PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of New Years?

Pages : [1] 2

SoCalSteven
01-01-2005, 02:40 AM
So, we went to DLR on New Years, what else is an Annual Passholder going to do? :D

We got there super late because of work. We hit the Blue Bayou just a little late for our reservations. Took a while to get seated. Prime rib was good, steak and lobster was not. (anyone else have that tonight?)

Hurried out at 11:50PM to see the fireworks. Totally amazing! Best fireworks I've seen in a long time! Can't vouch for the music as we were behind BTMRR.

Rode BTMRR, walked around a bit, tried to get on a few rides, and all the lines were huge! A bit more browsing and we were done for the night. Rounded up the others and we were on our way. They actually ran the trams, so no long walk this year. Two hour drive home and here I am.

How was your New Years?

DCAWhites
01-01-2005, 05:10 AM
I saw the DL fireworks from DCA and both were extremely impressive. DCA's was up close and personal, with lots of suprises and fireworks that looked like gold sparkles, while disneyland's were humongous, and quite long too.

CoasterChickie
01-01-2005, 05:24 AM
I wasn't there last night , but in one hour I'll be driving down today with my sister. Hope it's not as crowded and I hope that I'll be able to see some fireworks. Do they do them even if it's raining?

Hakuna Makarla
01-01-2005, 06:55 AM
your going again today?? man you are lucky! Have a good time Annie!

SoCalSteven
01-01-2005, 09:07 AM
I wasn't there last night , but in one hour I'll be driving down today with my sister. Hope it's not as crowded and I hope that I'll be able to see some fireworks. Do they do them even if it's raining?
I don't believe they are even able to do the fireworks in the rain.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
01-01-2005, 09:17 AM
New Year Fireworks were terrific, it was a wonderful show. I miss the new year glowing on top of the Matterhorn, but they're the best fireworks I've seen at DL in a while.

-TLMT

SoCalSteven
01-01-2005, 09:35 AM
New Year Fireworks were terrific, it was a wonderful show. I miss the new year glowing on top of the Matterhorn, but they're the best fireworks I've seen at DL in a while.

I didn't even think of that. They didn't do that this year, did they? Bummer.

I guess I didn't miss it much. Oops.

Wesley815
01-01-2005, 10:11 AM
The park really was not that crowded compared to last year (we didn't even reach capicity). Mansion and Splash had a 5 or 10 min wait after 11pm and we didn't have to setup any ropes for the 12:07 Fantasmic! show. Everyone was smashed together on Main Street, but that was it. Very nice evening and calm. It rained pretty hard in the morning so that kept most people away.

Happy New Year! :)

nursemelis374
01-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah, we went last night and we were all suprised at how not crowded it was. We had a blast!

Disneyfreak
01-01-2005, 01:15 PM
I think they were using their new firework system for the 50th anniversary show. It was so many fireworks I could have sworn it was a totally different fireworks system they were using. It was just overwhelming how many they shot off compared to the bad show last year.

DefyingGravity
01-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Over on miboards.com somebody said that the NYE firework show served as a testing of some of the new effects and fireworks for Remember... Dreams Come True. If that's true then I'm glad everybody liked them so much!

Disneyfreak
01-01-2005, 01:56 PM
It was totally impressive. Like I said, I have never seen that many fireworks in one spot in my life lol. It was so impressive that you could hear all the cheering all over the park.

tarzansgirl
01-01-2005, 04:41 PM
The whole day was nice, I spent much of the day at DCA and then headed to Disneyland at around 7 for dinner at Rancho. And although the park was crowded it wasn't overwhelming like in previous years, I think it had to do with the rain. Anyways I watched the first showing of Fantasmic! and the crowd was very lively, everybody was cheering in my section. Oh but the fireworks show at midnight was amazing! I completely forgot that it was 2005 because I just kept staring at the sky!

AlohaJulie
01-01-2005, 09:06 PM
NYE at the parks was awesome!

Got there in the afternoon and caught a few shows of DUH over in DCA and then headed over to DL and rode Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, and the Teacups. The lines weren't bad at all, because it was around parade time. I watched the entire parade from the line at Alice. After that, my group went over to the Blue Bayou for dinner where I was literally standing shoulder-to-shoulder with James Franco (Harry in the Spiderman movies and from Freaks and Geeks). After that, we strolled back to DCA and saw the Fab Four until about 11:40. Grabbed a glass of champagne from the winery, then headed to the HP Backlot and rang in '05 while dancing to the music spun by the DJ. Suprisingly, the Backlot has a fairly good view of the DL fireworks, so I didn't miss any of those.

Darkbeer
01-01-2005, 09:12 PM
How busy was DL and DCA?, Aloha Julie, or others that were there...

I was told that DL did not close their gates at any time during the day, I presume the weather had a lot to do with it....

SoCalSteven
01-02-2005, 12:04 AM
NYE at the parks was awesome!

Got there in the afternoon and caught a few shows of DUH over in DCA and then headed over to DL and rode Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, and the Teacups. The lines weren't bad at all, because it was around parade time. I watched the entire parade from the line at Alice. After that, my group went over to the Blue Bayou for dinner where I was literally standing shoulder-to-shoulder with James Franco (Harry in the Spiderman movies and from Freaks and Geeks). After that, we strolled back to DCA and saw the Fab Four until about 11:40. Grabbed a glass of champagne from the winery, then headed to the HP Backlot and rang in '05 while dancing to the music spun by the DJ. Suprisingly, the Backlot has a fairly good view of the DL fireworks, so I didn't miss any of those.
What did you have at the Blue Bayou?

SoCalSteven
01-02-2005, 12:06 AM
How busy was DL and DCA?, Aloha Julie, or others that were there...

