken. Of course now I can think of lots of other places that may not have been, but I had a cold, sore throat and fevor the last time I went i the rain. I did get some free asprin from first aid...:)..Two CM's walked me right to the door and they were very nice to me the whole way...:)

biolabetty
01-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Try to wear a jacket or poncho long enough to cover your bottom. Last time I went in the rain, a lot of the rides that load and unload outside had really wet seats( so did I later on). :) I liked Disneyland in the rain, it's a new way to experience the park.

mad4mky
01-06-2005, 10:05 AM
I have moved this thread to the Disneyland Forum...since the title specifically asks about going to Disneyland in the rain...not going to places (general in the rain). :)

hbquikcomjamesl
01-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Look at the bright side: You'll be perfectly dressed for Splash Mountain and Grizzly River.

At any rate, I recommend a raincoat with either a hood or a sou'wester hat. Galoshes or slogging boots might not be a bad idea.

Surfingstitch
01-06-2005, 10:29 AM
GRR is the best when it is wet.

No lines at all.

mystycalchyk
01-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Just go knowing it will happen and have fun anyway. Mmmmmm and get some chowder or soup in a breadbowl in NOS (or in DCA). Yummmmmm!!

We prefer to each carry an umbrella to the poncho's. The ponchos cover you on top but your legs get soaked...with an umbrella you are better covered.

Bring boots and an extra pair of socks to change into later.

It will be cold. Bring mittens, hats/or earmuffs, and scarves. <---- easily toted in a backpack if you dont need them, but if last week was any indication you will.

have a blast, the lines are short short short in the rain.

Pammer
01-06-2005, 12:18 PM
When we were there on 12/5, it rained steadily from about 10am until after 6pm. This was the day of the Candlelight Processional, and DL's operating hours were 8am-midnight. Although the rain caused the cancellation of all of the outdoor entertainment, the lines were extremely short all day long...we estimate that we had ridden about 80% of the attractions by 2:30pm!

My guess is that, depending upon how much it rains, most of SoCal will stay away and that only the tourists will venture into the parks. However, the rain will also limit the places you can sit if you want to take a break (all of the benches will be soaked!).

An alternative to the poncho is to wear a rainsuit...they sell them at Wal-Mart for about $20 and you get both pants and a jacket. You WILL stay dry!

Have fun!

Christiii
01-06-2005, 12:30 PM
bring extra layers, even a blanket for sitting....and GET A LOCKER..one of the large ones will ususally fit most everything, and you wont worry that you brought the wrong, or not enough stuff...on days like this, even tho we are at a nearby hotel, we get a locker so we dont HAVE to go back for anything...it is so so so worth it..also for dumping the umbrella and packages!!

sami869
01-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Rainy days are the best in my opinion. You'll be able to get twice as much done because you won't have to deal with lines as much as you would on a sunny day. Dress warm and bring an umbrealla.

Surfingstitch
01-06-2005, 01:57 PM
When we were there on 12/5, it rained steadily from about 10am until after 6pm.

Have fun!

I am sad that I missed you.

Pammer
01-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Ooh, Surfingstitch...were you there then too? I met Walt'sbirthdaygirl at the Birthday Party, and would have enjoyed saying hi to you as well! Next trip is planned for 4/24 - 4/26... ;)

Surfingstitch
01-06-2005, 02:11 PM
I am back in feb.

Maybe this coming year in dec?

Merm8fan
01-06-2005, 06:11 PM
<<<<< Loves, loves, loves DLR in the rain! Go prepared, as far as slickers and warm layers, and you will have a blast. Most folks who are miserable there in the rain is because they aren't dressed for the wet or the cold. Cover those two factors and you'll get more out of the park(s) in a single day than you thought possible!

Wear shoes with good treads (says the gal who had her very own "coast" down the sloping walkway to Paradise Pier, ending on her patootie) as some of the decorative pavement treatments were not designed for rainy days.

I actually prefer going during inclement weather, as the queues are way shorter than normal. Parades and events may be cancelled, but the rides rarely seem to be affected. Give me a cool, rainy, off-season visit anyday over a hot, sticky, summer trip!

P.S. - Did I mention, Hot Sssshocolate?? Mmmmmmm.

SCUBAbe
01-06-2005, 09:11 PM
I am sad that I missed you.

I was there on 12/05 also. I was very sick though and went back to the room with a fevor around 5PM. Later that night I ventured to DTD and watched national treasure. We were going to go in DL for a coiple of hours after the movie, but my daughter forgot her pass in the room. Just as well...I was still not feeling well...

Disneyfreak
01-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Make sure you butt does not get wet. I recommend getting a poncho to wear while you are sitting down because there are usually puddles on the ride seats or trams.

5hr drive
01-07-2005, 04:54 AM
One suggestion;
Do not, under any circumstances, agree to ride it's a small world when it's raining. We did this last year on Christmas day when it rained, temp was <50, and the wind was howling. The people in the row ahead of us had umbrellas, we did not. So in addition to the rain falling from the sky we also had to contend with the rain sheeting off their umbrellas into our laps. Not fun. Also, you know how at the end of the ride it can take a while to get back to load/unload? So we're just sitting there on our cold, hard plastic bench, no where to go, rain pouring down, wind howling, and water pouring off the umbrellas of the people in front of us for what seemed like 15 minutes. Does this sound like fun? Never, never do it. One person in our group who didn't ride took our picture while we were inching our way up to unload, we look like drowning rats!!!

Pammer
01-07-2005, 12:53 PM
I am back in feb.

Not sure yet...I'm also thinking about going in late October around our wedding anniversary. I love everything decorated so prettily for Christmas, but the weather is unpredictable then and hubby gets chilly easily...when he does, he gets cranky! ;) Going in December is also so hectic...I didn't get the house fully decorated for Xmas this year (and us both being sick before and after the trip didn't help either!). Ooh, I sound whiny... :D

Oh yeah, we plan on going to our niece's graduation from high school down in San Diego, so I've already made motel reservations for 6/5 - 6/7 (not blocked out yet!).

Have fun next month!

rentayenta
01-07-2005, 01:17 PM
I am back in feb.

is coming this year in Dec. :D

Pammer
01-07-2005, 01:31 PM
But will you be coming late in the month again, rentayenta?

rentayenta
01-07-2005, 01:34 PM
But will you be coming late in the month again, rentayenta?

Our plan is for Dec. 15-23 and to be at the DLH from the 16-22. Y tu?

It was much harder on my kids to be away from their grandparents on Christmas than I expected. Awww, I know :) They really love my DH's folks!

Pammer
01-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Probably not, just because we don't like the crowds. ;) Have a great time, tho!

rentayenta
01-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Thank you Pammer :)

Surfingstitch
01-07-2005, 01:46 PM
I was there on 12/05 also. I was very sick though and went back to the room with a fevor around 5PM. Later that night I ventured to DTD and watched national treasure. We were going to go in DL for a coiple of hours after the movie, but my daughter forgot her pass in the room. Just as well...I was still not feeling well...

We went on the coaster in DCA and got pelleted with the rain in the front.

I thought I would get sick from being in the rain all day, but I didn't.