PDA

View Full Version : Grand Californian question!

tlovesdis
01-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know if the rooms at the GCH have the couch in them that someone can sleep on? We just stayed at the DLH and there were two beds and a couch that turned into a bed. We are going to be staying there in October and there will be 5 of us. We plan on getting a theme park view. Just curious if you have 5 people they automatically give you a room with a day bed in it.

Thanks,

Jeremiah
01-03-2005, 08:20 PM
GCH is a 4 person only as far as booking a room goes as i recall from my Travel days. The rooms are really not that large so I would not push it to try for the 5. I have stayed in all 3 of the DLR hotels and DLH is the best IMHO. PP (have not stayed since the last referb) in nice but not a DLR feel to it. GCH really has a odd feeling to it, I love the theme park view but the layout of the hotel is odd and again the rooms are very small. DLH is the stand out one as far as themeing and making you feel like you are part of the magic.

J

My2kidsrule
01-03-2005, 08:23 PM
They'll give you a roll-away. but if you want the kid-inside fun, the bunk bed rooms sleep 5, two on the queen bed, one on each bunk and one on the trundle! :-)

tlovesdis
01-03-2005, 08:51 PM
GCH is a 4 person only as far as booking a room goes as i recall from my Travel days. The rooms are really not that large so I would not push it to try for the 5. I have stayed in all 3 of the DLR hotels and DLH is the best IMHO. PP (have not stayed since the last referb) in nice but not a DLR feel to it. GCH really has a odd feeling to it, I love the theme park view but the layout of the hotel is odd and again the rooms are very small. DLH is the stand out one as far as themeing and making you feel like you are part of the magic.

J

When I do our package on Disneyland.com I put in 5 people and it gives me the Grand as an option so that's why I figured there was some kind of day bed like the DLH.

tlovesdis
01-03-2005, 08:52 PM
They'll give you a roll-away. but if you want the kid-inside fun, the bunk bed rooms sleep 5, two on the queen bed, one on each bunk and one on the trundle! :-)

I've read that the bunk beds are not that long? DO you know? Can an adult that is about 5'5" sleep on the bunk? We only have 1 kid.

only1mouse
01-03-2005, 09:10 PM

J

We had two queens and fit 5 people. Two adults and 3 children (12, 9, and 9) The kids got the sleeping bags and created a "tent" to sleep in each night. We had heard that the rooms were really small, but we didn't think they were as small as we had imagined. I've only stayed at PP and GC and GC is my favorite! The access to the parks is great!

Wendi
01-03-2005, 09:25 PM
We have never had a room with a couch, but I heard they are available...

We've had a room with two queens.

We've also had a room with one king and a bunk bed with trundle.

The bunk beds are twin size - so if you fit on a twin sized bed, it will work... I assume you will have no problems since you are only 5'5".

The GCH does not have rollaway beds. They have a very nice sleeping bag setup though, they even give you a foam mattress that goes under the sleeping bag. My niece said it was very comfortable!!!

HTH

Oh, and YES, 5 is the maximum.

CoasterChickie
01-03-2005, 09:43 PM
I just stayed there on Saturday night with 9 people so we had two rooms. One was small and had two queen beds. There was no way a rollaway could have fit in it.

I called the front desk and told them we needed another room with one of the daybeds in it, but there were none available so I slept in the sleping bag and thin mat they provided. It was fine for one night , but if I had been staying for an entire week and had to sllep on the flor when we were paying the rates they charge I wouldn't have been too happy.

Be sure to request a room with a daybed before you go and call the night before your trip to confirm it!

vangrizz
01-03-2005, 10:43 PM
When I do our package on Disneyland.com I put in 5 people and it gives me the Grand as an option so that's why I figured there was some kind of day bed like the DLH.

If they're not sold out of the suites it will do a package for you with up to 8 people included. But I agree with the sentiment that the rooms with the queen beds are too small for 5 people. Make sure you get a room with bunk beds and you should be ok.

