PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your DL?

Pages : [1] 2

crinklebat
01-03-2005, 10:09 PM
It seems like a lot of people here are locals who have APs and go in the evenings or randomly a few times a month or so. And a lot live out of state and go on multi-day trips once a year. I'm interested in how else people like to experience the park.

I feel like a kind of weirdo myself because I really like paying full price for a single day and doing the stressful get there at opening, stay until closing routine. I've thought about getting an AP because I live in SoCal but I worry that then it wouldn't feel as special or magical--that it would become a place I could go anytime rather than one I have to save up for. Basically, when you buy it a day at a time, each day at DL is a huge investment. I like the high stakes game.

Does anyone else feel this way? How do you prefer to experience DL?

disney jones
01-03-2005, 10:25 PM
And a lot live out of state and go on multi-day trips once a year
Actually it seems us AP holders in AZ go on multi-day trips multiple times a year. Even with just a couple of weeks between visits, the magic is still completely there.

Wendi
01-04-2005, 08:53 AM
I live in NorCal, I generally go to DLR once a year. I spend at least three days, up to six. My favorite is 5 or 6 days. I don't feel rushed at all, I can meander through the parks leisurely and I'm not bothered if anything slows me down. In the past I've always booked package deals through getawaytoday.org. On our past trip, I did the same, but this time I bought myself an AP. I plan on going two or three times this year. In fact, I even have a little fantasy trip in the back of my mind to get a family member to watch Max all day while I hop on a plane early in the morning, go to the parks alone, and hop on another plane that night to come home... sounds nice, huh?

BradysGirl
01-04-2005, 09:01 AM
I have an AP. I visit the resort a lot and EVERY time is magical. I think when you do the stressful marathon day at Disneyland, you sometimes miss some of the lowkey stuff. My favorite thing to do is jsut go and sit somewhere and watch everyone. Don't get me wrong, I do sometimes do the all day thing. And it is fun. But, I like just going and spending a couple of hours exploring one section of the park. Or going to eat dinner. Once I walk through the gates all of my stress just melts away and I feel like a kid again. LOVE IT!!!!

And, Wendi - coming down for the day does sound nice. I think you should do it!!!

averagedork
01-04-2005, 09:15 AM
I used to go to DLR with my family and it was a "big deal". I used to do it once every 5 years ( and I live in California). The problem is it was a major stressful situation for everyone involved. Is that magic? Nope. Now I have an AP, go every weekend, or attempt to go every weekend. The magic is there. I am not stressed out, making sure all my siblings are there or getting irritated because we go on all the rides my siblings wanted to go on, but none of the smaller rides that are my cup of tea. I go on the rides I like, linger around, only really care about myself and my friends and as egocentric as it sounds, it's better than $50 in a stress situation.

CrazyTrain
01-04-2005, 01:43 PM
My friends and I have APs and we do it one long day at a time. It's not stressful at all - whatever we miss we know we can catch the next time.

We go to DTD in the evenings on ocassion, but I always seem to be the ONLY one who is willing to head into DL to catch a few rides. I'd love to go to the park more just after work, but it'd be taking the 5 at rush hour... not something I really want to do. *lol*

01-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Disneyland is like some exotic, expensive treat - caviar, say. Years go by between trips to the resort. But I know that when I do go, it will be a little different than the time before and a lot wonderful.

disneyperson
01-04-2005, 01:54 PM
We are half way through our first year as annual pass holders and love it. We will definitely renew. We live in nor.Cal.and like to visit 3 times a year, (4 counting my daughter's annual visit with her school band) Ideally ,we like to have three to six days.We stay across the street in one of the S. Harbor hotels and walk in. We arrive in the park after it's been open for 45 minutes or so and stay until a little after closing every day we're there. (ok sometimes we're the last ones out) We don't get tired or bored. We are meanderers and love to stop to listen to the music and people watch. On our last visit, we had a nice talk with Rod Miller one night and watched the swing dancing the next. We ride a lot of attractions, always including mulitple turns on the HM and Indie. We don't visit other So.Cal. attractions (we always say we're going to but never do) and rarely even step foot into DCA. Our addiction is for Disneyland only, thankyou.

rentayenta
01-04-2005, 01:56 PM
I like my DL like I like my sex; often with few breaks in between :eek: ;)

01-04-2005, 02:01 PM
I like my DL like I like my sex; often with few breaks in between

Oh, cringe! Disneyland and sex in the same breath? No! Disneyland is so unsexy; it truly is the exact opposite of sexy.

No, no, no!

rentayenta
01-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Oh, cringe! Disneyland and sex in the same breath? No! Disneyland is so unsexy; it truly is the exact opposite of sexy.

No, no, no!

