PDA

View Full Version : Web sites shoot to ease Disneyland frustrations -- Ft Wayne Journal-Gazette, 01/02/05

Andrew
01-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Web sites shoot to ease Disneyland frustrations (http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/living/10549428.htm) -- Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette, 2005-01-02

Disney’s theme parks are almost as famous for triple-digit ticket packages, pricey meals and often-interminable lines as they are for cartoon inhabitants. But many people don’t realize that a cottage industry of tools is springing up on the Web that can help crack the code of the Happiest Place on Earth. The goal: To beat the lines and save money.

Travelers are increasingly turning to unofficial sites such as mouseplanet.com and laughingplace.com, which are filled with fanatical advice on such things as the best place to view the fireworks and the vegetarian options at restaurants.

cstephens
01-03-2005, 06:25 AM
FYI, I noticed there's a byline on the article, but the article originally ran in the Wall Street Journal. The article was mentioned elsewhere, and it occurred to me to mention it here since I hadn't seen it, but I forgot. Sorry!

sediment
01-03-2005, 07:42 AM
The article's authors took advice from FAQ #3!

RideMax Mark
01-03-2005, 08:57 AM
A more complete reprint of the article can be found here:

http://biz.yahoo.com/wsj/041222/sb110375969122007752_1.html

(This originally appeared in the December 23rd issue of the Wall Street Journal.)

The Mouse Is Back
01-03-2005, 06:52 PM
"Fanatical"?

Sometimes I wonder how these people pass their journalism courses.

There's a lot of advice available, but "fanatical" is a poor choice of modifier.

-Allegra-

ralfrick
01-04-2005, 07:43 AM
"Fanatical"?

Sometimes I wonder how these people pass their journalism courses.

There's a lot of advice available, but "fanatical" is a poor choice of modifier.

-Allegra-

Let's see, these are fan sites, and fan is short for fanatic. Fanatical means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion" (Webster's). I found Al's original DIG site in 1997, and have seen many other sites since. Fanatical is the perfect choice; even more so when you look at WDW sites. I have never spent 5 minutes on any Disney discussion board without encountering fanatical.

Cheers.

adriennek
01-04-2005, 09:30 AM
What's kind of funny to me is that I saw a family- two parents, mom was Asian, with a little girl, in line for Autopia, Mom studying and making notes on a sheet that seemed like a RideMax schedule, when we were there on December 10th? That Friday in December, was it the 10th?

I wonder if that was the same family...

Adrienne

RideMax Mark
01-04-2005, 09:53 AM
What's kind of funny to me is that I saw a family- two parents, mom was Asian, with a little girl, in line for Autopia, Mom studying and making notes on a sheet that seemed like a RideMax schedule, when we were there on December 10th? That Friday in December, was it the 10th?

I wonder if that was the same family...

Adrienne

I first heard from the WSJ reporter on Monday, December 12th, and I got the impression that she had just finished her trip to DL the previous weekend, so it *is* possible it was the same family!

Hmmm....

Mark Goldhaber
01-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Let's see, these are fan sites, and fan is short for fanatic. Fanatical means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion" (Webster's). I found Al's original DIG site in 1997, and have seen many other sites since. Fanatical is the perfect choice; even more so when you look at WDW sites. I have never spent 5 minutes on any Disney discussion board without encountering fanatical.
Al? "uncritical devotion?" Are you sure that you're talking about the same guy?

And if you're saying that the main MousePlanet site fits that category, I'd say that we're not doing our jobs correctly.