PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with postpartum DL depression

Pages : [1] 2

GrumpyUTboi
01-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Do any of you get really depressed after visiting the "Happiest Place on Earth"? It takes me a good 2-3 months afterwards to really be able to get back into the swing of things here on the boards after a trip. I guess that I just need to find a way to visit DL twice a year not just once.

I was wondering if any of you get real down after spending a week at DL.

pisces
01-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Maybe you are just sad that the Holidays have ended.

I just got back from spending 7 days at the Grand Californian, today.

I pretty much got everything in that I wanted to in 7 days, and I was ready to come home. It's a lot of walking. Things were so festive that I just can't imagine visiting Disneyland at any other time other than the Holidays.

I am sad that the Holidays have come to an end. It is sad to think that the decorations are coming down, although, as of 11:00 am, today, the Tree was still up in the Grand.

I'm assuming they are taking them down as we speak, I didn't have the heart to ask when they'd come down.

Ok, I need to stop this, now I'm making myself more upset than I was.

Hakuna Makarla
01-03-2005, 02:19 PM
oh man did I get depressed! I did not know why and I did not care. I seemd to go into a shut down mode for a few weeks. ( read my post partum posts when I got back LOL! ) I think it was because we had a wonderful time ( even though the 3 year old hated to wait in lines and hollered a lot :rolleyes: It was fun, and exciting to be able to go there for the first time and my kids see the happiest place on earth. I missed so much and did not get the pictures I wanted or to ride the rides I really wanted to do ( had kids and wanted to ride the coasters :) but I had no one to trade off with kids so I missed so much.I am fine now LOL! and I am praying some day to go back! Yes, I do now believe there is a depression of sorts whne you come back from disneyland ( unless you go all the time LOL! in that case you are one lucky SOB !! :D

rentayenta
01-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Pisces!!! I have been thinking about you and wondering how your trip was.

The best way to combat post DL blues is to start planning the next trip, which is exactly what I have been doing :D

I think having the holidays over and my trip too made it a double whammy.

disney jones
01-03-2005, 02:30 PM
The best way to combat post DL blues is to start planning the next trip, which is exactly what I have been doing :D
Exactly! you just need to visit more. I went twice in December and am going a month from today.

pisces
01-03-2005, 02:40 PM
I simply can't imagine that Park without that Tree, and the wonderful Christmas music, hence I'm not going other than in December.

Does anyone know if the decorations are still up? Actually, don't tell, I prefer to think that they'll be up year round.

Yenta: It was a very emotional trip. I cried when I saw Santa/Goofy in the sled for the first time. I cried when I saw how they decorated the tree with the toy soldiers, Santas, violins, and other assorted instruments. That's exactly how I remembered our trees being decorated from my childhood. We didn't just stick on ornaments. We used little Santas, and other characters.

I cried when I saw the horse drawn carriage. So special. I cried everytime they played the special instrumental version of "Christmas Waltz". I'd been looking for that version for years. I wish I could get a tape of their Christmas blend they played throughout Main Street.

I cried when I first walked into the GCH, and saw their majestic tree. And, then again, while looking into the lobby fireplace---a very solemn moment for me.

Everything was so festive, and it was pure magic for me.

I just got back, literally, a couple of hours ago.

7 days and nights. You know something? I'd do it again, but only in December.

Of course, I'm fresh out of money.......and that REALLY makes me cry!!!

Nancy
01-03-2005, 05:31 PM
When I'm between trips I usually watch the shows I have on tape or DVD like,Showtime, Disney after dark, the 25th anniversary show or anything so I can see the park. The kids have a "Disneyland fun" sing a-long movie I like only for the scenes of Disneyland. I'm a junkie, I can't get enough Disneyland :)

Nancy
01-03-2005, 05:37 PM
pisces, you should see "HolidayTime at Disneyland". It's era is the early 60's I think. Walt Disney is in it too. (If you're into vintage Christmas Disneyland) :)

Wendi
01-03-2005, 06:28 PM
I get a little depressed too... back to real life, which could never compare to life in Disneyland!!! I actually had a small anxiety attack when I woke up in the hotel on the day we were driving back home... just knowing it was over and I'd have to go back to work in the next few days.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-03-2005, 09:34 PM
It takes me about 6 months to get over it, unless of course I get a trip back in that time. hehe

nsyncitnd1787
01-03-2005, 10:02 PM
when i got back from my trip to disneyland (jan 1-4, 2004), i was soo sad. the next day was school so that made me even sadder. everyday, i would say i want a churro and fries (from that cart thing in frontierland). and, what's really bad is that in my algebra class, i went from an A in the fall semester to a C in the spring semester. The whole month of jan, that's all i thought about, Disneyland. that's what you call ppdd (postpartum Disneyland depression).

Postpartum Disneyland Depression (PPDD): the syndrom die-hard Disneyland fans get when they come home from an amazing trip to "The Happiest Place on Earth." Known cures: plan another trip to Disneyland or go to Disneyland again.