;) = joke. I was kidding*

*sorta ;)

hbquikcomjamesl
01-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Back when my evenings were freer, and gas was cheaper, I sometimes would go to DL two or three nights a week, for just a few hours, just long enough to see the MSEP and Fantasmic.

Now it's much less frequent (to where I'm barely scraping the break-even point on premium pass prices), but I still will occasionally go just for the atmosphere, or maybe a show, or to hang out at the Coke Corner with Rod or Johnny, without doing a single attraction.

Generally, the only day I'll do the "from as early as I can get there until at least midnight" thing is July 4th. Which started out as a silent protest against my city's decision, over a decade ago, to unconditionally ban all amateur fireworks. At any rate, that's the day when I formally renew my pass, and do the Walt's Footsteps tour.

disney jones
01-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I even have a little fantasy trip in the back of my mind to get a family member to watch Max all day while I hop on a plane early in the morning, go to the parks alone, and hop on another plane that night to come home... sounds nice, huh?

After pushing two little girls around in a stroller about five 2-3 day trips this summer, i finally had a chance to do just that one day in Ocotber, going solo.

I went on all the thrill rides in DCA multiple times that morning that i couldn't take them on (including having a GRR boat all to myself!), but by Noon, i was bushed! I made it over to DL itself, and all i could do was sit in Frontierland for a few hours. I watched the Billy's and rode the Mark Twain, but that was it! (but now i know what to do there when i get old!)

It was a very nice treat, but tiring.

Jeremiah
01-04-2005, 03:23 PM
I like my DL with a side of ranch and well done;-)

J

GrumpyUTboi
01-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Like Rent, I like doing DL the marathon way. Go and spend 6-7 days doing nothing but DL.

SCUBAbe
01-04-2005, 04:30 PM
I use top have an ap, btu it expired. I'm waiting to re-new so the DL burnout can go away. LOL . I went once a month for a year, but most of the trip were 3 days. It was to much. Besides, DL has never felt "magical" to me. It's a nice theme/amusement park, but the "magic" is in the marketing and they do market the name/trademark/DL well...:)

SCUBAbe
01-04-2005, 04:32 PM

No, no, no!

I'm confused....what can be better than sex at DL....LOL...but your right DL itself is not sexy, but when you SO is...well, that opens up lots of doors and out of the way places...:)

LilmissTinkerbell
01-04-2005, 06:39 PM
I like my disneyland late at night, especially in the summer. Sometimes the bf and I will go and just sit inside the french market patio for hours. Makes for a very nice atmosphere,

SoCalSteven
01-04-2005, 06:41 PM
I like my DL like I like my sex; often with few breaks in between :eek: ;)
Best analogy ever!

Flint
01-04-2005, 07:03 PM

No, no, no!

waaaay TMI... but one of my close friends and her then-husband... well, erm, uhhh. Let's say their daughter was conceived *ahem* somewhere...

Mrs.N
01-04-2005, 07:16 PM
I find it even more magical as an AP because we can enjoy it at whatever pace we want. My favorite time to go is Friday nights. Open late without the large crowds.

PapiBear
01-04-2005, 09:53 PM

No, no, no!

Well, I got news for you then - the term "on the DL" is.....well, just read about it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down-low).

evrythngwmn
01-05-2005, 02:03 AM
I think if you're truly a lover of Disneyland it'd be hard to lose the magic. When I started working there people asked me if seeing and knowing the backstage goings on took the magic away. My answer is it adds to it. I see things differently now. I see how it touches our guests and other cast members. I can't imagine my life without Disneyland.

01-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Well, I got news for you then - the term "on the DL"

All the way from Wisconsin, you feel me rolling my eyes. I know you do.

iwannabeanimagineer
01-05-2005, 09:39 AM
During the cumulative 20 years I have lived in Utah, we have been able to get to Disneyland about once a year on average: twice or even three times in some years and not at all in some years, some consecutively. During the first 15 years we arrived as close to opening as possible, spent one day in the Park and left as late as possible.

Then, in 1996, my generous aunt and uncle took all of their children and grandchildren to WDW for Christmas week and took us along as well. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, slept late, wandered through the parks at a leisurely pace, spent some time at the hotel when we felt like it and left the parks at random hours (though it tended to be late because we are all Disneyholics). We had such a blast, we resolved to start enjoying DL that way too. In October 1999 we took our first 3-day trip to Disneyland and afterward resolved we would never do that again, probably due to the cheap and terrible accommodations we arranged. Then in 2001, we splurged on another 3-day trip to DL and the new (to us) DCA and stayed at the Grand Californian. That hooked us and now we always go for 3 to 5 days with 1-3-day breaks between some of the days, frequently staying with my brother and his family in Yorba Linda instead of the hotels. Our plan for 2005 is to drive down caravan-style with close friends and relatives from here during the +/-2 weeks after Thanksgiving and stay at a hotel or in a big condo and spend 3-5 days there.