I was told that DL did not close their gates at any time during the day, I presume the weather had a lot to do with it....
I couldn't really tell you any more than around Fantasmic there were crowds and congestion due to GC ropes, but elsewhere you could get around pretty well, even down Main St and past the Teacups/Matterhorn.

spaced mountain guy
01-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Best NYE in years, I left my house when it was just pouring outside. I told my GF that its raining and we might have to get some poncho's. When we finally arrived at the parking structure we parked up on Donald, time was about 4:30. Shouldnt be sold out there is still room left for parking :) We went into Disneyland and quickly grabbed some fastpasses for a few rides then headed over to DCA. We were going to grab some fastpasses for Ca. Screaming but they were sold out or werent giving any away. The wait was about 20 minutes for Ca Screamin. Amazing how fast the wait is without fastpass people cutting in line. We then headed to Hearthstone to warm up our bodies since we were both getting a bit cold. Great place to just relax and have some Hot Buttered Rum... YUM!!!. After that we walked down off of Disney property to get a small bottle of Champagne to toast at the castle at midnight. :~D Best fireworks show I have seen in a long time, it seemed for the finaly they were launching whatever was left from the year. There was so many launched up at one time. There were a few new effects and I really liked the star. After the fireworks and the last showing of F! we headed to BTMR and used up our last fastpass, didnt need it at all. After we rode BTMR I realised that the park was almost empty and we headed over to Splash for only a 10 minute wait. Great night and I was having fun just to find out where the NYE hats had been tossed at, Never saw one on Harold though :p

CoasterChickie
01-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Saturday night, DCA was busy and DL was packed from about 7-11. It was overcast, but the clouds were high so the they were able to do the fireworks!! We watched from right in front of IASW which was a great spot! My nephew was up on my BIL's shoulders catching all the snow. After the fireworkds it was crazy trying to get on IASW so the 9 of us eneded up in 3 different boats spaced really far apart! But we got back togeter afterward and hurried over to Frontierland just in time to see the begiinning of Fantasmic (which was not cancelled this time...YAY!!!) After that the crowd left and there was hardly anyone in the park.

Germboy
01-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Saturday night, DCA was busy and DL was packed from about 7-11. It was overcast, but the clouds were high so the they were able to do the fireworks!! We watched from right in front of IASW which was a great spot! My nephew was up on my BIL's shoulders catching all the snow. After the fireworkds it was crazy trying to get on IASW so the 9 of us eneded up in 3 different boats spaced really far apart! But we got back togeter afterward and hurried over to Frontierland just in time to see the begiinning of Fantasmic (which was not cancelled this time...YAY!!!) After that the crowd left and there was hardly anyone in the park.

Sounds like we were on the same wavelength!

We watched the fireworks from IASW-- as every other year, I went specifically to record them. The rest of my party was having a good time dancing and carrying on, while the nerd (me) peeked through a view finder. The fireworks were great, although I was surprised at some of the dead space towards the beginning.

Immediately after the midnight fireworks, we hopped on IASW before the crowds started pushing onto it. Last year, we were the second boat on the ride in 2004!

I really liked the "Happy New Year, Regis and Dick" sign behind the emcee. That was a nice touch.

I missed the 2005 on top of the Matterhorn--and the meteorite looking thing that shoots across to light it.

The most interesting thing to me was the park's website actually labeling the midnight fireworks "Fantasy In The Sky."

ToursbabeC3po
01-03-2005, 12:51 AM
I was there New Year's Eve and it was not crowded at all compared to the past. I think because of the earlier rainstorms earlier in the day it scared some people away. Me and my friend had a blast! We watched both firework shows at Disneyland (Believe and countdown) and they were both great! I have never been in the park as a guest on New Year's Eve and it was so much fun I am going to make a tradition out of it and even bring the kids next year. Now that I have seniority I can get it off :-) Happy New years everyone!!!!!
(((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))
Toursbabe

cstephens
01-03-2005, 06:17 AM
We were only there for a couple of hours on New Year's Eve, but we were disappointed that they didn't have much merchandise this year. They usually have a button, t-shirts and sweatshirts, but this year, they only had pins (one for eve and one for day) and a Mickey in diapers (which I thought looked weird) to celebrate the coming of the new year. We didn't buy last year's stuff because we didn't care for the design, but I've got t-shirts and sweatshirts from several years before that with "happy new year" messages. Odd that they didn't do them this year.

mystycalchyk
01-03-2005, 07:54 AM
whew...we are back. Got in around 1 AM this morning, and here I sit at work...exhausted but still living on the high of Disneyland.

I thought it was fabulous, the fireworks were amazing! Being able to meet up with a few padders was great.

I admit I was a bit miserable in the rain earlier in the day...sitting huddled on my bench in about 4 layers of clothes plus a poncho and an umbrella... getting soaked. But the rain really kept the crowds away. It was the least crowded NYE I can ever remember. There was a group in front of us that kept telling people that the area behind us was blocked off and that they couldnt get through....which was true but still....I think they scared off alot of people from getting the best view in the place.

Coaster I got your message (thanks Andrew) and I called and left you a message but never heard back from you :(

kbanmen
01-03-2005, 07:57 AM
I worked at DCA at 11..saw the fireworks there..thought they were soo neat as we were close to view them..after they were finished I turned around and saw DL fireworks..awesome

Christiii
01-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Hey girl!! I was really thinking about you on NYE and hoping to get to DCA to meet you!! We just would not have made it till 11 tho, having to get up so early the next morning..but just know I was sending good thoughts your way, to stay dry, warm and have a GREAT NYE!!!