(that should go in a dictionary... maybe that one that starts w/ a W)

RStar
01-03-2005, 10:08 PM
I love to listen to the music from DL. It takes me back to the park. The Official Disney Album is real good, but you can stream from the web as well and get ride sounds. Also, it's great to keep up with the news here at MousePlanet, and MousePad!;)

disney jones
01-03-2005, 10:26 PM
and watching all the animated classics helps too while one is away.

Lekta
01-04-2005, 12:14 AM
I went in March and I'm still feeling the Disneyland depression.. Worst part is, at this point in my life, I don't know when the next trip will be.. although I sure would love to plan it. I get so depressed after a trip that I cannot even look at the boards for like a month or two.... :crying:

Boingonut
01-04-2005, 01:30 AM
I moved to Southern Califronia and bought an AP, that cleared my post park depresion right up. I highly recomend this treatment ;) :fez: .

oregontraveler
01-04-2005, 04:37 AM
After my last trip in November, i have been listening to the Dapper Dan's CD
constantly, with a slight changeup with other Disney Cd's. My next trip isn't until August. :crying:

kisroo
01-04-2005, 07:28 AM
Ah, yes....Disneyland Letdown...I know thee well.

I agree with Renta~the best way (other than what Boingonut did, which may or may not be possible!) is to start planning another vacation!
I've gotten to the point where it doesn't even really need to be a disney vacation (I know!!!! OH, the horror of it all!!!), just something for me to continue to look forward to doing in the near future.

~kisroo:)

Disneyland4Jamy
01-04-2005, 08:23 AM
I've learned that very few people understand post-Disneyland depression, including my own family. I even get a little sad the night before I go since I know now that the sooner the visit is here, the sooner it will be over. I cherish my visits there like no other place. I wish I felt the way I feel at Dinseyland every day of the year. I've got the CD's in my car, read the boards, Disney Magazine, the AP newsletter, photographs, videos...it can give me a lift OR make me sad! What helps me get by is planning my next trip: when to go, who to bring, the new merchandise, a ride opening after refurbishment...those things give me a "reason to live" ;)
I am glad I am not alone in this!

BillsGirl
01-04-2005, 08:58 AM
I live approx. 9 miles from DL so I get to go often! But there are times where we get busy and don't get to go as often as I like. We havn't been in almost 3 weeks now and I am getting what I call withdrawls. :eek: One way I try to overcome the withdrawls when I haven't been in a couple weeks I watch my family videos of our visits or the Disney Sing along video called Disneyland Fun. I also have an old video called A Day at Disneyland I bought at the park years ago.

Disneyland4Jamy
01-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Billsgirl, I have both of those videos! They seem kind of dated now, though. It's great to have footage of attractions from the past. The free promotional/trip planning videos are helpful, too. I think you can order them from the disneyland website. :p

Emma
01-04-2005, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't say I get depressed, but I definetly get the "let down" that kisroo is talking about.

Now, I am depressed about the holidays being over. I almost cried while I was taking down my tree on Sunday.

354 Days till Christmas. (sigh) :rolleyes:

BillsGirl
01-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Billsgirl, I have both of those videos! They seem kind of dated now, though. It's great to have footage of attractions from the past. The free promotional/trip planning videos are helpful, too. I think you can order them from the disneyland website. :p
Disneyland4jamy,

They are really old but I love the nostalgia and they help in a pinch when you miss being there!!

MrsPooh
01-04-2005, 02:53 PM
the Disney Sing along video called Disneyland Fun.

Ooh! I have that one too! Yup, it is dated but it is so much fun! Piglet has outgrown his sing along song videos, but I have kept this one as it is great to play when you need a "fix" or right before a trip to get you in the mood!

I get sad too when I leave, we only get to go about once a year. We were last there in Aug and now Piglet is whining that he wants to go again SOON!!! Guess I better get to planning.....

Ok, so do I go in May for Buzz Lightyear, or wait for Nov for Space Mountain??

rentayenta
01-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Ooh! I have that one too! Yup, it is dated but it is so much fun! Piglet has outgrown his sing along song videos, but I have kept this one as it is great to play when you need a "fix" or right before a trip to get you in the mood!

I get sad too when I leave, we only get to go about once a year. We were last there in Aug and now Piglet is whining that he wants to go again SOON!!! Guess I better get to planning.....

Ok, so do I go in May for Buzz Lightyear, or wait for Nov for Space Mountain??

Wait until Dec. like me :D

Uncle Remus
01-04-2005, 05:52 PM
I was lucky enough to find a trip planning video from 1995, that year was the second time I had ever visited Disneyland and I can barely remember merchandise that said 40 years of adventure cause I was 7ish years old.

I got the blues really bad after my last trip... and I don't even know when I will have the chance to go again this year. The dumb thing is, that if I do go, The longest the trip will be is maybe 3 days. I havent had a good long 5+ days trip to Disneyland in atleast 5 years. I went 3 times in 2004 and it only added up to a total of 7 days! thats sad.. I really need my fix!