Here are some pictures from the room we stayed in Dec 19-23. Bedroom 1 and the Main room make up a 1BR suite. Bedroom 2 attaches to make it into a 2BR suite. As you can see...there's not alot of floor space in Bedroom 2. The couch in the main room of the suite does pull out into a bed if that counts for anything.

GC 2BR Suite Photos (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/talonnevada/album?.dir=/ec25&urlhint=actn,mv%3as,11%3af,0%3asdir,Disney+Trip%3a ddir,Room+Photos)

BJW
01-03-2005, 11:15 PM
From the situation you described in the original post I would consider avoiding this hotel. It is highly overrated and I think would mostly only be good for two spouses or two kids on bunkbeds as mentioned earlier. The rooms are very cramped and with 3 people in the room I felt like I had no space. Except for the light dimmer, the rooms are not as good as the other hotels at the resort. The only perk I see that would make this hotel desirable is its closeness to the parks. You can enter DCA from inside the hotel. The upcharge and smaller rooms don't outweigh that benefit to me. I probably will stay there again if its just me and one other person, but for 5 unless you get a suite you may want to reconsider.

CoasterChickie
01-03-2005, 11:38 PM
I forgot to mention something....my sister's FIL was with us so we got a great senior discount on one of the rooms. I think it was $205. Be sure to mention that if Grandma and /or Grandpa are going with you! :)

kisroo
01-04-2005, 07:35 AM
t~are the 5 people all adults?? If so, I would agree that the GC rooms would be a bit on the smallish size. I could see 2 adults and 3 kiddos in the bunkbed rooms or even 3 adults and 2 kids with the 2 queen with sleeping bags for the kids.
We had a king bed with the couch and the couch didn't fold out as far as I remember. It was a good size for 2~but I would imagine quite cramped for any more adults. Especially the bath/vanity area in the am! ;)

Have fun planning your trip and can't wait to hear all about it!
~kisroo:)

tlovesdis
01-04-2005, 07:51 AM
t~are the 5 people all adults?? If so, I would agree that the GC rooms would be a bit on the smallish size. I could see 2 adults and 3 kiddos in the bunkbed rooms or even 3 adults and 2 kids with the 2 queen with sleeping bags for the kids.
We had a king bed with the couch and the couch didn't fold out as far as I remember. It was a good size for 2~but I would imagine quite cramped for any more adults. Especially the bath/vanity area in the am! ;)

Have fun planning your trip and can't wait to hear all about it!
~kisroo:)

There will be 4 adults and one child. Haley can sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor if the daybed is not an option. We stayed at the DLH this past December and there were 6 of us. 3 adults and 3 children. Believe it or not, we did not feel cramped at all and we ended up with a great schedule so that we were all ready to go each morning by 9am!

My2kidsrule
01-04-2005, 08:50 AM
We did the bunk bed room in November, and I slept one night in the bunk with my son, and I was fine (I'm 6-foot), but franky, four adults would find that room small. I've stayed at the DLH room with the sofa, too, and it's bigger and more open in its layout. I LOVE GCH, but...

Jeremiah
01-04-2005, 10:55 AM
that is right they do not have roll aways they have a sleeping bag type thing for another person (child). The bunk beds are not very large at all, we had a room with the bunk beds and 2 10 year old boys and neither one of them could sleep in the bunk beds. I would just call of WDTC and ask them I know they have all the info it is drilled into there heads through training.

J

sami869
01-04-2005, 11:17 AM
When we stayed there we had a king bed with a sofa bed. Is that not available for the rooms with 2 queens?

rentayenta
01-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the pics BJW!

tina, keep us posted on the trip planning. I think the rooms look great!

sleepyjeff
01-04-2005, 07:51 PM
FloorPlans of the Grand Californian Hotel (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlm/content?id=StandardGCHGuestRoomsAndSuitesHMFPage)

Hope this helps at least a little.