PDA

View Full Version : All set to go in March. Eating?

Pages : [1] 2

Family5LovesDisney
01-05-2005, 04:40 AM
I took the "plunge" and booked a package right through Disney for our trip in March. They are sure doing a lot of terrific promotions right now! Adult 3 day Park Hopper tickets for a child's price, Free Children's Park Hopper Tickets (for each paid adult), $150.00 Disney dollars for staying four nights in the Disneyland Hotel, early entry one morning, Mickey's Toontown madness one morning, a pin, a coupon book, a luggage tag! How could I turn all of that down?!

We will be traveling with our family of five........two adults and three boys ages 10, 7, & 4................... plus my parents. The boys really want to do a meal at Goofy's Kitchen. Does anyone have an opinion as to which is better there? Breakfast or dinner?? If we walk back there for dinner, will it feel like a long walk to get back into the park after dinner? I want to do Ariel's Grotto as I have read that it is hosted now by Captain Mickey.

What are some good places for lunch and for breakfast? We will probably want to eat breakfast before we go into the Park as the boys get too excited to do everything and don't want to take the time to sit down and eat. Are there some more relaxed non-character breakfast spots that anyone can recommend? On a side note, I will sure miss a morning of Tonga Toast at the Polynesian (if you ever go to WDW you must try this sugar filled and delicious carb breaking meal)

stan4d_steph
01-05-2005, 06:19 AM
Have you looked at the reviews on the MousePlanet Review database? They can be sorted by rating, so you can see which places people like best. Here's a link (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi).

There aren't that many options for sitdown breakfast outside the park compared to WDW. Storyteller's cafe is a character breakfast, but on the low side as far as interaction compared to the other choices. The food there is wonderful and they have some yummy French toast.

01-05-2005, 06:22 AM
3894's Top Three Food Favorites:

Red Rockett's Pizza in Tomorrowland - nice prices, nice pizza, very nice chicken fusilli (huge portion suitable for sharing)

French Market in New Orleans Square - fun desserts (again huge portion suitable for sharing), fun atmosphere, fun music. Fun.

Whitewater Snacks in Grand Californian Hotel - can't say enough about this low-key, cafeteria-style retreat from the madness. Fresh food, lots of healthy choices, nice prices. Breakfast burrito is extra great and picky eaters will find something they like, too.

millionairegirl
01-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Well, it's kind of a character breakfast, but the character's stay in the lobby; Storyteller's Breakfast is the best breakfast on property. It's located in the GCH, and if you go on a weekday it will be very relaxing and quiet.

Also, Carnation Cafe on Main Street has a good breakfast, but is in the park so may get the kids antsy.

Other favorites for lunch and dinner: Yamabuki for sushi, Catal, and Jazz Kitchen

rentayenta
01-05-2005, 06:55 AM
I second 3894's choices! The Frenck Market entrees come with a salad so it is very easy to share there.

If you kids are anything like mine, they have to eat right when they wake up. At the DLH we had a fridge in the room so we brought milk, cereal, and fruit so they could nibble a little before we hit the parks. Not only did it save money but my sanity as well. Hungry kids are no bueno!

Normally I would recommend Goofy's Kitchen but not after our last visit. The food was cold and the service sucked :(

Next time we are going to give StoryTellers a try.

Have fun!

Family5LovesDisney
01-05-2005, 07:44 AM
I did read through all of the reviews but it didn't seem like there were too many. I guess I will have to add some after we come back! :eek:

I like the idea of cereal and milk in the room. The boys will be happy that they can just go and not have to sit down at eat somewhere. Maybe we should try the Storytellers for a Character Breakfast?? I know that they do have their hearts set on seeing Goofy so maybe we will just have "grin and bear it"

I guess I am a bit spoiled by all of the eating choices at WDW compared to Disneyland but this park is so much smaller, we woulnd't want it to be all places to eat....... :p

stan4d_steph
01-05-2005, 07:56 AM
I like the idea of cereal and milk in the room. The boys will be happy that they can just go and not have to sit down at eat somewhere. Maybe we should try the Storytellers for a Character Breakfast?? I know that they do have their hearts set on seeing Goofy so maybe we will just have "grin and bear it"My suggestion would be to try Storyteller's for breakfast and save Goofy for the park. Goofy likes to play in DL and can often be found near the Opera House (Mr. Lincoln building). Storyteller's has yummy food for the adults and plenty of breakfast stuff for kids too (eggs, bacon, fruit, pastries). Another bonus for the adults: it doesn't have the crazy, frenetic pace of the other breakfasts like Goofy's. The kids won't get so wound up and you can enjoy your food. :)

Surfingstitch
01-05-2005, 07:56 AM
I would recommend the Breakfast at PCH Grill. You get to see lots of characters.

Minnie, Daisy, Lilo, Stitch, Pluto.

You can have buffet for 21.95 or order off the menu.

Family5LovesDisney
01-05-2005, 07:58 AM
My suggestion would be to try Storyteller's for breakfast and save Goofy for the park. Goofy likes to play in DL and can often be found near the Opera House (Mr. Lincoln building). Storyteller's has yummy food for the adults and plenty of breakfast stuff for kids too (eggs, bacon, fruit, pastries). Another bonus for the adults: it doesn't have the crazy, frenetic pace of the other breakfasts like Goofy's. The kids won't get so wound up and you can enjoy your food. :)
This sounds like an option that my parents and my hubbby might go for! ;)

Stupid_American
01-05-2005, 08:01 AM
For lunch, the kids should love Rainforest Cafe (http://www.rainforestcafe.com/vDetail.asp?id=29) in Downtown Disney.
You can take the monorail from Tomorrowland.
To save time, call for a reservation.

