PDA

View Full Version : One Man's Dream film

innerSpaceman
12-10-2001, 03:36 PM
Have you seen the "Walt Disney: One Man's Dream" film at DCA?
What did you think of it?

Two quick observations of mine:
1) Very surprised they made mention of one of Walt's nervous breakdowns.

2) More evidence that Walt was a total doll / cutie / hottie / babe when he was in his artistic prime (Snow White / Fantasia era). He was not necessarily good looking in a boring conventional sense, but that debonair 'stach and that obvious gleam in the eye - what a dreamboat! The man had moxie. Talent seeping from his pores. Master of his domain and of a genre he practically created. Put it all together, the physical and the aura, and you've got looks that could kill.

LIMANDL4EVA
12-10-2001, 04:21 PM
but overall, was it better than back to neverland, or not, how would you rate it overall, and also are there any new looks to the tehater or the queue for the show?

innerSpaceman
12-10-2001, 04:25 PM
Theater looks to the same (drab), but the entry queue is full of new (old) Walt memorabilia. Didn't get to see much of that, as I sat in the main lobby till the show let in (I could sit in that room for hours and watch the loop at least six times in a row).

wonderful
12-10-2001, 05:00 PM
It is a wonderful addition to the animation building and, in spite of my earlier feeling that it belonged at Disneyland, I really like having some "Walt" in DCA and it fits very nicely. The inner theater is my only gripe... it could stand to have some stuff to look at... I would also incorporate the current Disney commercials and maybe some old ones as a pre-show... but, again, it's a lovely addition and should not be missed by any true Walt fan

blusilva
12-10-2001, 06:05 PM
I made my first tentative foray into DCA to see that film, and it was worth it. I just wish it were over in Disneyland.

The film made me cry. My brother ridiculed me. But it was Walt's birthday, so there. I thought it was very well done. Sort of glossed over a lot, and my brother complained that it didn't have enough about Roy in it. I reminded him it was about Walt, not Roy and he harumphed at me.

I loved the Animation building. My god, I could sit in that lobby for hours. I loved the Beast's Library. It's an amazing exhibit. It has all the charm that Innoventions lacks.

I loved the "Off The Page" shop at the end, too. I bought one of those Norman Rockwell-esque "Mickey draws himself as Walt" tshirts.

Morrigoon
12-10-2001, 06:07 PM
InnerSpaceman: I noticed the same thing when I was watching the A&E Bio of walt the other night - he was kinda cute! (Not directly in looks, but in the personality that came through them)

FriendOfDaisy
12-10-2001, 08:54 PM
I liked Back to Neverland better, but I had a particularly bad experience with the Walt film.

First, the CM introducing the film didn't know his lines at all - it was the second day, so I don't blame him, but he didn't handle himself well at all, stuttering and stammering through what he could piece together. On our way out of the theatre, we noticed the LED screen above the audience was displaying text in mirror image - does that board usually give the CMs their script? If it was displaying text backwards, that would make sense.

The real problem was that the film was projected out of focus - the entire thing! It gave me a headache that followed me home from the park - ugh!

The film itself was sort of strange. It toally omitted Ub Iwerks and made Walt's relationship with Roy seem... strange. Like Walt merely followed Roy wherever Roy went. Maybe that was the case, but it was portrayed in a way that made Walt seem like a loser. Now, I know that Walt was far from a saint, but it was strange to see this kind of portrayal in an Official Disney Film.

David

Nigel2
12-10-2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by FriendOfDaisy
On our way out of the theatre, we noticed the LED screen above the audience was displaying text in mirror image - does that board usually give the CMs their script?
No that is for the hearing impared. It is the entire audio for the movie backwards. The way that the people can see it and the movie is by taking a small pane of plexiglass (or plastic) and aiming it so it reflects the led and it shows in reverse (or forwards now after reflecting) and they can still see through it so they can see the whole screene. If you ever see a person giving a speach and they have blank pieces of plastic arround their podium they are using the same system.

FriendOfDaisy
12-10-2001, 10:20 PM
Wow, that's really clever! Does the park provide little pieces of plexi to hearing-impaired guests, or is this sort of thing prevalent enough that hearing-impaired people might carry around plexiglass for just this sort of thing?

David

bluepearl
12-10-2001, 10:23 PM
I liked the film. But did anyone happen to catch the broadcast (I believe it was a re-broadcast but I'm not sure) of the Walt Disney Story on ABC a few months back on the Wonderful World of Disney? I really loved that special. I only wish I had taped it. Anyhoo...I imagine two hours (or perhaps an hour and a half without commercials) would be a bit much to see at DCA. ;) I saw the film on Walt's birthday, and the CMs introducing and sending us off read from pieces of paper with the script on it. Thought it was a bit strange, but gave them the benefit of the doubt, seeing as it was a different film and all.

Nigel2
12-11-2001, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by FriendOfDaisy
Wow, that's really clever! Does the park provide little pieces of plexi to hearing-impaired guests, or is this sort of thing prevalent enough that hearing-impaired people might carry around plexiglass for just this sort of thing?

David
They do have the little stands for them, I think you can see them out from time to time by the CM.
Yeah BP they are going to sell that special on video soon.