An offsite option for breakfast might be Mimi's Cafe (http://mimiscafe.com/locator/details.asp?ID=56) , across the street and to the left, from Disneyland's Harbor Blvd entrance.

For lunch, I like the turkey legs or corn dogs.
The legs can be purchased from numerous carts around the park.
Get corn dogs from the truck at the north end of Main Street.
http://home.pacbell.net/dagravy/dog.jpg

disney jones
01-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Get corn dogs from the truck at the north end of Main Street.
These are the world's best corn dogs. Eat one here, and you'll never want another one from anywhere else.

Family5LovesDisney
01-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Some of these lunch options sound good. My oldest son LOVES those darn Turkey legs from the carts. He always has to get one when we are at WDW. (even though it makes me feel half sick to watch him tear into it! :D ) I think I read about that one place........isn't it by the HOJO??

Surfingstitch
01-05-2005, 08:12 AM
I like these ones and the ones from the corndog castle in dca.

MrsG
01-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Red Rockett's Pizza in Tomorrowland - nice prices, nice pizza,
Maybe I hit it on an off day, but I tried RRPP pizza once and it was the worst pizza I've ever had. Couldn't even finish eating it. Fed it to the birds.All bread, dry crust, dry cheese, cold. I was surprised since so many people recommend it. :confused: I will go back to try the other dishes someday.

rentayenta
01-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Maybe I hit it on an off day, but I tried RRPP pizza once and it was the worst pizza I've ever had. Couldn't even finish eating it. Fed it to the birds.All bread, dry crust, dry cheese, cold. I was surprised since so many people recommend it. :confused: I will go back to try the other dishes someday.

MrsG, my DH thinks its crap too. We were all enjoying ours and he was going back to buy a salad :)

Surfingstitch
01-05-2005, 08:39 AM

My GF agrees also with the pizza. It is tasteless. It is only good if you are going to passout from not eating.

(We forget to eat sometimes in DL)

Stupid_American
01-05-2005, 08:41 AM
I think I read about that one place........isn't it by the HOJO??
It's directly across Manchester from HoJo's.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Personally, I find the chicken at the Plaza Inn to be superb. And I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Blue Bayou.

Over in DCA, there USED to be a superb restaurant called the Soap Opera Bistro. The dining rooms were built to look like production sets, and the waiters (and wandering improvisatory comedians) were soap-opera characters. Fun even for those who don't like soaps. The place died because while the concept was good, the too-specific theme (soaps) scared off a lot of customers.

In DTD, there's Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen.

Honestly, for breakfast, I'd recommend what I do myself, when at WDW: oatmeal and toast at the hotel. Cheap, filling, and very little futzing around. ALTHOUGH: Now that I think about it, I do eat breakfast (and a fairly substantial one, at that) in DL once a year. Every July 4th. I used to go to the Town Square Cafe, until it closed. Then I went to Carnation Main Street, until it was split up into a sidewalk cafe and a bakery, and the ice cream parlor portion of the place moved next door. Now, I go to the River Belle (if you don't know the place, it's on the cusp of Frontierland, Adventureland, and New Orleans Square) for breakfast.

cstephens
01-05-2005, 09:55 AM
I would seriously recommend against Jazz Kitchen, unless it's Sunday brunch, but that's based on past experience. Haven't been recently. Dinner at Jazz Kitchen was decidedly unimpressive. Can't imagine wanting to do it again. Take-out side? Avoid altogether.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
01-05-2005, 10:08 AM
The tods think that breakfast at Granvilles is the best there is to be had in the resort, but the Little tods are teenagers. No characters, just good service in a very relaxed atmosphere (not like a Granvilles dinner) and good food.

-TLMt

Family5LovesDisney
01-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Gosh, I don't have any food in the house right now except for some moldy bread and stale crackers and all of these eating places sound too good. Heck, I would even take the dry pizza with nasty cheese right now! ;)

sediment
01-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Over in DCA, there USED to be a superb restaurant called the Soap Opera Bistro. The dining rooms were built to look like production sets, and the waiters (and wandering improvisatory comedians) were soap-opera characters. Fun even for those who don't like soaps. The place died because while the concept was good, the too-specific theme (soaps) scared off a lot of customers.

Surprised that such an family-unfriendly concept never hit it off.
50's PrimeTime Cafe from MGM might fill the void, even if only temporarily.

CoasterChickie
01-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Family5LovesDisney...Congratualtions on booking your trip through Disney!! It sounds like you got some great deals and you''ll love the DL Hotel!!

We usually eat breakfast at the Whitewater Cafe over at the GCH and then walk into DL in the morning. We also like to eat breakfast at the Plaza Inn inside the park. They used to have all the Poh characters there , but I've heard it's switching or switched to the princesses.

If you're going to eat luch or dinner at Goofy's , you can always take the monorail instead of walking all the way back to the hotel. One of my favorite dinners ever was at Ariel's Grotto. It wasn't very crowded even though it was Labor Day wekend and the characters spent a lot of time goofing around with my husband, my son, and his buddy. Goofy ws there too!!! :)

Be sure to get one of those corndogs at some point during your trip...they are delicious!!!

5hr drive
01-06-2005, 04:55 AM

I agree, awful pizza, very good pasta though, and salads are good. If you insist on trying the pizza, at least hang out and wait till they bring a fresh one out of the oven, it's a lot better fresh, still way too bready/doughy though.

MrsG
01-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't like the pizza. I thought I was crazy! Thanks guys!